Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Hunter Greene

(Okay new thread to bypass the signing drama)

Some say he's Dwight Gooden, Some say a non-roided version of A-Rod.

What say ye? Kid's special. As much as he is a stud on the mound.... that bat is soooooo tempting. Will the development of other players (both positional and pitchers alike) deem where he ultimately goes (fills the needs)- or do the Reds mint his role on the mound or in the 6 hole from the start?

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hunter Greene

Everything about his situation is fascinating. I can't wait to hear the plan they have for him for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    (Okay new thread to bypass the signing drama)

Some say he's Dwight Gooden, Some say a non-roided version of A-Rod.

What say ye? Kid's special. As much as he is a stud on the mound.... that bat is soooooo tempting. Will the development of other players (both positional and pitchers alike) deem where he ultimately goes (fills the needs)- or do the Reds mint his role on the mound or in the 6 hole from the start?

Discuss.
    What about his bat is tempting? Kid hit .324 his senior year in high school. That is nothing to be excited about at all.

5. Likes:

NC Reds (07-08-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm excited to have Greene as part of the organization and one of its top prospects. Looking forward to following his development and success for a long, long time.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Benihana (07-07-2017)

It seems as if the Reds have a number of SS prospects, if you consider Garcia, Downs, and Case. And that doesn't count Greene or AlfRod. Someone is eventually going to have to move elsewhere. Interesting that several news outlets this afternoon are still listing Greene as a P/SS.

Personally, I'd rather forget the pitching and focus on the position and hitting. I think as a position player that the risk of Greene becoming a washout greatly diminishes. Maybe Greene becomes a TOR stud. Most likely he doesn't. I don't care about the 100+ mph fastball. That means that he can throw the ball. But can he pitch?

Use that deep draft next year to get your pitcher.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

There's no sense in talking about Greene as a position player, it's not happening.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-08-2017),reds44 (07-07-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-08-2017),Tony Cloninger (07-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    There's no sense in talking about Greene as a position player, it's not happening.
    No doubt, but I'm curious as to what to think the Reds really think the possible upside with his bat could be. In no way do I ever want him playing SS, but if they really do feel like he can be a really good hitter, I wouldn't mind seeing him DH.

Pitch
    Off Day
    DH
    DH
    Off Day
    Pitch

Or something along those lines. When he eventually gets to the majors, having his bat off the bench 4 out of every 5 days could be a huge asset and add legit value to him as a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    No doubt, but I'm curious as to what to think the Reds really think the possible upside with his bat could be. In no way do I ever want him playing SS, but if they really do feel like he can be a really good hitter, I wouldn't mind seeing him DH.

Pitch
    Off Day
    DH
    DH
    Off Day
    Pitch

Or something along those lines. When he eventually gets to the majors, having his bat off the bench 4 out of every 5 days could be a huge asset and add legit value to him as a player.
    Best case (knowing nothing that wows me with his bat) maybe he is a Madison Bumgarner with the bat.

But to be any sort of regular DHish guy would require constant preparation on hitting.

14. Likes:

Joseph (07-09-2017)

Where would Greene even rank in the Reds organization SS wise?
    1) Jeter
    2) Alf
    3) Garcia
    4) Greene
    5) Case
    (How would you rank them?)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Best case (knowing nothing that wows me with his bat) maybe he is a Madison Bumgarner with the bat.

But to be any sort of regular DHish guy would require constant preparation on hitting.
    I was talking as he works his way through the low minors (where they have a DH) so he does continue to get preparation on hitting. Then when he gets to the majors he's a viable PH option off the bench.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-07-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    I was talking as he works his way through the low minors (where they have a DH) so he does continue to get preparation hitting. Then when he gets to the majors he's a viable PH option off the bench.
    I see. I was thinking you were anticipating the DH coming.

I wouldn't mind throwing him a bone every now and then just to see how he fares (mayyyyyyyyybe we'd see a flash of something) ...but I'd rather him focus on becoming a big league pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah, having a player this good in both facets of the game is intriguing, but the reality is, he may have been a first round SS talent but the Reds could've drafted FAR better offensive prospects at #2.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

You can say whatever you want about overhype or whatever, it's still crazy to me that the Reds actually landed this guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

cincyinco (07-08-2017),cooperlamar (07-10-2017),Edd Roush (07-08-2017),HeatherC1212 (07-10-2017),kearns and dunn (07-08-2017),OnBaseMachine (07-08-2017),paintmered (07-08-2017),RED VAN HOT (07-08-2017),reds1869 (07-09-2017),reds44 (07-08-2017),redsmetz (07-08-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-08-2017),Tuff Nut (07-08-2017),William (07-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Yeah, having a player this good in both facets of the game is intriguing, but the reality is, he may have been a first round SS talent but the Reds could've drafted FAR better offensive prospects at #2.
    I really don't get this whole "let's try him at SS" thing some people want. He's got the potential to be one of the best pitchers in baseball. Easy triple digit velocity with good control, athleticism, work ethic, and potential in his secondary stuff and you'd give that up because he could be a pretty good SS?

I want an ace. You'd think that watching our trainwreck of a rotation the last two years would have people thinking the same thing. Especially considering the early returns on Jeter Downs are looking promising.

22. Likes:

Nathan (07-08-2017),OGB (07-08-2017),Pacman Fever (07-08-2017),REDREAD (07-10-2017)

Lets say he projects as Dwight Gooden on the mound and Derek Jeter at SS. I know these are unrealistic expectations on both counts, but just for kicks assume it's realistic, which option would you rather have?

I'll take Gooden and I don't even need to think about it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

24. Likes:

REDREAD (07-10-2017)

Turn Off Ads?