Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own an RV?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Does anyone own an RV?

Picture doesn't work....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Holy crap, never mind! I thought it might be a good option to get started and see how like it and if worth to buy later, esp if won't be using it year round but that's a crazy price, never would have guessed! I sure wish I still had the family one that was supposed to be mine, had some good times in it and would love to have some more. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not until you mentioned it did I consider looking at renting. The first place I looked, for a very small RV (similar to the one I'd be looking to buy) was $3400 for 3 weeks. So, yeah, that's not going to be an option in the slightest.

I'm considering trying to find a part-time job in the winter to save up and put more money into my "buy a travel vehicle" fund to try and get something a bit newer than what I believe my current budget is. Now, what job that is, I don't know. I've thought about trying to maybe drive for Uber or something, but haven't looked into it to see if it's actually worth it or not. Not too sure what my other options would be - I can't work retail, even though I know that they are always hiring around the winter because of Christmas. We will see how things go.

For now, I'm keeping my options open. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for smaller RV's, buses/vans that I could fit out for my needs. Just sort of keeping an eye on prices/options right now to have a better idea of what's out there, what it's going for and hoping something falls into whatever my eventual budget is.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Doug you rent correct? Have you ever thought about giving up your apartment for a year and RV'ing it? I think you may find some cost savings that way, but you would need a home base to come home to.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Doug you rent correct? Have you ever thought about giving up your apartment for a year and RV'ing it? I think you may find some cost savings that way, but you would need a home base to come home to.
    I hadn't really thought about it - mostly because I would need that home base to come home to. While I'm gone, if I'm going to be gone for a while, the bills that I do pay for would be cut into a little bit. I'd still be paying rent, though - I've got to have a place for my stuff. While I could rent a storage unit, I feel less than comfortable about that - especially since I wouldn't be around for long period of time to check on my stuff.

I've got a fairly good deal going for my rent. I don't have an apartment - I live with a family member. They own a condo and I essentially live in the basement. I've got a couple hundred square feet down here - studio style. Don't have a kitchen, so I do need to go upstairs to cook - but everything else is available downstairs for me. And I have a garage. I cover some of the bills (water/sewage/internet/cable and there's something else that I'm just drawing a complete blank on right now) and pay some rent - but I still think I'm coming out ahead of what I'd be doing for an apartment, even with a roommate there. The garage is the important part - I've got a lot of tools that were my dads, that I still use plenty of for various things.

The saving of money issue is more about saving more now to get a better vehicle for traveling.

Picture doesn't work....
    This must be why.

Photobucket continues to offer limited free photo storage — 2 gigabytes worth — but now it charges to store more than that, and only its $399.99 per-year plan allows users to link to Photobucket-stored images.
    http://www.9news.com/money/business/...says/454952304

Back on TOPIC: Sounds like you have a pretty good home base with no real ties to it. Search "Van life" in youtube for videos.
    Last edited by goreds2; 07-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

The more and more I've been thinking about this over the last two weeks, the more and more I feel like I'm leaning more towards an RV. Things can obviously change between today and February. But it just *seems* like the best fit, if I can find the right one. The biggest issue is being able to make the finances work to buy the right one. I'm looking at options up to $10,000 right now. I don't think I'll be able to go beyond that if I want to make it something to buy before the 2018 baseball season begins... but I do think there are some actual options out there at that price that would work for me for what I need, and then later in the year after the season is over, I could put a little extra money into it if needed to spruce some things up.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (07-31-2017)

The more and more I've been thinking about this over the last two weeks, the more and more I feel like I'm leaning more towards an RV. Things can obviously change between today and February. But it just *seems* like the best fit, if I can find the right one. The biggest issue is being able to make the finances work to buy the right one. I'm looking at options up to $10,000 right now. I don't think I'll be able to go beyond that if I want to make it something to buy before the 2018 baseball season begins... but I do think there are some actual options out there at that price that would work for me for what I need, and then later in the year after the season is over, I could put a little extra money into it if needed to spruce some things up.
    A question that should be asked that maybe someone else can answer is what is the worst case scenario with a lemon RV? Compare that to the relative worst case scenarios of your other options. Or furthermore, could you handle just a lousy RV with more upkeep/repair costs than planned for?

I'm just a plan for the worst type of guy so I think about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A question that should be asked that maybe someone else can answer is what is the worst case scenario with a lemon RV? Compare that to the relative worst case scenarios of your other options. Or furthermore, could you handle just a lousy RV with more upkeep/repair costs than planned for?

I'm just a plan for the worst type of guy so I think about that stuff.
    A lemon is going to be a lemon in any scenario I go with, I guess. In any situation, it's going to be thousands and thousands of dollars down the drain.

