Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lets say he projects as Dwight Gooden on the mound and Derek Jeter at SS. I know these are unrealistic expectations on both counts, but just for kicks assume it's realistic, which option would you rather have?

I'll take Gooden and I don't even need to think about it.
    Given injury risk I'd take Jeter.

But I don't think he's anywhere close to Jeter as a SS prospect, so I'm looking forward to him as a pitcher. Hopefully he'll be the next Johnny Cueto, with more gas.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-08-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Lets say he projects as Dwight Gooden on the mound and Derek Jeter at SS. I know these are unrealistic expectations on both counts, but just for kicks assume it's realistic, which option would you rather have?

I went back to look at Gooden's stats since he played before my time and I forgot how stupid good he was prior to the drug issues. His 1985 season has to rank as one of the all time best by a pitcher
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Dwight Gooden is part of the reason Jose Rijo played in the majors at a young age himself. Steinbrenner couldn't stand the Mets had a 19yo phenom who was stealing the sports pages headlines, and had the Yankees bring the 19yo Rijo up whether he was ready or not. Rjio was awful in his debut and got traded (with others) to the A's for Rickey Henderson in the 84-85 offseason.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

OGB (07-08-2017)

Although I'd love to have our next Barry Larkin for years to come, I want him as a pitcher and hope he has a successful career. Excited to see what the future holds for this youngster.
    Go Redlegs!

I think they should "raise him" as a starting pitcher. If that doesn't work out due to injury or otherwise I'd shift him back to SS. He's only 17. They've got plenty of time to shift him if need be.

Here's a question. If he's a RH Aroldis Chapman reliever, do you leave as a pitcher? I say no. So in summary: SP>SS>RP

Teams can win with a .550 OPS who "makes all the plays" at SS. The comparable pitcher is probably a 5th starter or swingman and teams need better than that to win. Potential Ace pitcher wins this battle IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (07-10-2017)

I know my answer isn't really in the spirit of your question, but I'd take a Gooden mainly because the Reds have never had one of those in my lifetime as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I went back to look at Gooden's stats since he played before my time and I forgot how stupid good he was prior to the drug issues. His 1985 season has to rank as one of the all time best by a pitcher
    He was pretty good even on all of the drugs. Had he been clean who knows what he would have achieved.

Last year, 16 of the top 20 leaders in WAR were position players, including the top six.

Now there are two ways of looking at this: 1) the truly dominant pitchers are more scarce making them more valuable or 2) a great position player can add more wins to your overall total.

To some extent, the scarcity factor is already added in to the positional adjustments for WAR, so No. 1 is diminished somewhat. IMHO, if you have a great potential position player along the lines of a Trout, Harper, etc., the probability suggests it's better to go for the position angle. Personally that's why I favor Green as a SS.

That said, with his pitching ability, I would never complain about the pitching preference and I get where people are coming from with wanting to go that route.

If nothing else, I say maximize his talents and make him a pitcher but go all out with his ability to pinch hit, designate hit and maybe even play in the field once in a while. I don't subscribe to the 'we can't get him hurt' idea. He's a guy that could win you a ton of games. Do it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Last year, 16 of the top 20 leaders in WAR were position players, including the top six.

Now there are two ways of looking at this: 1) the truly dominant pitchers are more scarce making them more valuable or 2) a great position player can add more wins to your overall total.

To some extent, the scarcity factor is already added in to the positional adjustments for WAR, so No. 1 is diminished somewhat. IMHO, if you have a great potential position player along the lines of a Trout, Harper, etc., the probability suggests it's better to go for the position angle. Personally that's why I favor Green as a SS.

That said, with his pitching ability, I would never complain about the pitching preference and I get where people are coming from with wanting to go that route.

If nothing else, I say maximize his talents and make him a pitcher but go all out with his ability to pinch hit, designate hit and maybe even play in the field once in a while. I don't subscribe to the 'we can't get him hurt' idea. He's a guy that could win you a ton of games. Do it.
    I just wonder about how much health or pitching development you chip away with such an aggressive approach. Unless I'm wrong he's not a guy that will just show up in the big leagues with a big league bat.

15. Likes:

Stingray (07-09-2017)

Well I for one am curious as to what dance routine Senzel would have performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    Well I for one am curious as to what dance routine Senzel would have performed.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (07-09-2017)

Please feel free to continue discussing Hunter Greene and his merits as a #1 pick.

Discussions that comment on his race will not be tolerated.

20. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-09-2017),paintmered (07-09-2017),Vander (07-09-2017),WrongVerb (07-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Please feel free to continue discussing Hunter Greene and his merits as a #1 pick.

Discussions that comment on his race will not be tolerated.
    Thanks for the thread cleanup.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm excited to have an uber talent like Hunter! He is the kind of guy that makes the losing more tolerable to get talents like him.

Turn Off Ads?