Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

Summer League Schedule:

http://www.nba.com/summer-league-201...0&sf88936190=1

Something like 25 teams are participating in the East Coast Summer League Tournament. Should be great. (Portland is not one of them.)

Portland has three excellent opponents scheduled for the Las Vegas Summer League, Utah, Boston, then San Antonio.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

Per Rotoworld:

Adrian Wojnarowksi of The Vertical believes that LeBron James could leave the Cavaliers in 2018.

"Not only is there no guarantee he’s coming back, I’m not sure there’s an expectation he’s re-signing there," Wojnarowski said. "I think they feel, I think within Cleveland and around the league, they feel that he’s very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two L.A. teams. The Lakers could very well be a target." Woj mentions the Lakers, Clippers and Heat as potential destinations, and he added that LeBron's title with Cleveland last year means he's "liberated to leave again." LeBron has one year left on his deal with a player option for a second, but the Cavs certainly have a reason to be nervous.

Source: The Vertical
    If this is true, this likely means that neither Irving nor Love will be dealt this offseason for this reason: no matter next season's outcome, the Cavs would still retain two star players for the '19 season.

The Mavericks have emerged as "serious contenders" to sign Jrue Holiday according to Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated.

Ian Begley of ESPN reported back in May that the Mavericks were interested in Holiday, so not much has changed nearly a month later. The Pelicans said their top priority is to bring back Holiday and they can offer more money than any other team, so they are likely the favorite to re-sign the point guard. Jrue did say that he would like to play with his brother Justin and the Mavericks are interested in him as well, so that would certainly increase Dallas' appeal. Jrue just turned 27 and is coming off a strong season with averages of 15.4 points, 7.3 assists, 3.9 rebounds, 0.7 blocks, 1.5 steals and 1.5 treys on 45.4 percent shooting.

Source: Jake Fischer on Twitter
    Losing Holiday could devastate the Pelicans. As for Dallas, signing Holiday would be a coup, as this would allow the Mavs to draft either Markkanen or Anunoby were either available at #9.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Go Jazz!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Go Jazz!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Adrian Wojnarowksi of The Vertical believes that LeBron James could leave the Cavaliers in 2018.

"Not only is there no guarantee he’s coming back, I’m not sure there’s an expectation he’s re-signing there," Wojnarowski said. "I think they feel, I think within Cleveland and around the league, they feel that he’s very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two L.A. teams. The Lakers could very well be a target." Woj mentions the Lakers, Clippers and Heat as potential destinations, and he added that LeBron's title with Cleveland last year means he's "liberated to leave again." LeBron has one year left on his deal with a player option for a second, but the Cavs certainly have a reason to be nervous.

Yeah, I agree with that. For LeBron, and no other NBA player fir the last 20 years, he has to create his own Mountains to climb.

He's scaled Mount Cleveland, Mount Miami, and has been King of the Eastern Mountain Range for seven years.

The Seven-Year Itch is a real human event. It happens in every relationship, in every person.

LeBron must do what's best for LeBron, and that means, "Go West, Young Man!"

Monetarily, the Lakers make the most sense, but the Clippers would work. He'd have more control as a Clipper, so I think that's where he goes.

Two years from now, the Clippers are committed to be at $19M under the cap, and contracts could be moved to free up a ton more.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2019/
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2017 at 06:27 PM.

It would be kind of hilarious if he signed with the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

He's not leaving the Cavs. I love NBA rumors, but this one is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It would be kind of hilarious if he signed with the Warriors.
    Never in a million years. There's no challenge there. LeBron wants a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He's not leaving the Cavs. I love NBA rumors, but this one is dumb.
    Bet you a million dollars he's gone after 2017-18. There are no incentives to keep him there.

From ESPN...

Jerry West, a Basketball Hall of Famer as a player and an executive, intends to leave his position as an adviser to the Golden State Warriors to take on a similar role with the LA Clippers. He called leaving the Warriors -- who won their second NBA title in three years -- "one of the saddest nights of my life," because of the respect he has for the Golden State organization and the players he has worked with.

"I knew I was going to be leaving. I didn't know what I was going to be leaving to," West told ESPN. "Was this the end of me being productive? Every person is different in terms of their lives and how people age. I don't feel old; I feel really competitive. "Sometimes you need to be challenged. I've kind of been defiant my whole life, the way I was raised, and I think this is like the defiant streak in me. I don't know."

For the exact same reasons West is leaving the Warriors (which is the beginning of their demise) to join the Clippers, James will leave the Cavs to join the Clippers. These two legends will independently join forces to knock the Warriors from the perch of the Western Conference, if some other team doesn't do it first.

