Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think it is limited to the Adidas schools. However, if that is where their smoking gun led, they could be the only ones getting in trouble.

Regardless of which schools are implicated, I hope the NCAA acts quickly and suspends them from post season consideration. I don't want to see another team win a championship that more than likely will come down (UNC.)
    Sure, the Adidas schools have the most to be worried about, and Louisville has the most to be worried about among the Adidas schools. The issue, per the allegations, is that Louisville paid $100k in cash to over-bid another company trying to land the same kid. That other company has to either be Nike or Under Armour. And I think we're all in denial if we believe this doesn't go on to some extent at every school actively trying to complete and that it is limited to college basketball.

My personal beef with Louisville is their illegal recruiting practices, in part, led to their invitation to the ACC.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I am seeing things that say IU is indeed dirty. Vonleh and Bryant's names are being brought up. That being said this is gonna be a broad sword by the the Feds. A lot of schools are gonna get caught up in it.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Sure, the Adidas schools have the most to be worried about, and Louisville has the most to be worried about among the Adidas schools. The issue, per the allegations, is that Louisville paid $100k in cash to over-bid another company trying to land the same kid. That other company has to either be Nike or Under Armour. And I think we're all in denial if we believe this doesn't go on to some extent at every school actively trying to complete and that it is limited to college basketball.
    One assumes the company that lost out dropped a dime on Adidas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The speculation on Reddit is that it was Andrew Wiggins when he committed to Kansas at the last second.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/r...ansas-jayhawks

Andrew Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 small forward and the top player in the senior class, has signed a national letter of intent with the Kansas Jayhawks after also considering Florida State, Kentucky and North Carolina.
    Florida Sate, Kentucky, and North Carolina are all Nike Schools. Kansas is an Adidas school.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    See I doubt this. We are talking about recruiting college kids that has been dirty for years. If Adidas was complicit in something illegal and overbid another shoe company (UA or Nike) its suffice to say that UA and Nike were complicit in other kids.

I would think, and its just my perspective, that Adidas would have the most to gain/lose from this. Nike is Nike, they have LeBron and more importantly Jordan. Jordan sells stuff as is, kids from every era know Jordan. LeBron now is the biggest star in basketball, and every kid who has been playing basketball over the past 10 years has been influenced to some extent by him. UA is the upstart, but the cool upstart. They struck gold with Curry, and had been the dominant #2 athletic brand behind Nike in America. Globally Adidas is huge, probably second to Nike, but in America it was a distant #3.

I don't like Pitino one bit and think he should no longer be a coach in CBB (same for good ol' Roy Williams.) But I also acknowledge that recruiting, and even being a CBB player is a dirty game. We have all heard of $100 handshakes, duffel bags full of cash, etc. IMO coaches often put their assistants in charge so they can offer up the "I didn't know" excuse.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

The FBI has just announced a dedicated tip line for information that is relevant to their investigation. The message is "Hey, coaches, AAU handlers, sportswear executives, and anybody else: you're probably better off if you call us, than if we end up calling you."

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/statu...15519043735557

There could be some pretty serious flipping of loyalties before all is said and done. This is not a drill, this is big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Louisville is already under probation for the prostitutes scandal right? What in the world happens to em now?!?
    This tweet says it all:

Mark Ennis‏ @MarkEnnis 2h2 hours ago

Louisville received its punishment from the NCAA 6/11. A bball assistant was in a hotel room in Vegas w/Adidas conspiring to cheat on 7/27.
    This has to be as close to a death penalty case as I have ever seen. I could not believe Pitino survived before there is no way he makes it out of this

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I am seeing things that say IU is indeed dirty. Vonleh and Bryant's names are being brought up. That being said this is gonna be a broad sword by the the Feds. A lot of schools are gonna get caught up in it.
    Wonder if those moves were because Crean was getting desperate, and the boosters a little impatient.

Mo Egger from WLW is reporting that Louisville will get the death penalty. I don't know if this is inside information or just his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Mo Egger from WLW is reporting that Louisville will get the death penalty. I don't know if this is inside information or just his opinion.
    That has to be his opinion. Things look dire for Louisville, but there's still due process to work through before the Feds and the NCAA stick heads under the guillotine.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Wonder if those moves were because Crean was getting desperate, and the boosters a little impatient.
    Could be. Nothing official yet, just hearing chatter. I do know this.......Crean missed out on some big time recruits from this state.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Gotta be opinion. Even the people who gave SMU the death penalty said they had reservations about it afterwards.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    While I worry (because I always worry about IU bb), Vonleh was gone and Bryant had already signed with IU before they became an Adidas school.

It's not only Adidas schools, y'all. Arizona, Okie St., and USC are Nike schools. Auburn is Under Armor.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

By non-UK fans?

I don't think NCAA will hand down the death penalty to any program again.
    Maybe not, but at the very least it will be what Kentucky got in the late 80s under Sutton.

If you want a name of a non-UK fan, how about Pat Forde? He's one of the most pro-Pitino people in the game:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-...181930063.html

The Louisville Courier-Journal is calling on Pitino and Jurich to resign as well.
    Last edited by WVRed; 09-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?