Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Euro soccer thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

2017-18 Euro soccer thread

This week's signings/rumored signings (Messi extension, Lacazette to Arsenal, Lukaku to Manchester United? Rooney to Everton?) reminded me it's about time to start a new season thread.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2017-18 Euro soccer thread

Gareth Bale might get sold back to the EPL this summer. That would be fascinating. As a Madrid fan, I vastly prefer the team sell Bale than sell Morata.

On a side note, I got to razz a Barca fan yesterday - in Spanish even. They don't like hearing that Madrid currently reigns as the champion of Spain, Europe and the world.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Gareth Bale might get sold back to the EPL this summer. That would be fascinating. As a Madrid fan, I vastly prefer the team sell Bale than sell Morata.

On a side note, I got to razz a Barca fan yesterday - in Spanish even. They don't like hearing that Madrid currently reigns as the champion of Spain, Europe and the world.
    I've never been entirely convinced with Morata and think Lukaku would be the better signing for Manchester United.

My English team is Chelsea and it's been reasonably quiet so far but are now showing interest in re-signing Lukaku.

My one true love is Hibs of the Scottish Premiership. Looking to build on promotion last season with a 3/4 nice signings so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    I've never been entirely convinced with Morata and think Lukaku would be the better signing for Manchester United.

My English team is Chelsea and it's been reasonably quiet so far but are now showing interest in re-signing Lukaku.

My one true love is Hibs of the Scottish Premiership. Looking to build on promotion last season with a 3/4 nice signings so far.
    Morata's got a ridiculous set of skills. Lukaka might be a better fit for United just because Mourinho likes to play direct. A lot of Morata's game would be wasted in that system. He'd be amazing with Arsenal, maybe Liverpool too.

I could see Chelsea moving on Bale. That seems like a good fit.

I've never understood why Hibs and Hearts aren't bigger clubs (not that you personally would wish good things for Hearts being a Hibs fan). You'd think they'd be able to break through Old Firm domination every now and then. Glad to hear Hibs is looking to return with some gusto. My suggestion is go after North Americans. Lots of capable players on this continent who don't make a lot of money.

Rooney to Everton is now official. Chelsea added central defender Antonio Rudiger from Roma.

Morata's got a ridiculous set of skills. Lukaka might be a better fit for United just because Mourinho likes to play direct. A lot of Morata's game would be wasted in that system. He'd be amazing with Arsenal, maybe Liverpool too.

I could see Chelsea moving on Bale. That seems like a good fit.

I've never understood why Hibs and Hearts aren't bigger clubs (not that you personally would wish good things for Hearts being a Hibs fan). You'd think they'd be able to break through Old Firm domination every now and then. Glad to hear Hibs is looking to return with some gusto. My suggestion is go after North Americans. Lots of capable players on this continent who don't make a lot of money.
    Hibs and Hearts are big clubs but just overshadowed by Celtic and Rangers. Doesn't help that 50% of the people from the East still support the teams from the West.

Morata is Chelsea bound.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Morata is Chelsea bound.
    He's going to score buckets of goals.

He's going to score buckets of goals.
    Why are you so confident? When he wore the juventus shirt for Conte he was less prolific than Llorente and Mandzukic at scoring, and they were not the big striker, tevez was that guy.
    Juve let him go back to Madrid and signed Higuain to replace Tevez, who has to be the main striker or nothing. Higuain and Tevez are alpha strikers and Morata isn't. Morata is comfortable being a sub and that should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Why are you so confident? When he wore the juventus shirt for Conte he was less prolific than Llorente and Mandzukic at scoring, and they were not the big striker, tevez was that guy.
    Juve let him go back to Madrid and signed Higuain to replace Tevez, who has to be the main striker or nothing. Higuain and Tevez are alpha strikers and Morata isn't. Morata is comfortable being a sub and that should tell you something.
    I say it because I've watched him play a ton. In fact, I'm seriously bummed he's left for Chelsea. If I had to pick a player ready to score 30+ goals for the next five seasons, it would be Morata. Juve didn't let him go back to Madrid. Madrid had a buy-back clause.

And he's not comfortable being a sub. That's why he's in Chelsea. He wanted to go to a major club that's in the Champions League where he could be the #9.

If I had to pick a player ready to score 30+ goals for the next five seasons, it would be Morata.
    Only twice in the last seven years has a Premier league player scored 30 times. Are you saying that a non-starter who has only score more than 10 goals once in his career is going to be the best striker in the EPL?

Only twice in the last seven years has a Premier league player scored 30 times. Are you saying that a non-starter who has only score more than 10 goals once in his career is going to be the best striker in the EPL?
    You're not counting all his goals. Teams play a lot more than just league games. He scored 20 last year, 12 the season before and 15 the season before that. When I say 30+ goals, I'm talking league and cups.

As for best striker in the EPL, he certainly could be. Best in the EPL is a fairly low bar. That's Harry Kane right now. I like Harry Kane, but do you think the top teams are quaking in their boots when they see Harry Kane lined up on the other side? You can make the same argument on Morata at the moment, but I think his broad set of skills is going to fit nicely with that Chelsea team and he's going to cause a panic for EPL defenses.

Many people, including me, only count league goals. The reason is that other competitions like domestic cups, European leagues, preseason freindlies all present at least a few matches of very unequal teams so goals are easy to claim in those matches. Cups always have second and even third division teams playing first division teams, European competitions always have some easy matchups for the strong teams.
    Using league goals as a player's goal scoring measurement is comparing apples to apples.

Many people, including me, only count league goals.
    Then many people need to update their thinking. I mean, if you're on a mid- or lower-table team, you probably won't play much beyond your league schedule. For a club like Chelsea, which is going to be a serious contender for two domestic cups and in European competition, there's more than just the league going on.

And very unequal teams? You mean like Brighton Hove & Albion, Huddersfield Town and Burnley?

Anyway, look for Morata to be yet another Spaniard who comes to the EPL and torches it.

If PSG pulls off this Neymar move, they will be a really fun team to watch this year.

Turn Off Ads?