Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season..."Closing the gap on the Warriors"

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Having watched all his games, I can say you heard wrong. Like all shooters, he has irrational confidence, but, for the most part, he shoots what's given to him.

Monk's issues are two-fold. He tends to fall in love with a mid-range fade-away when challenged, and he'll occasionally drive into the teeth of the defense instead of settling for easy floaters. He'll need to fix those moving forward, but, for the most part, he's going to be lethal and ready (offensively) from the get-go.

Defensively is another story. So is rebounding.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm hoping Olshey is setting things up to reach out and grab Tatum if he falls past 6. I'd love it if he found a way to move to 5 or 6 to grab Tatum.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Probably not. David Aldridge and Adrian Wojnarowski are both reporting that it's a done deal; to be finalized Monday with the Sixers sending Boston the 3rd selection plus LA's 2018 and SAC's 2019 picks (allegedly with protections). That makes sense because I don't think there's any way that Fultz gets diverted from Boston for a Philly visit unless there was a deal already agreed to in principle, but contingent on making sure that Fultz' foot wasn't broken (Philly fans will get that joke). And I don't see any way Fultz agreed to work out for a team with only an outside chance of being able to draft him.

The Lakers couldn't outbid that, even if they did have interest as reported. Their late first round pick this season is essentially valueless as low as it is and Randle wouldn't make up the gap even if he did make sense for the Celtics.

Now, it's interesting that the Celtics didn't wait until the draft to see who the Lakers grabbed with the #2 pick. To me, that makes it less likely that the Celtics will actually make a selection for their own team and more likely that they'll package that pick with other items for Jimmy Butler as rumored. I would not anticipate Ball dropping below pick 3- especially if it's really Chicago making the selection. I would, however, see Tatum dropping to the bottom of the top 10; if not out of it entirely. He's like a shorter clone of Jah Okafor. If Ainge actually kept the #3 pick and used it on Tatum, I'd chuckle.
    Just this year's #3 plus a future 1st (Lakers or Sacramento's).

From Rotoworld...

Updating a previous item, the Celtics are expected to receive the 2017 No. 3 pick and the 2018 Lakers picks with protections in exchange for the 2017 No. 1 pick, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical.

If that Lakers pick doesn't convey with the protections next year, the Celtics will receive the 2019 Kings pick. The protections are still not clear, but the NBA changed its rules where unprotected picks acquired in previous deals can add protections, so the 76ers could have some protections on these unprotected assets. This report of only getting two picks is also coming from the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald. The trade call will be finalized on Monday.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

I'm trying to picture the tall Fultz and Simmons vs the short C.J and Dame.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My attempt at a mock draft:

1.LA Lakers-Markell's Fultz (PG-Washington)
    2.Boston-Jayson Tatum (SF-Duke)
    3.Philadelphia-Josh Jackson (SF-Kansas)
    4.Phoenix-Jonathan Isaac (SF-Florida St)
    5.Sacramento-De'Aron Fox (PG-Kentucky)
    6.Orlando-Malik Monk (SG-Kentucky)
    7.Minnesota-Lauri Markannen (PF-Arizona)
    8.NY-Frank Ntilinka (PG-France)
    9.Dallas-Dennis Smith (PG- NC State)
    10.Sacramento-Zach Collins (PF-Gonzaga)
    11.Charlotte-OG Anunoby (SF-Indiana)
    12.Detroit-Donovan Mitchell (SG-Louisville)
    13.Denver-Justin Jackson (SF-UNC)
    14.Miami-Lonzo Ball (PG-UCLA)
    15.Portland-Justin Patton (C-Creighton)
    16.Chicago-John Collins (PF-Wake Forest)
    17.Milwaukee-Bam Adebayo (PF-Kentucky)
    18.Indiana-Jarrett Allen (C-Texas)
    19.Atlanta-Tony Bradley (C-UNC)
    20.Portland-Jordan Bell (PF-Oregon)
    21.OKC-Terrance Ferguson (SG-Australia)
    22.Brooklyn-Harry Giles (PF-Duke)
    23.Toronto-Ivan Rabb (PF-Cal)
    24.Utah-TJ Leaf (PF-UCLA)
    25.Orlando-Frank Jackson (PG-Duke)
    26.Portland-Isaiah Hartenstein (PF-Lithuania)
    27.Brooklyn-Ike Anigbogu (C-UCLA)
    28.Boston-Luke Kennard (SG-Duke)
    29.San Antonio-Semi Ojeleye (SF-SMU)
    30.Utah-DJ Wilson (SF-Michigan)

1. I have the Lakers moving up to take Fultz. Lakers will give up both first round picks plus Julius Randle.

2. Yes, I also have Lonzo Ball going on a slide. I think the concern over LaVar Ball, lackluster workouts, and throwing everything into the Lakers is going to backfire. Miami makes the most sense as Riley and Spoelstra reel him in and pair him with Justice Winslow.

