Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Last year, 16 of the top 20 leaders in WAR were position players, including the top six.

Now there are two ways of looking at this: 1) the truly dominant pitchers are more scarce making them more valuable or 2) a great position player can add more wins to your overall total.

or 3) on the field at any one time are 8 positional players but only one pitcher. Positional players will therefore have more time on the field to wrack up WAR. Having 16 positional players and 4 pitchers in the top 20 also means there are on average two players for each non-pitching (16/8) compared to 4 pitchers at that position.
    Last edited by klw; 07-10-2017 at 05:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Can someone PM me a rundown of the colorful posts I missed?

4. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2017),Hoosier Red (07-10-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-09-2017)

Last year, 16 of the top 20 leaders in WAR were position players, including the top six.

Now there are two ways of looking at this: 1) the truly dominant pitchers are more scarce making them more valuable or 2) a great position player can add more wins to your overall total.

To some extent, the scarcity factor is already added in to the positional adjustments for WAR, so No. 1 is diminished somewhat. IMHO, if you have a great potential position player along the lines of a Trout, Harper, etc., the probability suggests it's better to go for the position angle. Personally that's why I favor Green as a SS.

That said, with his pitching ability, I would never complain about the pitching preference and I get where people are coming from with wanting to go that route.

If nothing else, I say maximize his talents and make him a pitcher but go all out with his ability to pinch hit, designate hit and maybe even play in the field once in a while. I don't subscribe to the 'we can't get him hurt' idea. He's a guy that could win you a ton of games. Do it.
    Are you using fWAR or bWAR?

The issue is you are referring to all time great hitters, Harper, Trout, etc.

A-Rod batted .505 his senior year of high school.

Here's a little taste of what Bryce Harper did as a 17 year old in COLLEGE:

An advantage for Harper in his eventual transition to his professional career was that the SWAC, like MLB, uses wooden bats in conference play. In 66 games, he hit 31 home runs, 98 RBIs, hitting .443/.526/.987 (AVG/OBP/SLG).[8] His 31 home runs shattered the school's previous record of 12.
    Didn't Griffey bat like .600 in high school?

Greene batted .324 in his senior year of high school. I get you don't scout the line or whatever, but, that stinks for a future major league hitter.

This kid has the chance to be an ace. Have to go pitching route.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-09-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Are you using fWAR or bWAR?

The issue is you are referring to all time great hitters, Harper, Trout, etc.

A-Rod batted .505 his senior year of high school.

Here's a little taste of what Bryce Harper did as a 17 year old in COLLEGE:

Didn't Griffey bat like .600 in high school?

Greene batted .324 in his senior year of high school. I get you don't scout the line or whatever, but, that stinks for a future major league hitter.

This kid has the chance to be an ace. Have to go pitching route.
    You're really boiling it down to batting average? Seriously?

And what do you even mean "I get you don't scout the line or whatever?" Are we trying to make subtle ad hominem attacks? Kinda sounds like it.

Every single scouting report or article I've read on the kid says he would be a definite first round pick as a batter. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether that means top-5 or top-30, but still he's a first round pick. His power has been compared to Bryce Harper. He isn't as far along yet as a hitter as some other top-5 type hitters at his age, but by all accounts he has that kind of potential.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Stop pretending there is. It's a discussion. Not everything is black or white and this is one of those things.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-09-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

You're really boiling it down to batting average? Seriously?

And what do you even mean "I get you don't scout the line or whatever?" Are we trying to make subtle ad hominem attacks? Kinda sounds like it.

Every single scouting report or article I've read on the kid says he would be a definite first round pick as a batter. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether that means top-5 or top-30, but still he's a first round pick. His power has been compared to Bryce Harper. He isn't as far along yet as a hitter as some other top-5 type hitters at his age, but by all accounts he has that kind of potential.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Stop pretending there is. It's a discussion. Not everything is black or white and this is one of those things.
    I meant the general "you." It was certainly not meant as any kind of attack, I'm sorry I wrote it in a way it could be taken that way. I just see a lot of people say "don't scout the stat line." I don't know what ad hominem means, to be honest.

I certainly to do not put much weight on batting average, but when I see .324 for an "elite" bat in high school, it raises some eyebrows. Griffey batted .600, arod .500, harper .450 in JUCO with a wooden bat, etc.

Maybe Greene has a .600 obp because no one would pitch to him, idk.

Can you please link those scouting reports? I would enjoy reading them.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Royce Lewis, the #1 overall pick this year, hit .388 this season. California isn't exactly like playing in Nebraska.

9. Likes:

Brutus (07-10-2017)

Please keep this thread on the topic of Hunter Greene and refrain from discussing perceived board action against other posters.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

So here's my concern.

Let me preface with the thought that I'm becoming very comfortable with the notion that most pitchers finally mature around the age of 24. Granted a Sale or a Bumgarner or a Thor may arrive and excel earlier. But those are the outliers. Hey I hope Greene is an outlier. But what if he's not? Does this organization/fanbase/mediabase have the stomach to let such a "name" guy simmer for 6 years? That's a tall order.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (07-10-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So here's my concern.

Let me preface with the thought that I'm becoming very comfortable with the notion that most pitchers finally mature around the age of 24. Granted a Sale or a Bumgarner or a Thor may arrive and excel earlier. But those are the outliers. Hey I hope Greene is an outlier. But what if he's not? Does this organization/fanbase/mediabase have the stomach to let such a "name" guy simmer for 6 years? That's a tall order.
    They foisted Bailey upon use about two years before he was really ready. I fully expect them to do that with Greene. Maybe he handles it. Maybe not. But I'll just be hoping for the best.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Greene just posted a video on his Instagram story...he's in Arizona
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Greene just posted a video on his Instagram story...he's in Arizona
    STALKER! I'm going to alert the Reds.

He also tweeted this at Scott Schebler:

@scheb08 that catch in right field was sick! If I'm fortunate to get where you are I hope you're my right fielder.

https://twitter.com/HunterGreene17/with_replies

This kid is awesome on so many levels.

17. Likes:

Brutus (07-10-2017),Edd Roush (07-10-2017),HeatherC1212 (07-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He also tweeted this at Scott Schebler:

@scheb08 that catch in right field was sick! If I'm fortunate to get where you are I hope you're my right fielder.

https://twitter.com/HunterGreene17/with_replies

This kid is awesome on so many levels.

I want nothing more than for this kid to lead the way for many NL Cy Youngs and World Series Championships. You can't teach intangibles like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So here's my concern.

Yeah it is going to be interesting. He is not like a Mark Prior coming in with a nearly fully developed arsenal of pitches. He has a big fastball, a repeatable delivery and the drive to be great but everything else is very much a work in progress that is going to take time. How much patience people have with that, especially if the Reds continue to look like the do now (strong bats, strong bullpen, garbage starting pitching) remains to be seen. The hype is fun but its definitely not going to help when it comes to development.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (07-10-2017)

In reality, I would bet 98% of reds fans have very little idea who Hunter Greene is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?