Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I considered Kershaw. His past seven seasons virtually mirror Pedro's best seven years (1997-2003). But I went for total body of work and Kershaw doesn't quite have that yet.
    I've always heard Pedro was on another level due to the run scoring environment but I can't back that up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    If he fails to make it to a World Series, does that damper his chances to be in the top five? Not a question for you specifically, just to embrace debate. I know it takes much more than a legit ace to win a pennant, but with recent performances by top pitchers (Bumgarner), these aces have been putting teams over the top. It's hard to say the Giants wouldn't have won their last championship without Bumgarner. He just dominated that series and it's one we'll talk about for a long time.
    I think Bumgarner, as good as he is, is a notch below Kershaw. Same with Scherzer. These dominant types come and go through the years, too, but there are a few pitchers, at most, in each generation who are elite of the elite. Where Kershaw might be this generation's Pedro, Bumgarner and Scherzer are this generation's Mussina.

To answer your direct question, I don't think earning a WS championship is a pre-req for being elite of the elite.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

BillDoran (07-12-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've always heard Pedro was on another level due to the run scoring environment but I can't back that up.
    Look at their ERA+. Pedro is in another universe even compared to Kershaw.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Look at their ERA+. Pedro is in another universe even compared to Kershaw.
    Compared to ANYONE. EVER.

His ERA+ of 291 in 2000 just destroys the rest of modern baseball. Greg Maddux in 1994 is the second best ever at 271.

To put that into perspective, Barry Bonds best season ever was only good for a 268 OPS+. He was significantly better than his peers in 2000 than Barry Bonds was in 2002.

Pedro Martinez, playing in a very hitter friendly Fenway, literally could have given up TWICE as many earned runs as he did, and still led the American League in ERA by 0.28.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (07-12-2017),nmculbreth (07-11-2017),WrongVerb (07-11-2017)

Walter Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Lefty Grove
    Eric Milton
    Bob Feller.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Pedro Martinez, playing in a very hitter friendly Fenway, literally could have given up TWICE as many earned runs as he did, and still led the American League in ERA by 0.28.
    That is impressive but it's also an indictment of the quality of starting pitching in the AL that season. In the MLB ERA leaders #2 thru 12 were all National Leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Walter Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Lefty Grove
    Eric Milton
    Bob Feller.
    Really, how can you put Bob Feller on that list?

My five:
    Walter Johnson
    Bob Gibson
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Lefty Grove

Sandy Koufax
    Pedro Martinez
    Randy Johnson
    Clayton Kershaw
    Hunter Greene
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (07-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Steve Parris
    Elmer Dessens
    Greg Swindell
    Tim Belcher
    Tom Shearn
    You are dead to me.

15. Likes:

OGB (07-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Walter Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Lefty Grove
    Eric Milton
    Bob Feller.
    You are nearly dead to me.

A coma.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sandy Koufax
    Pedro Martinez
    Randy Johnson
    Clayton Kershaw
    Hunter Greene
    You are also dead to me.

Nm
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That is impressive but it's also an indictment of the quality of starting pitching in the AL that season. In the MLB ERA leaders #2 thru 12 were all National Leaguers.
    Blame the Designated Hitter
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

W. Johnson
    C. Mathewson
    Grove
    Clemens
    Maddux
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You do know that the AL has the DH and the NL doesn't right?

Turn Off Ads?