I couldn't handle replacing an engine/transmission on any of the vehicles. Other types of repairs/upkeep, I do believe that I could afford.

But, planning for the worst case scenario means that I'm never going to do anything. And realistically, the worst case scenario is getting stuck somewhere without the ability to truly fix it. I'd still have a place to "live" while I'd try to sell it to someone who either could fix it, or would be interested in it for some other reason (or to simply scrap it), and rent a van to drive my stuff back home. That would certainly suck. But it's not the end of the world. I'd love to avoid that, of course, but unless I'm spending $50K, which I'm not, I don't think I'm going to be able to 100% cover myself on being covered by some warranty against things going wrong.

11. Likes:

BillDoran (07-31-2017)

To answer your question about storing it while not in use, a friend of mine owns storage units and charges $30/month to park RVs...not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    To answer your question about storing it while not in use, a friend of mine owns storage units and charges $30/month to park RVs...not bad.
    Thank you!

With every reply I kept hoping someone would chime in with this. I'm sure it varies a little bit, but I'm glad to hear that is a range that it could fall within.

I hadn't really called anywhere to check yet since I'm still quite a bit of time away from buying anything, though. I figured if no one chimed in before things got closer I'd have to start calling around and check (which, of course, I'll still have to do).

Thank you!

With every reply I kept hoping someone would chime in with this. I'm sure it varies a little bit, but I'm glad to hear that is a range that it could fall within.

I hadn't really called anywhere to check yet since I'm still quite a bit of time away from buying anything, though. I figured if no one chimed in before things got closer I'd have to start calling around and check (which, of course, I'll still have to do).
    Not sure what it is, but I really like the idea of you hauling ass around the country in an RV, dropping anchor in small and mid-sized cities and taking in shabby baseball for weeks at a time.

I hope this RV plan comes to fruition.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (08-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Not sure what it is, but I really like the idea of you hauling ass around the country in an RV, dropping anchor in small and mid-sized cities and taking in shabby baseball for weeks at a time.

Agree, maybe Doug can write a book about his experiences and include excerpts from this very thread.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (08-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Well, I've got some good news: I really plan to make this happen. If it does, I also plan to make plenty of videos about the experience as a whole. Maybe not daily VLOG's, but probably a few a week, documenting my experiences while on the road.

One thought that I had was maybe hitting up the winter meetings and seeing if any baseball companies would be interested in working with me to make it happen, and while I'm out doing the baseball thing, I could possibly meet up with athletes they sponsor/provide goods for, and doing some stuff for their social media - pictures, short interviews, promotional type stuff. Still kind of looking into that one in terms of whether it would be worth the trip to go to the Tradeshow portion of the meetings to do some meet-and-greet and try to sell the plan to companies.

19. Likes:

BillDoran (08-02-2017),reds44 (08-01-2017),Redsfaithful (08-01-2017)

Well, I've got some good news: I really plan to make this happen. If it does, I also plan to make plenty of videos about the experience as a whole. Maybe not daily VLOG's, but probably a few a week, documenting my experiences while on the road.

One thought that I had was maybe hitting up the winter meetings and seeing if any baseball companies would be interested in working with me to make it happen, and while I'm out doing the baseball thing, I could possibly meet up with athletes they sponsor/provide goods for, and doing some stuff for their social media - pictures, short interviews, promotional type stuff. Still kind of looking into that one in terms of whether it would be worth the trip to go to the Tradeshow portion of the meetings to do some meet-and-greet and try to sell the plan to companies.
    Maybe its me, but the idea of watching a grown man film himself traveling across the country doesn't interest me. I would be more interested in a blog, not redsminorleauges.com blog, but a different blog just about your travels and such. You could attached photos and the occasional video if something funny, stupid, amusing happens.

21. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-02-2017)

Ok, I'll say it: I think the RV idea will turn into a disaster. I think you way underestimate the cost of upkeep and cost the potential expensive repairs that can happen to an RV within your budget. Before I struck out in a vehicle like that and I didn't know the vehicle history intimately, I would put in a few thousand just in wheel bearings, seals, u-joints/cv-axle, etc, timing belt/chain, water pump, etc. Going through the Texas heat and up and down mountains puts an incredible stress on a vehicle like this.

I don't know what kind of geographical area you are looking at, but I would just rent an apartment in Arizona and drive your car around. Find a month-to-month rental, or find someone who may be going on vacation and is looking for a one month tenant. Anything but an RV. Don't do it.

23. Likes:

George Anderson (09-26-2017),Sea Ray (08-02-2017)

Turn Off Ads?