Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

Re: 8/23/17 - Reds vs Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I like the kid. As I've said before, he reminds me of Hal Morris (which is a definite compliment in my book).

But I don't see the point in getting upset because he isn't getting every inning of every game. He's going to see plenty of action over the next 5½ weeks. However, the Reds have other young OF's who also need to see some action. As I've said, history has shown that a good Reds manager can find playing time for four (and sometimes even five) outfielders.
    The rest of the season...we can rotate OFs. But long-term, I firmly believe someone will have to go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And this isn't just to clear my name...like I said many reasonable Winker fans are out there. You mentioned you are bullish on him moreso compared to Schebler. If Schebler can't man CF (and honestly that is dicey...we all know that) what's your plan? Who goes?
    I'd probably trade Schebler. But I think more PAs is more likely to help his value than it is hurt it, teams probably want to see what his numbers look like after 500 PAs in a season. I don't think Winker desperately needs every day PAs, I'm already comfortable rolling with him every day in 2018.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd probably trade Schebler. But I think more PAs is more likely to help his value than it is hurt it, teams probably want to see what his numbers look like after 500 PAs in a season. I don't think Winker desperately needs every day PAs, I'm already comfortable rolling with him every day in 2018.
    If behind closed doors that is the plan, I'm cool with that.

5. Likes:

reds44 (08-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The rest of the season...we can rotate OFs. But long-term, I firmly believe someone will have to go.
    Why does someone have to go? Why can't you find time for four OF's, which also strengthens the bench? I find it amusing that many fans (not you, Kal) complain about the lack of quality on the bench, but we can't keep a good player because it might mean he actually will have to play occasionally. Too many fans think that the club should have eight full-time starters, and the bench players should hardly ever play (but at the same time they should be really good).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Why does someone have to go? Why can't you find time for four OF's, which also strengthens the bench? I find it amusing that many fans (not you, Kal) complain about the lack of quality on the bench, but we can't keep a good player because it might mean he actually will have to play occasionally. Too many fans think that the club should have eight full-time starters, and the bench players should hardly ever play (but at the same time they should be really good).
    I want good bench guys too. But if it's not the right combo you wind up with a "the backup QB is the most popular guy in town" situation. That's not the only reason as I like my guys (assuming good regulars) to play more than 75% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Schebler has done little in the 2nd half (1 HR, and a quickly deflating BA, OBP and OPS), Winker is out-performing him, I guess I just don't consider 207 career ML games a long enough track record to keep Winker's consistent production on the bench, when one is clearly out-performing the other at the plate. If Winker were not hitting well, and had not hit well in the minors, different story I suppose.

I would think everyone outside of Votto and Cozart to be in some sort of competition for a spot, considering it's such a bad team. The more you produce and/or improve, the more you play, right? (when there's an opportunity to do so)
    Schebler had a three week slump in July when he was battling an injured shoulder. He seems healthy now and is back raking.

I forgot that Joe Morgan was broadcasting Wednesday night home games.
    I did too. I didn't turn on the game until the bottom of the 2nd and then remembered. It's really good to see him. I was afraid we were going to lose him a couple of years ago. But he seems to be doing very well now. I wish he could be around the entire game but I guess three innings of sharing the booth with Thom is about all he can handle at this point in his life. I also agree with your post later on that the wrong person is leaving the booth after three. I wish Chris would just point Thom out the door at that point. I set my DVR for next Wednesday's game and the following Tuesday when Morgan is back in the booth. At least three innings of those games will be somewhat enjoyable.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

Big Klu (08-24-2017)

Chacin fits right in with the team philosophy.

Next.
    My thoughts exactly when the ball flew out of the park. Some things never change.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

Big Klu (08-24-2017)

Turn Off Ads?