Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

Not sure whether you guys have noticed, but we're not very good.

2. Likes:

Banshee (08-23-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I was sitting here tonight wondering the same thing. "Why do I bother with this?"

I haven't come up with an answer yet.
    Absolutely. This _____ (whatever term you want to use) is downright unwatchable. 8 of those 9 innings (of the Reds) were pitched by guys who are not major league pitchers. They certainly would not make the Cubs 25 man roster and I'll go out on a limb and say they'd not even make their 40 man roster. They probably wouldn't even pitch for Iowa. How are we fans supposed to watch this? The Cubs had their own injuries to deal with. They had to do "next man up" tonight and he threw 6 shutout innings

Cubs 9
    Reds 3
    Final
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Tonight's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Luke Farrell, who pitched 3 innings of one-hit shutout relief with 3 K's in his Reds debut.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    Maybe play Winker everyday?
    I'm basically PriceHater69 here but I can't fault him for this one, he has corner outfielders.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-23-2017)

On pace for 68-94.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm basically PriceHater69 here but I can't fault him for this one, he has corner outfielders.
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-23-2017),Wonderful Monds (08-23-2017)

Schebler has done little in the 2nd half (1 HR, and a quickly deflating BA, OBP and OPS), Winker is out-performing him, I guess I just don't consider 207 career ML games a long enough track record to keep Winker's consistent production on the bench, when one is clearly out-performing the other at the plate. If Winker were not hitting well, and had not hit well in the minors, different story I suppose.

I would think everyone outside of Votto and Cozart to be in some sort of competition for a spot, considering it's such a bad team. The more you produce and/or improve, the more you play, right? (when there's an opportunity to do so)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Schebler has done little in the 2nd half (1 HR, and a quickly deflating BA, OBP and OPS), Winker is out-performing him, I guess I just don't consider 207 career ML games a long enough track record to keep Winker's consistent production on the bench, when one is clearly out-performing the other at the plate. If Winker were not hitting well, and had not hit well in the minors, different story I suppose.
    I actually like Winker more than Schebler long term, but jeez. You play great in the first half but a slump and another guy having a strong 3 weeks means you're on the outside looking in?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I actually like Winker more than Schebler long term, but jeez. You play great in the first half but a slump and another guy having a strong 3 weeks means you're on the outside looking in?
    I'd be fine with a Scott Schebler experiment in CF for a few weeks, as you mentioned the other day.

But if he fails that, Duvall and Billy will have spots locked up, which leads us to Schebler v Winker.

Just too many guys right now. It's a tough situation, but I'm rooting for Winker (I have high hopes) to Pipp Schebler the rest of the year. Come the offseason, someone has to go.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 08-23-2017 at 11:08 PM.

It doesn't really matter to me, because this team will continue to stink on ice regardless of who is playing in RF. But I think part of the clamor for Winker is because he is the "Flavor of the Week", and also because he is a Reds prospect, where Schebler is an "outsider" from another organization. I like them both, and I think a good manager could find a way to play four outfielders. Winker is a nice hitter, but he has flaws in his overall game as well. Schebler is the better defensive player, and he's a much better athlete and runner both on the bases and in the field. Schebler also has much more power.

Once the "new car smell" wears off, people will be calling for Winker's head too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    It doesn't really matter to me, because this team will continue to stink on ice regardless of who is playing in RF. But I think part of the clamor for Winker is because he is the "Flavor of the Week", and also because he is a Reds prospect, where Schebler is an "outsider" from another organization. I like them both, and I think a good manager could find a way to play four outfielders. Winker is a nice hitter, but he has flaws in his overall game as well. Schebler is the better defensive player, and he's a much better athlete and runner both on the bases and in the field. Schebler also has much more power.

Once the "new car smell" wears off, people will be calling for Winker's head too.
    That's selling Winker (and some of our admiration for him) short.

I had him ranked higher than Stephenson back in the day when it was unpopular to do so. He's a pure hitter and I've been wanting one of those a long time. He's the last guy prior to Senzel and Greene that I've really been excited for in the minors...and I'm not the only one like that.

So I reject your "new car smell" and "flavor of the week" admonition.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I had him ranked higher than Stephenson back in the day when it was unpopular to do so. He's a pure hitter and I've been wanting one of those a long time. He's the last guy prior to Senzel and Greene that I've really been excited for in the minors...and I'm not the only one like that.

I don't think Klu is totally off the mark though. Redszone can be reactionary, in May it was all about how Duvall and Schebler have the corners locked down and Winker is an expendable disappointment who never developed power.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I like the kid. As I've said before, he reminds me of Hal Morris (which is a definite compliment in my book).

But I don't see the point in getting upset because he isn't getting every inning of every game. He's going to see plenty of action over the next 5½ weeks. However, the Reds have other young OF's who also need to see some action. As I've said, history has shown that a good Reds manager can find playing time for four (and sometimes even five) outfielders.

I don't think Klu is totally off the mark though. Redszone can be reactionary, in May it was all about how Duvall and Schebler have the corners locked down and Winker is an expendable disappointment who never developed power.
    The power was admittedly a concern but never point of contention with me. I know there are a lot of Winker fans around...he's not just any prospect. He was red-hot a few years ago, the car accident and the power zap occured, but the hit tool was pretty much always there. I was talking about trading Billy last year and Duvall/Schebler earlier in the year. I don't want to...but like I said I'm a Winker fan and I'm excited to see what he brings. There are just too many guys...and pragmatically I'm just not a fan of trying to shoehorn 4 guys into 3 spots.

And this isn't just to clear my name...like I said many reasonable Winker fans are out there. You mentioned you are bullish on him moreso compared to Schebler. If Schebler can't man CF (and honestly that is dicey...we all know that) what's your plan? Who goes?

Turn Off Ads?