Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own an RV?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Does anyone own an RV?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Ok, I'll say it: I think the RV idea will turn into a disaster. I think you way underestimate the cost of upkeep and cost the potential expensive repairs that can happen to an RV within your budget. Before I struck out in a vehicle like that and I didn't know the vehicle history intimately, I would put in a few thousand just in wheel bearings, seals, u-joints/cv-axle, etc, timing belt/chain, water pump, etc. Going through the Texas heat and up and down mountains puts an incredible stress on a vehicle like this.

I don't know what kind of geographical area you are looking at, but I would just rent an apartment in Arizona and drive your car around. Find a month-to-month rental, or find someone who may be going on vacation and is looking for a one month tenant. Anything but an RV. Don't do it.
    I kind of agree with this. Seems like extended-stay hotel plus uber to get around would essentially accomplish what you want without the hassles if something goes pear shaped.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I know where you can dump your sewage.

To someone echo the past two guys I'm concerned this would turn you into an RV guy (in terms of time and resources). I want Doug to be a baseball guy.

Ok, I'll say it: I think the RV idea will turn into a disaster. I think you way underestimate the cost of upkeep and cost the potential expensive repairs that can happen to an RV within your budget. Before I struck out in a vehicle like that and I didn't know the vehicle history intimately, I would put in a few thousand just in wheel bearings, seals, u-joints/cv-axle, etc, timing belt/chain, water pump, etc. Going through the Texas heat and up and down mountains puts an incredible stress on a vehicle like this.

I don't know what kind of geographical area you are looking at, but I would just rent an apartment in Arizona and drive your car around. Find a month-to-month rental, or find someone who may be going on vacation and is looking for a one month tenant. Anything but an RV. Don't do it.
    On my bucket list is to rent a RV and travel across the county in it. Take a year or more and head out hitting all kinds of destination points I want. Mainly it would be out west in the Rockies, I think it would be fun to be skiing one week and then in Arizona the next and then Big Sur the next. I think it would be fun to do that, wouldn't mind the expense of a long RV rental, but sure wouldn't want to own one.

I can't speak for Doug, but for me it seems like the "dream" of doing this outweighs the reality. With any kind of vehicle, you usually get what you pay for, and in his budget you could potentially get more than you can handle. Any repair work that will need to be done, outside of some basic repairs, and you are looking at paying someone upwards of $80/hour and often times on the road when you are at the mercy of the mechanic. If he could find a way to supplement his income he may be able to get a nicer RV with fewer headaches. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do.

I still don't know why it has to be an RV. Van seems workable for one person with about 75% less things that can go wrong.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Maybe its me, but the idea of watching a grown man film himself traveling across the country doesn't interest me. I would be more interested in a blog, not redsminorleauges.com blog, but a different blog just about your travels and such. You could attached photos and the occasional video if something funny, stupid, amusing happens.
    While it may not interest you, it does interest lots and lots of people. Maybe not necessarily me, but I follow lots of people on youtube that are doing bus/van/rv life that have 100,000+ subscribers each. It's definitely something that people are interested in.

Month to month renting isn't exactly easy to find. Looking at, say VRBO options, to stay in Goodyear for the month of March, starts at $1800 a month, or about $800 a month to rent a room in an already occupied house (this is a non-starter for me). A hotel in the Phoenix area (which is still 20-30 minutes from Goodyear on the highway) would be even more. Now, Phoenix/Goodyear is the most expensive of the places I travel for baseball in terms of hotel prices, but Pensacola is gaining ground, too. Now, perhaps I am underestimating the cost of repairs at some stage of the game. That's certainly possible.

If I can push my budget into that $9-10,000 range, I've seen some options from actual RV dealerships that would get me into that 1995-1999 range in terms of years with under 50,000 miles. From private dealers, similar ones are a little bit cheaper. Now, obviously, a dealer can get you just as much as a private seller can, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. I've got a friend who is a mechanic by trade, who if and when I decide to seriously look at something, I'm going to take with me to give it a look over and test drive. While that won't promise anything, it'll at least keep me from, hopefully, buying something that's going to need major mechanical work right out of the gate. I *think* I can probably handle any other kind of work that would need to be done, if needed (and could do a little bit of the mechanical work, depending on what it was).

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I kind of agree with this. Seems like extended-stay hotel plus uber to get around would essentially accomplish what you want without the hassles if something goes pear shaped.
    Well, if I went this route, I wouldn't need an uber as I'd just drive my car. But, just browsing Extended Stay America dot com puts me at over $2K for a 30 day stay. My plan was to spend roughly 30 days in each of Goodyear/Billings/Pensacola/Daytona. The math for that works out for 1 year to cost roughly what I'd be spending on the RV. Sure, there's no hassle if something goes pear shaped.... but that's also significantly more money than I can afford over a long period of time, too.

Assuming that things didn't go poorly in that first year, I could then re-sell the RV that I did have, save up again the following winter, and upgrade to something new/more reliable (in theory at least).