3. I think Jayson Tatum is more of a Danny Ainge type of player than Josh Jackson. If Boston trades down I don't think they will be doing so for Jackson but it will be a smokescreen similar to last year with Jaylen Brown over Jamal Murray.
    An NBA Mock Draft by anyone, even the so-called experts, in this one-and-done/underclassman-centric era is an exercise in futility. May as well have fun with it. Last year, with many projected first-rounders (some, lottery projected) winding up in the second and vice-versa, was the wackiest in memory.

Ball to Dallas would be priceless with the LaVar and Cuban dynamic.Ball landing in Miami would amount to falling into a pile of manure (Falling precipitously in this draft) only to emerge smelling like a rose.

More thoughts:

A future front-line of Issac, Chriss and Bender...Man, that'd be scary in a few years.

Charlotte swinging for the fences, as you have them with the Anunoby pick, would be the first time that franchise has done so, which is one major reason why they've been stuck in a perpetual treadmill cycle.

Bradley and Bell have both been, reportedly rising up the draft charts. Bell. in particular, is interesting as, in addition to rim-protection, a good number of scouts view him as potentially capable of defending virtually any position on the floor. Ojeleye and Wilson are others of whom I believe will surprise.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-18-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Blazers brought in on the 12th:

20.2-yr old PF/C Caleb Swanigan
    19.9-yr old PF/C Thomas Bryant
    23.4-yr old SG Antonius Cleveland
    23.0-yr old SG Charles Cook
    22.2-yr old PG Justin Robinson
    20.0-yr old G Kobi Simmons

Monday is their last workout.

Bell and Rabb are supposed to be there. Would like to see Justin Jackson, Zach Collins, Jarrett Allen, Ike Anigbogu and Isaiah Hartenstein there.

I am very glad Markanen hasn't been here. I want nothing to do with him. He looks like a major bust to me.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Here are a couple of Draft Day trade ideas -- both involving the Phoenix Suns, which, theoretically, can be executed in one night:

Bucks improve bench; Suns grab another top 20 pick.

To Bucks:
    Jared Dudley
    Pick #32
    2018 2nd from Suns

To Suns:
    Mirza Teletovic
    Pick #17

Hornets add rim-protection, scoring punch at small forward, and a scoring, ball-handling option/compliment to take pressure off Kemba Walker; Suns add defensive-minded small forward who compliments their young existing forwards, an athletic option to tag-team with Alex Len, and a bigger, surprisingly efficient, shooting guard to spell Booker.

To Hornets
    Tyson Chandler
    Brandon Knight
    TJ Warren
    Pick #54

To Suns
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Jeremy Lamb
    Cody Zeller

Yay or nay?
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-18-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

A future front-line of Issac, Chriss and Bender...Man, that'd be scary in a few years.

Charlotte swinging for the fences, as you have them with the Anunoby pick, would be the first time that franchise has done so, which is one reason that they've been stuck in a perpetual treadmill cycle.
    Phoenix is putting together several good pieces that will grow together.

Bam is very much in play for Portland. He was very impressive in his workout here. He really stood out.

I wonder if Portland is hoping one of Bam, Patton, John Collins or other PF/C's they like are there at #20. Justin Jackson will not be. I still go with my original thought that they hold onto the #20 (maybe moving up 2-3 spots to a targeted player if they can/have to), and use #15, #26, future 1st's/2nd's and contracts (Crabbe/Leonard/Davis/Connaughton/Ezeli) to move up to a targeted player.

Love the Hornets/Suns trade for both teams. Don't know enough about Teletovic to have an opinion.

Hornets are more built for winning now. What they get helps them much more than what they give away. Suns benefit well from this.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    An NBA Mock Draft by anyone, even the so-called experts, in this one-and-done/underclassman-centric era is an exercise in futility. May as well have fun with it. Last year, with many projected first-rounders (some, lottery projected) winding up in the second and vice-versa, was the wackiest in memory.

