Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Yeah it is going to be interesting. He is not like a Mark Prior coming in with a nearly fully developed arsenal of pitches. He has a big fastball, a repeatable delivery and the drive to be great but everything else is very much a work in progress that is going to take time. How much patience people have with that, especially if the Reds continue to look like the do now (strong bats, strong bullpen, garbage starting pitching) remains to be seen. The hype is fun but its definitely not going to help when it comes to development.
    He already has the offspeed stuff, and it's plus.

From John Sickels:

Greene already has 93-98 MPH fastball, the pitch earning 70 grades due to the combination of velocity and movement. He generates the heat with little effort and given his youth and build, even more velocity is possible as he matures. He already has a plus curveball and commands it better than most pitchers his age. His change-up is not as refined as the first two pitches but should be at least MLB average in time and very possibly plus.

With proper development he projects three plus pitches with impressive command, making him a top-of-the-rotation arm. Add in the intangibles and comparisons to Dwight Gooden or even Bob Gibson are not out of bounds if you want to dream and don’t believe in jinxes.
    The key, of course, is consistency. It's the same consistency every amateur pitcher is after. (And most of the pros, for that matter.)

I suspect he'll find it sooner rather than later simply because of his plus-plus work ethic (also in the above scouting report) and plus control.

No one knows the future, but Greene's been described as a possible "generational player" by Perfect Game. Comparing him to Bailey and other HS pitchers who weren't considered as such is like comparing Scott Feldman to Trevor Bauer.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-10-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He already has the offspeed stuff, and it's plus.

From John Sickels:

The key, of course, is consistency. It's the same consistency every amateur pitcher is after. (And most of the pros, for that matter.)

I suspect he'll find it sooner rather than later simply because of his plus-plus work ethic (also in the above scouting report) and plus control.

No one knows the future, but Greene's been described as a possible "generational player" by Perfect Game. Comparing him to Bailey and other HS pitchers who weren't considered as such is like comparing Scott Feldman to Trevor Bauer.
    Bob Gibson? Meh!

I don't know that his '68 season was all that great. He only won 22 games that year, with 13 shutouts.
    Is a 1.12 ERA in 304.66 innings good?

I suppose I would be happy with those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Please keep this thread on the topic of Hunter Greene and refrain from discussing perceived board action against other posters.
    No offense, but where would be the appropriate place to discuss something of this nature?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    No offense, but where would be the appropriate place to discuss something of this nature?
    With one of the moderators in a PM or by reporting a post. Speculation or calls for disciplining a poster never has a place on the open forum
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

OGB (07-11-2017),Plus Plus (07-10-2017),WrongVerb (07-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Bob Gibson? Meh!

I don't know that his '68 season was all that great. He only won 22 games that year, with 13 shutouts.
    Is a 1.12 ERA in 304.66 innings good?

I suppose I would be happy with those numbers.
    If I had to pick an all-time five-man rotation, Gibson would most definitely be one of my five. If High-speed Hunter turns out anything like Rapid Robert I'll be ecstatic.

9. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If I had to pick an all-time five-man rotation, Gibson would most definitely be one of my five. If High-speed Hunter turns out anything like Rapid Robert I'll be ecstatic.
    I judge people by their all-time five-man rotations.

All correct answers must include Walter Johnson.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

W.Johnson
    Grove
    Feller
    Pedro
    Maddux

There are times I'll be watching MLB network and Pedro is talking about pitching. I think to myself, for any 16 year old who is serious about pitching cannot have anything more important going on at that moment than listening to whatever it is Pedro is saying.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 07-10-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    In reality, I would bet 98% of reds fans have very little idea who Hunter Greene is.
    I thought it was the name of an apartment complex or condos.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

mace (07-11-2017)

I talked to a Giants area scout a couple of days ago and he said that Greene had the most lively (not Ben) arm he's ever seen. He said that the velocity is so effortless and that he's a special, special talent. He said the offspeed stuff is getting hated on too much. He said the slider had late, quick movement and darts out of the zone. He also said he was really happy to hear they were going to let him hit for a little while.

This isn't anything out of the norm from what we've heard about him but he had nothing but glowing reviews for the kid.
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

15. Likes:

BillDoran (07-11-2017),Edd Roush (07-11-2017),Griffey012 (07-11-2017),HeatherC1212 (07-11-2017),Hillsdale87 (07-11-2017),lollipopcurve (07-11-2017),mace (07-11-2017),marcshoe (07-11-2017),membengal (07-11-2017),OnBaseMachine (07-11-2017),reds44 (07-11-2017),Tom Servo (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    W.Johnson
    Grove
    Feller
    Pedro
    Maddux

There are times I'll be watching MLB network and Pedro is talking about pitching. I think to myself, for any 16 year old who is serious about pitching cannot have anything more important going on at that moment than listening to whatever it is Pedro is saying.
    W. Johnson
    Paige
    Kershaw
    Pedro
    Grove

I'm betting that Kershaw's later years are just as good as he's been. If not, sub in Clemens.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    W. Johnson
    Paige
    Kershaw
    Pedro
    Grove

I'm betting that Kershaw's later years are just as good as he's been. If not, sub in Clemens.
    I considered Kershaw. His past seven seasons virtually mirror Pedro's best seven years (1997-2003). But I went for total body of work and Kershaw doesn't quite have that yet.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I talked to a Giants area scout a couple of days ago and he said that Greene had the most lively (not Ben) arm he's ever seen. He said that the velocity is so effortless and that he's a special, special talent. He said the offspeed stuff is getting hated on too much. He said the slider had late, quick movement and darts out of the zone. He also said he was really happy to hear they were going to let him hit for a little while.

This isn't anything out of the norm from what we've heard about him but he had nothing but glowing reviews for the kid.
    Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I thought it was the name of an apartment complex or condos.

I actually used to live on Huntergreen drive. Little did I know...
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Steve Parris
    Elmer Dessens
    Greg Swindell
    Tim Belcher
    Tom Shearn
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I considered Kershaw. His past seven seasons virtually mirror Pedro's best seven years (1997-2003). But I went for total body of work and Kershaw doesn't quite have that yet.
    If he fails to make it to a World Series, does that damper his chances to be in the top five? Not a question for you specifically, just to embrace debate. I know it takes much more than a legit ace to win a pennant, but with recent performances by top pitchers (Bumgarner), these aces have been putting teams over the top. It's hard to say the Giants wouldn't have won their last championship without Bumgarner. He just dominated that series and it's one we'll talk about for a long time.

Turn Off Ads?