Again, I'm just talking my ideas out loud here. Maybe I'm completely missing out on something when it comes to staying in a city for 30ish days at a time not costing me $1800, but I'm not seeing it (again, for reasons I'm not getting into other than to say a disability causes me to have certain needs that sharing a home with someone I don't know isn't going to happen - so an airbnb room won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    To someone echo the past two guys I'm concerned this would turn you into an RV guy (in terms of time and resources). I want Doug to be a baseball guy.
    It wouldn't. Probably. I mean, I guess you never know - but that would apply whether or not this plan happens or not. Maybe Anna Kendrick falls madly in love with me. That would probably change Doug, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I still don't know why it has to be an RV. Van seems workable for one person with about 75% less things that can go wrong.
    It doesn't have to be an RV. I've been considering short bus conversions as well as van conversions.

The RV is just a tad more enticing because it's generally already done, so to speak. It's got the bathroom already (and I'd have to have at least a toilet in whatever vehicle I chose). It would save time of me having to put in all of that work. Perhaps (and probably not even perhaps) it's a little more expensive in the short term, and gas mileage wise, definitely more expensive in the long term - but it also gives more options. Having a traveling companion would be far easier. Being able to stay places that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Long term upkeep on an RV probably costs a lot more, too, though. With that said, I also think that as long as the RV doesn't just flat out die on me, it would be an easier sell if things didn't work out than finding someone to buy a 2002 Dodge customized camper van would be (as an example).

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-02-2017)

Good luck to you Doug. Seems like you have done your homework on this and I will be following updates. Very interesting and a nice diversion from some of the reds discussions on whether Schebler will ops .800 going forward or not etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Month to month renting isn't exactly easy to find. Looking at, say VRBO options, to stay in Goodyear for the month of March, starts at $1800 a month...
    If you can get a month to month for $1800, then that is cheaper than an RV will ever be. It will be completely furnished, and unless the laws are different in AZ, you won't pay sales tax on rentals that are 30 days and over. Plus, you won't be living in a Walmart parking lot, and you can have a normal life. And, as a prospective baseball journalist, people will take you more seriously.

I mean, I get where you are coming from. When I played music, I was car-less and practically homeless for months at a time, so I get the sense of adventure. If you want the RV for that purpose, then go for it. But it will not be cheaper. Good luck.

In my opinion, Fall to late fall is the best time of year to buy an RV because if they want to sell it, they want to before paying to place in storage. I got my camper van via an estate sale for only $2200. People post and say they got a good deal on something but never say how much they paid so there you go. It has a stove, fridge, toilet but no shower or generator. Mine is on the left. Fiance's on the right.

Name:  2 RVs 091316.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  88.6 KB
    Last edited by goreds2; 08-03-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

If you can get a month to month for $1800, then that is cheaper than an RV will ever be. It will be completely furnished, and unless the laws are different in AZ, you won't pay sales tax on rentals that are 30 days and over. Plus, you won't be living in a Walmart parking lot, and you can have a normal life. And, as a prospective baseball journalist, people will take you more seriously.

I mean, I get where you are coming from. When I played music, I was car-less and practically homeless for months at a time, so I get the sense of adventure. If you want the RV for that purpose, then go for it. But it will not be cheaper. Good luck.
    I think Doug mentioned he was hoping to take four 30 day trips in a year though.

Not be cheaper? How long do you think I plan on paying $2K a month, 3-4 times a year? Once? Twice? I don't plan on quitting my job anytime soon. This isn't a 1-year plan. This is a 15 year plan.

As far as taking me seriously.... I'm not bringing people back to my house. What's it matter if I'm staying in a roach infested motel, the Marriott or an RV?

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    In my opinion, Fall to late fall is the best time of year to buy an RV because if they want to sell it, they want to before paying to place in storage.
    That's kind of been a worry of mine because I simply won't have money to buy what I want until February - when I figure it's probably more of a sellers market because spring is around the corner and people are getting the "let's get out of the house" bug.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not be cheaper? How long do you think I plan on paying $2K a month, 3-4 times a year? Once? Twice? I don't plan on quitting my job anytime soon. This isn't a 1-year plan. This is a 15 year plan.

As far as taking me seriously.... I'm not bringing people back to my house. What's it matter if I'm staying in a roach infested motel, the Marriott or an RV?
    You have to remember that I am someone on the outside looking in. I don't know what your business plan is. All I know about you is that you live in someone's basement, and you have some kind of job that allows you to leave 3 to 4 months out of the year. And I made the assumption that you want to do this baseball thing full-time eventually. I think that's great. I've run a business for a long time, and it can be very good for the right person.

I'm just saying that I don't see the savings in using an RV. And if there are savings, I don't think it's enough for the trouble. It's going to cost you close to $1000 just for gas to Arizona and back, and we haven't even factored in additional car insurance or maintenance cost. If you are there specifically for spring training, every moment counts, and I'd hate to see you have on the deal with the broken RV instead of the task at hand.

As far as being taken seriously, I have no idea what the job environment is there. I assumed there would be a lot of networking involved, and the possibility of meeting new people and important contacts. I assumed that might be the possibility that you run into some executive, hit it off and start talking about our future business relationship, where you might be in the position to say, "Hey Bob, why don't you swing by tonight and we''ll put some ideas to paper." Things like that happen all the time and business, and you have to be ready to pounce. Heck, years ago I got into a conversation with the CEO of a company, and somehow we started talking about cooking. And he and his wife ended up coming over to the house so I could show her how to make biscuits. I've been getting work from that company ever since.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 08-03-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Turn Off Ads?