Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He's also bounced around at the high school level to where there are a lot of red flags. Three schools in two states in three years.

Duke was supposed to play two games in the Dominican this week, that series was canceled "due to Coach Ks hip surgery". It had more to do with recruiting Bagley.

One thing about it, you can no longer criticize one and done without including Duke. Especially if Bagley is ruled eligible by the NCAA.

N/M.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Any school that is found guilty of sending $100K in order to get a recruit should be punished severely. Serious sanctions on post season and scholarships. That can't be tolerated and the schools that get caught should be called out.
    Considering Louisville was already in trouble for Hookergate this might be SMU bad.

I agree with Boston Red in that this may be enough to get Pitino out. As a UK fan though I'm not celebrating this one. Could happen down 64 next and names aren't done being dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A tweet just went out saying this is huge. More names will coming out and much bigger than just assistant coaches. I'm like WVRed I ain't celebrating nothing on this. It could hit down the road in Lexington and at the very least it is very bad for all of college basketball.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A tweet just went out saying this is huge. More names will coming out and much bigger than just assistant coaches. I'm like WVRed I ain't celebrating nothing on this. It could hit down the road in Lexington and at the very least it is very bad for all of college basketball.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I dunno. I'm no UK fan but it sure doesn't seem like they need to pay players to come there especially since many of them are only there for a year or so and Cal usually gets his pick of the litter. But the boosters there have done it before so nothing would shock me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I dunno. I'm no UK fan but it sure doesn't seem like they need to pay players to come there especially since many of them are only there for a year or so and Cal usually gets his pick of the litter. But the boosters there have done it before so nothing would shock me.
    Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose say hi.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-26-2017)

Yea, I have long wondered how Cal did it. UK recruits itself, but the guy has brought in a ton of big name recruits year in year out. One has to wonder if everything is on the up and up. Not casting stones, just wondering.

Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose say hi.
    Sure, but neither of those guys were in a pay for play scandal. Camby accepted money from agents and Rose had problems with his ACTs or SATs. I'm no UK fan but if Cal was involved with something shady at UMass and Memphis, there hasn't been a whiff of corruption since he's been at UK. He's like Saban, he doesn't need to cheat. He's got kids begging to go there. If Kid A goes to Duke or Kansas or Carolina, on to Kid B who may be just as good.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This won't be limited to just Adidas schools.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-26-2017),dubc47834 (09-28-2017),Stray (09-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea, I have long wondered how Cal did it. UK recruits itself, but the guy has brought in a ton of big name recruits year in year out. One has to wonder if everything is on the up and up. Not casting stones, just wondering.
    Selling NBA players like John Wall, Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Karl Anthony Towns, and the 20+ others (!) thriving in the NBA would seem to sell both UK and Calipari without paying money.

That said, if one school is paying big-time money and not receiving all the biggest recruits, then it's safe to assume all others are as well. tOSU, IU, Duke. All of them.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 09-26-2017 at 12:28 PM.

14. Likes:

Chip R (09-26-2017)

Louisville is already under probation for the prostitutes scandal right? What in the world happens to em now?!?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This won't be limited to just Adidas schools.
    I don't think it is limited to the Adidas schools. However, if that is where their smoking gun led, they could be the only ones getting in trouble.

Regardless of which schools are implicated, I hope the NCAA acts quickly and suspends them from post season consideration. I don't want to see another team win a championship that more than likely will come down (UNC.)

2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Louisville is already under probation for the prostitutes scandal right? What in the world happens to em now?!?
    Death penalty is being floated around.

I don't think Bob Ley meant for this to come out this way, but it is kinda funny all things considered:

https://twitter.com/drewfranklinksr/...35263725584387
    Last edited by WVRed; 09-26-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Since when is this illegal? Sure, it's against NCAA rules but is there a law against it now?
    This is pretty bad IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Death penalty is being floated around.

I don't think Bob Ley meant for this to come out this way, but it is kinda funny all things considered:

https://twitter.com/drewfranklinksr/...35263725584387
    By non-UK fans?

I don't think NCAA will hand down the death penalty to any program again.

20. Likes:

Chip R (09-26-2017)

Turn Off Ads?