Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2017-2018 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It's not only Adidas schools, y'all. Arizona, Okie St., and USC are Nike schools. Auburn is Under Armor.
    Sure. But it looks like some of the charges refer to players that may be at a Nike or Under Armor school and when they leave for the NBA, they get money to go with Adidas. Of course I'm not quite sure why they just don't bypass the middleman (coach) and just pay the player directly once he leaves school. Maybe they want to get a jump on the other shoe companies and secure the kid early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to Louisville reporter Joe Sonka, announcements from UofL are not done for today, and it was pretty telling that the athletic department was not allowed to comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sure. But it looks like some of the charges refer to players that may be at a Nike or Under Armor school and when they leave for the NBA, they get money to go with Adidas. Of course I'm not quite sure why they just don't bypass the middleman (coach) and just pay the player directly once he leaves school. Maybe they want to get a jump on the other shoe companies and secure the kid early.
    I got in the car right after I typed this and Decourcywas on NPR and explained it to me! I'm still going to go out on a limb and say that Adidas wasn't doing this alone.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-26-2017)

Yea I'm with you guys. The shoe companies have always been shady in college hoops. Always plays a role in who goes where and what not. I'd be surprised if all of the shoe companies aren't doing stuff like this.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-26-2017)

Here's my question regarding Louisville:

If what is rumored to be happening happens either tonight or tomorrow (Pitino, possibly Jurich removed), who coaches Louisville next season? The staff cannot be kept with everything going on.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Really good article by Dan Wetzel about this. Turns out it was a sting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-...184524346.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

BillDoran (09-26-2017)

College basketball will never be the same by the time this is through.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

12. Likes:

Chip R (09-26-2017),RedTeamGo! (09-26-2017)

Pitino is shocked to hear about this. Must have not got enough of a cut.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...ation.amp.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Pitino is shocked to hear about this. Must have not got enough of a cut.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...ation.amp.html
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-26-2017),IslandRed (09-27-2017),Revering4Blue (09-27-2017)

Curious to see if this will have an impact on the Top 25 ratings. Arizona's involved and they could be #1.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Here's my question regarding Louisville:

If what is rumored to be happening happens either tonight or tomorrow (Pitino, possibly Jurich removed), who coaches Louisville next season? The staff cannot be kept with everything going on.

Scotty Davenport from Bellarmine for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Scotty Davenport from Bellarmine for a year?
    Might as well make it longer. I was even going to suggest Denny Crum for a year. Would he be able or willing to do it though? Louisville is going to need someone reputable in both the AD and coach seat to fully cooperate with what is coming and Crum in either position would go a long way.

Matt Jones wrote probably the best piece regarding Pitino last night. While what Pitino did will ultimately affect Louisville, the effects are going to be felt through both teams and ultimately the states economy as a whole:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/...ra-is-upon-us/

Crum just has a stroke. I'm not sure where he is physically/mentally after that.

Considering Bevin was the one who dissolved the board of directors for Louisville in the first place, I'd say Jurich is gone.

The NCAA isn't going to do anything significant about this. Every time something "scandalous" has happened in the last decade we always hear whispers of the death penalty or severe punishment from the NCAA, but nothing ever comes of it.

Louisville sets up recruits with hookers, nothing really done about it. Pitino job safe and secure. UNC academic scandal? Who cares, let them win the national championship. Cam Newton shops his services to the highest bidder? Nah, he's the heisman front runner and the star player for the top ranked team. Nothing happens. I may be missing something here, but the only time I recall the NCAA coming down with much of a penalty was the post-season ban for Ohio State for tattoos and selling a ring.

I doubt this will be any different. There will be a lot of bluster in the media for a short period of time. But the process always takes longer than our willingness to care about something like this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

22. Likes:

BillDoran (09-27-2017)

Turn Off Ads?