Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2017

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: College Football 2017

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Meh, I remember hearing that about Alabama before Saban. All it takes is a great coach.
    We also heard the same thing about USC in '00 before Carroll was hired as HC. But even if you squint, the Nebraska job isn't in the same stratosphere as Alabama, Texas or USC, as the only thing that prevents either of the aforementioned programs from annual National relevancy/National Championship contention is the coach itself, as top-flight talent will certainly follow. The "right" coach at Nebraska isn't enough anymore for mainly the reasons that Kronored pointed out. I also agree with bucksfan2 about the talent discrepancy preventing Nebraska from (as of today) competing with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Anyway yeah, I don't think Nebraska is any lost cause. Bill Callahan wasn't very good, Bo Pelini was pretty good but done in by self-inflicted off-field drama, and Riley isn't very good.
    I wouldn't be so quick to shovel dirt on a coach who built Oregon State (Oregon. State.) from the ground up. Ironically, though, Riley's Nebraska offenses with the dual-threat Tommy Armstrong Jr. were pretty effective. Armstrong was far from Riley's prototypical QB for his system, though, to his credit, he tailored his offense to Armstrong's strengths and didn't pull a Callahan (or Hoke/Nussmeier at Michigan) and force-feed a system dependent upon a traditional drop-back QB upon a QB ill-suited for such. Riley, IMHO, is much more likely to land another Armstrong type than, say, a Sam Darnold type for Nebraska.

Conversely for Riley, if given the resources of Texas, Florida or USC (reportedly, Riley actually turned down HC job offers from Alabama and USC (twice), landing a top-flight, NFL prototype QB is exponentially easier, though he has done many times at Oregon State. I can guarantee you that a Riley-coached Florida offense wouldn't be stuck in the mud regardless of QB as it is currently under the leadership of the so-called offense gurus McElwane and Nussmeier.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-16-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to shovel dirt on a coach who built Oregon State (Oregon. State.) from the ground up. Ironically, though, Riley's Nebraska offenses with the dual-threat Tommy Armstrong Jr. were pretty effective. Armstrong was far from Riley's prototypical QB for his system, though, to his credit, he tailored his offense to Armstrong's strengths and didn't pull a Callahan (or Hoke/Nussmeier at Michigan) and force-feed a system dependent upon a traditional drop-back QB upon a QB ill-suited for such. Riley, IMHO, is much more likely to land another Armstrong type than, say, a Sam Darnold type for Nebraska.

Conversely for Riley, if given the resources of Texas, Florida or USC (reportedly, Riley actually turned down HC job offers from Alabama and USC (twice), landing a top-flight, NFL prototype QB is exponentially easier, though he has done many times at Oregon State. I can guarantee you that a Riley-coached Florida offense wouldn't be stuck in the mud regardless of QB as it is currently under the leadership of the so-called offense gurus McElwane and Nussmeier.
    Maybe I'm sleeping on Riley but I think a program like Oregon State is kind of his sweet spot. He seems like a good guy but never struck me as someone you wanted leading a premiere program.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

This Florida/Tennessee game is so ugly it should be illegal. Damn, these programs used to be good.

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This Florida/Tennessee game is so ugly it should be illegal. Damn, these programs used to be good.
    And Jones and McElwain are supposed to be offensive gurus too.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Butch Jones has to get fired soon, doesn't he?

Ok, this game has gotten pretty legendary, actually. Great 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Maybe I'm sleeping on Riley but I think a program like Oregon State is kind of his sweet spot. He seems like a good guy but never struck me as someone you wanted leading a premiere program.
    It could go either way. In any case, it's doubtful that any Husker coach moving forward now that the Huskers are in the B1G will match Pelini --who'd likely still be there if not for off-field miscues -- as that's about as much as a Husker fan can realistically ask for.

Even if the Huskers are fortunate enough to win their B1G division -- which is no easy task with Wisconsin as solid as any B1G program now -- they'll have to knock off OSU/Michigan/Penn State in the B1G Championship game. Yeah, I know that Sparty beat out the B1G Three to face Iowa in the B1G Championship game two years ago, but that's likely an anomaly for the near future.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-16-2017)

Ok, this game has gotten pretty legendary, actually. Great 4th quarter.
    A game of who will shoot themselves in the foot less.
    Go Gators!

Tennessee is still struggling but the thing is they can always count on beating up on a slow, plodding Big Ten team in a Bowl game at the end of the year

College Football Picks: Week 4 Predictions for Every Game

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...for-every-game

WVU is routing Kansas now but it was a little closer for comfort earlier.

Khalil Herbert with nearly 270 yards on the ground for Kansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I honestly wonder if Kansas will just cease having a football team eventually. I am being completely serious. They lose regularly to smaller conference teams. How do they have fans?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I honestly wonder if Kansas will just cease having a football team eventually. I am being completely serious. They lose regularly to smaller conference teams. How do they have fans?
    Basketball fans need somewhere to hang out before the season starts.

Hard to believe 10 years ago they were ranked #2 at one point and won the orange bowl.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 09-23-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Go Gators!

It was pretty sad watching that game toward the end. Hardly anybody left in the stadium.

If I was WVU I would be concerned with defense after that game. Especially run defense. Kansas lost to both Central Michigan and Ohio University in Athens this year already. Not a good look for the Mountaineers regardless of the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I mean it's obviously worse because they have a much lower ceiling and don't have any great history but I'd compare it the discussion about Nebraska last week. It's just been some bad ADs and coaches over the last several years, not really anything insurmountable.

Turn Off Ads?