"Go West, Young Man" has more meaning to it now.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2017 at 07:15 PM.

From ESPN...

Jerry West, a Basketball Hall of Famer as a player and an executive, intends to leave his position as an adviser to the Golden State Warriors to take on a similar role with the LA Clippers. He called leaving the Warriors -- who won their second NBA title in three years -- "one of the saddest nights of my life," because of the respect he has for the Golden State organization and the players he has worked with.

"I knew I was going to be leaving. I didn't know what I was going to be leaving to," West told ESPN. "Was this the end of me being productive? Every person is different in terms of their lives and how people age. I don't feel old; I feel really competitive. "Sometimes you need to be challenged. I've kind of been defiant my whole life, the way I was raised, and I think this is like the defiant streak in me. I don't know."

For the exact same reasons West is leaving the Warriors (which is the beginning of their demise) to join the Clippers, James will leave the Cavs to join the Clippers. These two legends will independently join forces to knock the Warriors from the perch of the Western Conference, if some other team doesn't do it first.

"Go West, Young Man" has more meaning to it now.
    West, no doubt, deserves some credit for the Warriors' success -- After all, he's the one who was adamant that the team not include Klay Thompson in a deal to Minny for Kevin Love. But, so long as Bob Myers remains in the Bay Area as Warriors GM, I wouldn't shovel dirt on the Warrior franchise anytime soon.

If the Clips resign both Paul and Griffin, as well as bring Lebron into the fold, you're going to have the same issues in LA as Cleveland as far as matching up with the Warriors -- even worse, as Love can at least stretch the floor. Now, if Griffin is gone and you have Paul, LeBron and DeAndre Jordan in tow, and proceed to recruit Paul George to Clipperland (George grew up as a Clippers, not Lakers, fan), then you may be on to something.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Bet you a million dollars he's gone after 2017-18. There are no incentives to keep him there.
    I can think of one major incentive to stay in Cleveland: Control. He's not going to be able to control West, Ballmer (even though Ballmer, more or less, stays out of day-to-day personnel decisions) or whomever the next coach and GM are if Doc were to be canned.

I"m not at all suggesting that LeBron's exit from Miami had nothing to do with repairing his image and delivering a Championship to Cleveland, but let's face it... The fact that Pat Riley wouldn't cater to LeBron and his entourage played a huge factor in his Miami departure. LeBron even tried to get Spoelstra fired. Fortunately, Riley was (is) too smart for that.

It goes without saying that Cleveland with a GM the caliber of Riley, who wouldn't cater to LeBron's every whim, wouldn't be in the capped-out mess (with a ton of flushed $$) that they are currently in.

He gets to play with Kyrie for one. Why would he leave to play for the Lakers or the Clippers? They have minimal opposition in the East, so he gets to play in the Finals every year, and that isn't going to change (Milwaukee will get better, Boston is what it is, neither is beating any version of the Cavs in a 7 game series). He's from there. No one can pay him more money.

I can see like 42 year old Lebron going to be the bench veteran from some team, but he is still very much in his prime, and there is no reason for him to leave his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    West, no doubt, deserves some credit for the Warriors' success -- After all, he's the one who was adamant that the team not include Klay Thompson in a deal to Minny for Kevin Love. But, so long as Bob Myers remains in the Bay Area as Warriors GM, I wouldn't shovel dirt on the Warrior franchise anytime soon.
    No doubt. Not even close to what happened to the Lakers. Memphis didn't fold, either, but they haven't taken that next step.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He gets to play with Kyrie for one. Why would he leave to play for the Lakers or the Clippers? They have minimal opposition in the East, so he gets to play in the Finals every year, and that isn't going to change (Milwaukee will get better, Boston is what it is, neither is beating any version of the Cavs in a 7 game series). He's from there. No one can pay him more money.

I can see like 42 year old Lebron going to be the bench veteran from some team, but he is still very much in his prime, and there is no reason for him to leave his situation.
    Because it's not about the easy route to the Finals. There won't be an easy route any more as Boston proved they can take the #1 seed with an incomplete roster.. Cleveland doesn't have rising youngsters. They are already $20M+ over the cap for the next two seasons. They won't improve.

That's not the type of Challenge LeBron is looking for. If Cleveland fans say anything bad about him for leaving again after what he did for them, they don't deserve him. LeBron will go West to the Clippers and he doesn't need control and West will be an advisor, while LeBron will be an advisor. Balmer knows how to handle powerful decision-makers. Doc is gone. That's the only way West would agree to be an advisor there.

Turn Off Ads?