Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2017

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: College Football 2017

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Basketball fans need somewhere to hang out before the season starts.

Hard to believe 10 years ago they were ranked #2 at one point and won the orange bowl.
    Put this in perspective: The Jayhawks' 2007 season and subsequent Orange Bowl victory (and Final Top 10 ranking) are still more recent than Nebraska's last Top 10 finish -- National Runner-up after 2001 season.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I mean it's obviously worse because they have a much lower ceiling and don't have any great history but I'd compare it the discussion about Nebraska last week. It's just been some bad ADs and coaches over the last several years, not really anything insurmountable.
    Good point.

Northwestern, Kansas State and Oregon State were football all wastelands -- and considered, arguably, the most difficult D1 jobs in that era -- but became respected programs. None of the aforementioned schools have/had the resources of KU.

Let's face it, the Big 12 overall isn't exactly murderers row anymore resource-wise (which is one reason that, IMO, Nebraska erred by leaving for the B1G, decreasing the chances of seriously competing in both Football and hoops - the cash-cow sports), so it isn't out of the realm of possibility for KU football to surface for air by the beginning of the next decade.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-23-2017),Tom Servo (09-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I honestly wonder if Kansas will just cease having a football team eventually. I am being completely serious. They lose regularly to smaller conference teams. How do they have fans?
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...174933966.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2017)

Down goes Oklahoma (at home,no less) to Iowa State.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Iowa State did this without their starting QB and a starting LB.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-08-2017)

Hell of a finish in FSU/Miami.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    tOSU fans will appreciate this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=20947517
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    tOSU fans will appreciate this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=20947517
    I personally don't like this from any team. I think it's simply poor sportsmanship, rubbing your nose in the opponent's face. Your team did a great job, played a solid game and got the upset. Leave it at that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

bounty37h (10-09-2017),Kingspoint (10-08-2017)

Washington St is 5-0 and firmly in the playoff hunt. In fact it looks like they're either headed to the playoffs or the Rose Bowl. Quite a consolation prize. QB Luke Falk looks like an NFL prospect to keep an eye on

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Washington St is 5-0 and firmly in the playoff hunt. In fact it looks like they're either headed to the playoffs or the Rose Bowl. Quite a consolation prize. QB Luke Falk looks like an NFL prospect to keep an eye on
    Way too early to assume any of this...

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Way too early to assume any of this...
    Of course. Nothing can be assumed in college football. It does look like they'll be favored in every game up until the Apple Cup game vs their in state rivals. They are firmly in the playoff hunt. That's "assuming" nothing.

Washington seems to be the class of the Pac-12, though. I can't imagine either of those teams beating a real team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Washington seems to be the class of the Pac-12, though. I can't imagine either of those teams beating a real team in the playoffs.
    It's looking like a Wash-WSU showdown for the conference title. If they lose to a Clemson or Alabama in the playoffs, so what? That's still one helluva year

Yes, it would be a hulluva year. I got Washington at 10-1 to make the playoffs. Nowhere close to a done deal, but I think the odds are better than 10-1 now. But there's a reason I didn't bet them to win it all. Just not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yes, it would be a hulluva year. I got Washington at 10-1 to make the playoffs. Nowhere close to a done deal, but I think the odds are better than 10-1 now. But there's a reason I didn't bet them to win it all. Just not that good.
    I think, and its a big I think, the Pac 12 will get left out.

I see the playoffs looking like this,

Alabama
    Clemson
    B1G Champ (sans a two loss Wisconsin)
    Big 12 Champ

I don't see Alabama losing. If they do lose, I don't see another SEC West team making it to the SEC championship. Georgia has a pretty clear path in the East but I don't see them knocking Alabama off.

Who is going to beat Clemson, twice?

The B1G is where I see things getting interesting. Right now on the national scene I still see OSU, PSU, Mich, and Wisconsin. I think Sparty will cause some damage, but I don't think they are a top tier team. Wisconsin has a pretty clear path to the B1G championship, but will have to most probably match up with OSU or PSU, which will be their toughest game of the season. They get Michigan at home, but win or lose, I don't see anyone in the West beating them on top of Michigan. I don't see a one loss, or undefeated OSU, PSU, Mich, or Wisconsin being skipped over for a spot.

If Oklahoma wins the Big 12 I think they are in. The road win @ OSU, on top of a one loss Big 12 title will be more than most teams have done.

The USC hype has come back down to earth and I think Peterson is right, all their games start so late that most of the nation forgets about the Pac 12. To me it seems like they are all good teams, not great teams in the Pac 12. If one doesn't run the table, I will find it hard for them to leapfrog a one loss team from the other power four conferences.

Turn Off Ads?