Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own an RV?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Does anyone own an RV?

I'm not even sure of my business plan, either.

But, I do think that to continue growing my business that I need to spend more time at the stadiums. Right now, staying in hotels simply doesn't make that feasible for periods of time that I believe would be necessary to keep things growing the way I'd like. If I can spend 3-4 weeks with a team, and I understand they won't be home every day while I'm "in town", but if I plan well, maybe they will be for 20 of the 30 days, that over the course of enough time, assuming there's no catastrophic issue, this will pay for itself. While my car certainly seems very reliable (it is a 2015), there's nothing really stopping it from also having some catastrophic failure. Sure, it's not nearly as likely because it is new and has 32,000 miles on it - but things do happen like that to cars like mine from time-to-time.

Maintenance costs are something I'm a little unsure of. I *think*, however, that short of big time issues like a transmission or something major with an engine, that I could handle something like that as long as it's not something that pops up on every single trip. Insurance is something that I do need to look into, though. I'm hoping my age and perfect driving record help out there.

Networking exists, but it's done at the fields. My business doesn't generally rely in products or services - I've never once had a meeting with someone that wasn't at a ballpark or at a restaurant as it relates to my business. Maybe that will change one day, but it's tough for me to see right now. However, if "Bob" and I have some ideas we'd like to discuss, there's always an Applebees somewhere.

My trip to Arizona last spring cost me nearly $1000. And that meant I was able to stay for five days. If I can stay for 3-4 weeks for $1500, that's a slam dunk for me business wise, assuming there are no problems along the way.

And just to clear up any confusion - I do this baseball thing full time now. It's been my full time job for years.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (08-04-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rv...222151272.html

1994 Road Trek 190 - $5500 (Hamilton)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Doug I was thinking about this the other day. While you can pretty much find a YouTube video on how to do repairs, they are leaving out one key component. In order to do a lot of repairs, you need specialized tools, most repair shops have air powered tools that make repairs a lot easier. Stuff like regular sockets, deep well sockets, standard and metric sockets, etc as well as shop supplies like thread locker and liquid wrench. I have a pretty stocked tool chest at my house and when doing repairs I often end up needing to either buy a new tool or borrow one. You "can" do things with tools as simple as a few set of pliers, but man is it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Doug I was thinking about this the other day. While you can pretty much find a YouTube video on how to do repairs, they are leaving out one key component. In order to do a lot of repairs, you need specialized tools, most repair shops have air powered tools that make repairs a lot easier. Stuff like regular sockets, deep well sockets, standard and metric sockets, etc as well as shop supplies like thread locker and liquid wrench. I have a pretty stocked tool chest at my house and when doing repairs I often end up needing to either buy a new tool or borrow one. You "can" do things with tools as simple as a few set of pliers, but man is it difficult.
    My father used to be a mechanic (granted, this was about 25 years ago when he was actually a mechanic for a living - but he continued working on cars until a few months before he passed away), but I've got a whole heck of a lot of mechanic type tools. Air tools, impact sockets, specialty tools for mechanic-y type stuff that isn't in your typical home garage. With that said, generally speaking - for under the hood stuff that isn't "simple", I'd take it somewhere. My buddy owns his own garage - so it would probably go over to him.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I've come across that one a few times in my "Craigslist weekly search" as I call it. Right now I don't even have $2000 saves up, so I'm merely window shopping just to be sure I am aware of what things are going for in the 150 mile from my house area.

Definitely a bit older than what I'm looking for, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I've come across that one a few times in my "Craigslist weekly search" as I call it. Right now I don't even have $2000 saves up, so I'm merely window shopping just to be sure I am aware of what things are going for in the 150 mile from my house area.

Definitely a bit older than what I'm looking for, though.
    Yeah, I was posting that as a joke. For sure, get something with fuel injection. I had an old 1976 which I loved camping in but had a carb and was a nightmare so I sold it. Try to take 10 minutes each day to look on craigslist.

Yeah, I was posting that as a joke. For sure, get something with fuel injection. I had an old 1976 which I loved camping in but had a carb and was a nightmare so I sold it. Try to take 10 minutes each day to look on craigslist.
    Well, once I actually get some real money saved up, I'll be spending a lot more time on Craigslist than I do now. Right now, I'm not finding anything for what money I've got, so I just check every few days to see what's listed and the prices just to keep myself fresh on what I may be expecting to pay.

My biggest thing right now is: Do I want to try and spend $5K and fix one up with another 3-4K. Or spend $10K and not have to fix anything up, hopefully.

Well, once I actually get some real money saved up, I'll be spending a lot more time on Craigslist than I do now. Right now, I'm not finding anything for what money I've got, so I just check every few days to see what's listed and the prices just to keep myself fresh on what I may be expecting to pay.

My biggest thing right now is: Do I want to try and spend $5K and fix one up with another 3-4K. Or spend $10K and not have to fix anything up, hopefully.
    The latter.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-22-2017),Rantly (08-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The latter.
    I've thought that about 95% of the time, too. In either scenario, I'm not skimping on needing to fix something like mechanical problems with an engine/transmission - I won't be buying something that doesn't run well. But there are scenarios where doing some work to fix some leaks and redo some interior (or lots of interior, as long as the structure itself doesn't need true work), is that something I'm willing to work with? I actually saw a pretty good deal for $8K in Indiana at a dealership this afternoon, or at least it seemed like a good deal based on their listing. I was not shocked to find that the sale was pending on it despite it being listed less than 24 hours ago. Not that I had the money for it right now, but it seemed like a big time steal - particularly from a dealer.

I've thought that about 95% of the time, too. In either scenario, I'm not skimping on needing to fix something like mechanical problems with an engine/transmission - I won't be buying something that doesn't run well. But there are scenarios where doing some work to fix some leaks and redo some interior (or lots of interior, as long as the structure itself doesn't need true work), is that something I'm willing to work with? I actually saw a pretty good deal for $8K in Indiana at a dealership this afternoon, or at least it seemed like a good deal based on their listing. I was not shocked to find that the sale was pending on it despite it being listed less than 24 hours ago. Not that I had the money for it right now, but it seemed like a big time steal - particularly from a dealer.
    Here's wishing you find a similar deal when you're ready.

Starting looking more often now for RV's. People tend to sell after Labor Day.

Starting looking more often now for RV's. People tend to sell after Labor Day.
    Well, if I had the money right now to buy one, I would. But I simply don't have the kind of money right now that I need to buy something.

So, "Doug saves all of his money for an RV" has been sort of stalled. Sort of. I just spent about a third of what I had saved up on some equipment to start a new business/business venture. I'm hoping that will bring an influx of income in, and hopefully have paid for itself within a month or two, and then it's all profit. But, we will see. Not too much risk - and I think the reward could be pretty good if I don't completely screw things up. And hey, maybe it'll get me closer to my RV that I want, quicker.

18. Likes:

Redsfaithful (09-19-2017),WrongVerb (09-20-2017)

$4500 located in Lexington, KY It's a 1992 so it should be fuel injected.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs...375354038.html

20. Likes:

BillDoran (11-08-2017)

Turn Off Ads?