Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Committed Statutory Rape (according to court docs)

Re: Pete Rose Committed Statutory Rape (according to court docs)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Can't tell if this is a Larry Schuler post or an "Ocean Beam" post...
    My mom was 16 when my dad (age 21) asked her parents (my grandparents) for her hand in marriage, which they gave their blessing. Mom was pregnant with me by the time she was 17 and I was born in 1978 at old Bethesda North Hospital in Cincinnati.
    In no way do I feel as if I am a product of some sorta psycho rape culture because this was normal civilized behavior back then.

"Rape" was something completely different in the 1970's. Now, if Pete was wearing a mask and hiding in the bushes force raping a bunch of kids then obviously he's a piece of dung.
    But if he was engaging in consensual sex with a 16 year old in the 1970's then I say leave him alone about it..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    My mom was 16 when my dad (age 21) asked her parents (my grandparents) for her hand in marriage, which they gave their blessing. Mom was pregnant with me by the time she was 17 and I was born in 1978 at old Bethesda North Hospital in Cincinnati.
    In no way do I feel as if I am a product of some sorta psycho rape culture because this was normal civilized behavior back then.

"Rape" was something completely different in the 1970's. Now, if Pete was wearing a mask and hiding in the bushes force raping a bunch of kids then obviously he's a piece of dung.
    But if he was engaging in consensual sex with a 16 year old in the 1970's then I say leave him alone about it..
    He was 34, married, with two kids, and sleeping with a 16 year old.

That you're making this political is bizarre. Get help.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

919191 (08-01-2017),alwaysawarrior (08-01-2017),kbrake (07-31-2017),membengal (07-31-2017),OGB (07-31-2017),Old school 1983 (07-31-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-31-2017),westofyou (07-31-2017),Wonderful Monds (07-31-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

She says she was 15.... so, there's that.

No... I was there in the 70's you should just back away from this conversation, you have no idea what you are talking about

7. Likes:

marcshoe (07-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No... I was there in the 70's you should just back away from this conversation, you have no idea what you are talking about
    Fair enough
    I'm not trying to defend rape at all
    My original response was to the guy who stated that 16 was the legal age of consent in Ohio (which it is).....and then the other guy saying that it wasn't "Classy"

Fair enough
    My original response was to the guy who stated that 16 was the legal age of consent in Ohio (which it is).....and then the other guy saying that it wasn't "Classy"
    The kicker isn't actually always the age of the one underage, it's the age difference (IE Pete was 34 and therefore is the "Adult") my mother was 17 when she married my 20 year old father (Both had to get notarized permission from their parents) Add in Pete was celebrity and a married one at that and there's the larger story of the hookup IMO

10. Likes:

Scooter (07-31-2017)

Fair enough
    Tell me again which part was classy?

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow, I did not know....Stay classy, Ohio.
    Well, as others have said here, I'm not defending rape culture or general disgusting behavior, but...
    I believe that consent laws like this are in part to prevent every 17/18 year old couple (and the like) from engaging in illegal behavior that would brand the older partner as a sex offender the rest of their lives.

That's all I'll say on that matter.
    Pete is gross.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Yeah, I think 16 is an okay age of consent. Probably should be paired with some sort of "age difference" rule until 18, though. Like 16 with no more than a 5 or 6 year difference.

But what Pete was apparently doing was very Pete.

15. Likes:

Scooter (07-31-2017)

A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??
    Name:  41808231.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  25.1 KB

18. Likes:

OGB (07-31-2017),reds44 (07-31-2017),Redsfaithful (07-31-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-31-2017),Scooter (07-31-2017),Tom Servo (07-31-2017),Wonderful Monds (07-31-2017)

What will the Reds' marketing department spend its money on now?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    What will the Reds' marketing department spend its money on now?
    Another statue for Pete.

Cute how it's become popular to condemn this sorta behavior nowadays. Back then it was just run of the mill, even mainstream. Don't blow this all out of proportion with all your new "enlightened" lib ideology. Nothing to see here..
    I'm not wanting to go all political. But I'm a conservative. And my condemnation of it had nothing to do with popularity. It has to do with what's right and wrong. Having been a fairly decent looking guy who taught high school in his early 20s, I had quite the number of girls below 18 make passes at me. The means some went to was pretty ridiculous. But you know what...I am adult. That was in position of authority. Abusing that is the epitome of disgusting. I've defended Rose quite hard on this board and taken quite a bit of slack for it. But if these allegations are true, the. He deserves no defense. The law thinks so too. Hence statutory rape being a strict liability offense. (There is a defense....that it didn't happen. Other than that it takes some pretty crazy circumstances to mount a defense.)
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 07-31-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Well this is a happy topic.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Always Red (07-31-2017),BigPoppa (08-03-2017),Caveat Emperor (07-31-2017),cumberlandreds (08-01-2017),marcshoe (07-31-2017),Old school 1983 (07-31-2017),Revering4Blue (07-31-2017),westofyou (07-31-2017)

Turn Off Ads?