Ball to Dallas would be priceless with the LaVar and Cuban dynamic.Ball landing in Miami would amount to falling into a pile of manure (Falling precipitously in this draft) only to emerge smelling like a rose.

More thoughts:

Charlotte swinging for the fences, as you have them with the Anunoby pick, would be the first time that franchise has done so, which is one major reason why they've been stuck in a perpetual treadmill cycle.

Bradley and Bell have both been, reportedly rising up the draft charts. Bell. in particular, is interesting as, in addition to rim-protection, a good number of scouts view him as potentially capable of defending virtually any position on the floor. Ojeleye and Wilson are others of whom I believe will surprise.
    I picked Isaac there because of the logjam Phoenix has at PG with Knight, Bledsoe, and Ulis, and the UK homer in me thinks Ulis could be the steal of last years draft.

In that situation though, Lonzo Ball would be a better fit in Phoenix having Booker to create for than Fox who is more of the lead guard.

I wouldn't characterize Anunoby as swinging for the fences though. He basically fits the Charlotte profile in a polished college player (Raymond Felton, Sean May, Frank Kaminsky, Cody Zeller, Kemba Walker).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Paul George surprises no one by announcing he isn't resigning with the Pacers.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Yeah Pacers mgmt is in disarray with Bird stepping down, and every time George opens his mouth he further kills his trade value. Rumor has it Cleveland wants in but I have to think Indiana floated this rumor just to generate some interest to get the Lakers to come to the table to make a deal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Paul George surprises no one by announcing he isn't resigning with the Pacers.
    That's so unprofessional, while back-stabbing a franchise that was nothing but good to you. No wonder Bird stepped down. Sick of dealing with players like George. I didn't want him before as a Blazer. I definitely don't want him now. Ainge would never bring a guy like him for as much as he would cost into the Celtics organization. Can't see Jerry West recommending him, either. He's destined to become a Laker. Pritchard may as well get what he can from the Lakers now and get rid of the guy. He'll be lucky to get a future 1st Rd pick. They will get a better draft pick next year if they get rid of him now and all of his minutes can be used for development. Get rid of everyone 26+ years of age now and give those minutes to the future while getting a better draft pick next season.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Pritchard and the Pacers deserve better. Pritchard will figure it out.

BTW, teams don't agree to a deal five days before the draft unless one of them needs it done in order to make another deal with the acquired draft pick(s). Boston is definitely trying to trade what they just acquired from Philly before the draft is over. Since they have #37, #53 & #56, it's not for anyone in the 2nd or bottom of the first as they could move up to acquire that. There could be someone projected 5-20 that they want and may as well pay the correct price for him. Or, they may want to make sure they can get the blockbuster player they want, such as Anthony Davis, by sending four 1st's, two of which would be very good thanks to this trade, so they can skip drafting a Center. How can New Orleans not take four 1st's, since they have failed miserably to make use of Davis anyway and are still years away from doing so? Start over again with a goldmine of assets to build a new foundation.

It's going to be very difficult for the East to keep the Sixers out of the playoffs. I know teams in the NBA don't make huge jumps in one season, but there's no reason why their goal can't be the #4 seed. Boston, Cleveland and Washington should be 1-3. Miami, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and depending what happens in the Draft, Trades and Free Agency, Toronto, Chicago, Detroit and Charlotte will fight it out for 4-10. Knicks, Pacers, Nets, Orlando and Atlanta are all in either major rebuild or rudderless.

Philly could make themselves more balanced by acquiring one of only two players who shot 300+ Three's @ 44%+ last season. (Korver is the other) The #36 or #39 pick would probably do it. That still gives them three more 2nd's. Paul Allen would probably rather keep him for one more year if he couldn't get #36, as Olshey can still get under the cap and avoid tax for this season and thus the double-tax kicker when he'll surely be over the cap in '18-'19. Philly can absorb Crabbe's salary for at least two of the three years left on it, and it may not seem like so much by then for a sharpshooter who can space the floor like no other. Sixers need spacing. Simmons and Furtz will take shots away from Covington and Saric, but neither of them can come close to shooting as well as Crabbe, who has improved his FG% each of his years in the league.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-19-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Turn Off Ads?