Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 9/6/2017 Reds vs Brewers DAY Game

Re: 9/6/2017 Reds vs Brewers DAY Game

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You made it seem like Price was punishing him by sending him back out there for another inning.
    That's not at all what that was about.

The whole "lesson" meme is because Price has this theory that you don't go deeper into games by performing well and keeping your pitch count down. No, in Price's world you have to be taught how to go deeper into games.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-06-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That's not at all what that was about.

The whole "lesson" meme is because Price has this theory that you don't go deeper into games by performing well and keeping your pitch count down. No, in Price's world you have to be taught how to go deeper into games.
    All Price was trying to do was get Stephenson as far into the game as possible. The bullpen's been pitching a lot of innings and they ended up using Iggy for 2 innings. I suppose if Price had taken Bob out after 6 and the bullpen blew the game that would be Price's fault too. I guarantee you Bob wanted to go back out there for another inning. You talk about confidence. Does that help Bob's confidence if the manager continually pulls him after 6 innings no matter how well he's pitching? If his manager doesn't have confidence in him why should Bob have any in himself? Not every great start means low walks. Yeah, I'd like to see him walk fewer guys but Johnny VanderMeer pitched a no hitter and walked several guys including filling the bases in the 9th. But I suppose that wasn't a great start. Ideally I'd like to see him walk fewer batters. But I'm going to take this start and call it a great one. Fanning the side while the bases were loaded was pretty incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

Fil3232 (09-06-2017),Ron Madden (09-07-2017)

There's something to be said for both sides --i error on taking the pitcher out early and and getting 2 things done:

1. Saving his arm
    2. Making sure he feels good about what work he did. If the start blows up --he begins to question what worked and what didn't. young pitchers appear to be overwhelmed as is -if you can keep things relatively simple in his perception about what occurred -he can fall back on that. If you wait until things blow up he may not remember what worked well and then he has to find his pattern of success again. Same reason Earl Weaver wanted his starters to start in the bullpen before they became starters-- to get grounded -to get a stake in the ground.

I have really cringed at times (and yelled at the TV other times) when Price has seemingly pushed young starters "a little too far" this season.

But, interestingly, Castillo has always responded really well in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I have really cringed at times (and yelled at the TV other times) when Price has seemingly pushed young starters "a little too far" this season.

But, interestingly, Castillo has always responded really well in these situations.
    To me results are only one part of it, in general I am in favor of easing kids into action. The odd thing is Price has gotten worse over time with it. As an example, Disco went over 100 pitches in 10 of his 31 starts in 2015. Castillo went over 100 pitches in 8 of his 15 starts this season. I guess this is where Price's theory that he has espoused before "we treat them soft and they still get hurt so you might as well just push them more" comes into play which, suffice to say, I think is a lousy theory. Of course you're never going to fully avoid injury no matter what precautions you take, but that doesn't mean pumping the brakes on what you are asking of them every now and then isn't worth doing.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    To me results are only one part of it, in general I am in favor of easing kids into action. The odd thing is Price has gotten worse over time with it. As an example, Disco went over 100 pitches in 10 of his 31 starts in 2015. Castillo went over 100 pitches in 8 of his 15 starts this season. I guess this is where Price's theory that he has espoused before "we treat them soft and they still get hurt so you might as well just push them more" comes into play which, suffice to say, I think is a lousy theory. Of course you're never going to fully avoid injury no matter what precautions you take, but that doesn't mean pumping the brakes on what you are asking of them every now and then isn't worth doing.
    I agree, just find it interesting. Castillo definitely seems to be on a higher plane than any other starter in the system.

Had to work today, and then I had a late afternoon meeting that lasted until 5:30. So I missed the game, but just finished reading the game thread and Gameday.

Today's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is (obviously) Luis Castillo, who pitched 8 innings allowing 1 run on 4 hits with 10 K's and no BB's to earn the win in his final start before being shut down for the season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-07-2017),WrongVerb (09-07-2017)

On pace for 71-91.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Luke Farrell has been added to the roster. I think we are at about 20 pitchers now. Price is orgasmic.
    Actually 19. (Unofficially 18, now that Castillo is shut down.)

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    On pace for 71-91.
    Easy choice for SOTG today, Joe never passed on a great pitching performance.

17. Likes:

Big Klu (09-06-2017),cumberlandreds (09-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Is my game delayed or something? I still have Castillo on the hill with 2 outs.

Castillo thru 8. Helluva game kid!
    I was listening to the radio broadcast and I swear Marty and Kelch both said Shackleford had entered the game. They even did a rundown of how Castillo had done that that,IIRC. Maybe I was in some kind of time warp or something? Anyway I'm glad he went 8. I watched the condensed game on MLBTV last night and he had some wicked movement on some of his pitches.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I was listening to the radio broadcast and I swear Marty and Kelch both said Shackleford had entered the game. They even did a rundown of how Castillo had done that that,IIRC. Maybe I was in some kind of time warp or something? Anyway I'm glad he went 8. I watched the condensed game on MLBTV last night and he had some wicked movement on some of his pitches.
    OK I went back on MLBTV and listened to the 8th inning to see if I was losing it or not. Marty and Kelch both are losing it. Both of them said Shackleford was in the game and then went to say what a good game Castillo had. You would think after a batter or two they would notice that Castillo was on the mound. It's not like he and Shack look like each other or anything. Work took me away and I couldn't listen too much more to see if they did a mea culpa for that stupid gaffe. My guess is that Marty certainly did not.
    My apologies for giving out bad info but when you are depending on two idiots broadcasting a game that's what you get, bad info.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

OK I went back on MLBTV and listened to the 8th inning to see if I was losing it or not. Marty and Kelch both are losing it. Both of them said Shackleford was in the game and then went to say what a good game Castillo had. You would think after a batter or two they would notice that Castillo was on the mound. It's not like he and Shack look like each other or anything. Work took me away and I couldn't listen too much more to see if they did a mea culpa for that stupid gaffe. My guess is that Marty certainly did not.
    My apologies for giving out bad info but when you are depending on two idiots broadcasting a game that's what you get, bad info.
    In the 8th inning, Franchester is back on the mic, and he's certainly not giving it up.

Turn Off Ads?