Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/10/2017 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

Re: 9/10/2017 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is not the popular consensus, only yours. The worst I've seen scouts/writers say is that he might be AAA tweener, which is apparently what you view his ceiling as.
    I'd argue a AAA 'tweener (which is pretty much the consensus outside of doug) is the very definition of fringe prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was with you in that regard, those aren't guys I'm using a 40 Man spot on. I thought you went overboard lumping a guy like Jackson Stephens in with that motley crew though.

Reds go ahead on a Barnhart double, he's had a big game.
    My point was that Stephens was the least accomplished pitcher they should be interested in. If they need a spot, he should be the first to go. These other journeyman can't even pass that threshold and shouldn't even be in the picture IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd argue a AAA 'tweener (which is pretty much the consensus outside of doug) is the very definition of fringe prospect.
    Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at. Going into this year Fangraphs said a platoon guy. Baseball Prosepctus said he could be a solid regular. That's not "5th outfielder riding the bus to Louisville", I haven't seen anybody that down on him outside of Redszone.

Personally, I envision a solid 4th outfielder.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Reds up 7 - 5 after Price intelligently challenges call on field.

Scott gets bailed out of his knuckleheadness.

Reds up 7 - 5 after Price intelligently challenges call on field.
    They're tanking. That may hurt the draft position. Fire his butt.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at. Going into this year Fangraphs said a platoon guy. Baseball Prosepctus said he could be a solid regular. That's not "5th outfielder riding the bus to Louisville", I haven't seen anybody that down on him outside of Redszone.

Personally, I envision a solid 4th outfielder.
    Is it the .250BA, the below .400 slugging percentage or the fact that his organization relegated him to being a corner OF that give you that impression? None of that screams big league prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Is it the .250BA, the below .400 slugging percentage or the fact that his organization relegated him to being a corner OF that give you that impression? None of that screams big league prospect.
    It's probably the tools and not just the numbers. Try telling the Nationals this year that they should have stopped giving Brian Goodwin playing time because his minor league numbers were disappointing and see what they say.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at.
    He's ranked 23rd among Red prospects by Mayo. His blurb mentions a possible Marlon Byrd career, but he's behind Winker, Hamilton, Duvall, and Schebler at the major league level and a questionable CF according to all. That pegs him as a fifth OF. At best.

BP said, in 2016, "...it’s tough to see him becoming more than a fourth outfielder." They followed that up with a comment about his play during the season, "Ervin’s been a mess since returning to Triple A after a quick cup of coffee. The combination of his own poor performance and Scott Schebler’s breakout has Ervin drifting farther away from significant 2017 time in Cincinnati."

The best John Sickels could say about a professional career: "I think it’s possible. No, he’s not going to hit .300 or be the star the Reds originally envisioned, but if he can hit .240-.250, his speed and power should still give him a career."

If he becomes a Chris Heisey type, I'd be tickled to death. I just don't see the (minor league evidence of) power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Scott gets bailed out of his knuckleheadness.
    How so?

He was safe. It was a good play.

It's probably the tools and not just the numbers. Try telling the Nationals this year that they should have stopped giving Brian Goodwin playing time because his minor league numbers were disappointing and see what they say.
    I get the tools. But they basically have never shown up in games since his draft year. Goodwin went .280/.349/.438/.787 in AAA in 2016 and actually did play the majority of his games in CF.

Ervin does have good plate discipline, which is why he's intriguing, but you have to hit for it to matter when making the jump and he really hasn't hit much IMO.

He's ranked 23rd among Red prospects by Mayo. His blurb mentions a possible Marlon Byrd career, but he's behind Winker, Hamilton, Duvall, and Schebler at the major league level and a questionable CF according to all. That pegs him as a fifth OF. At best.

BP said, in 2016, "...it’s tough to see him becoming more than a fourth outfielder." They followed that up with a comment about his play during the season, "Ervin’s been a mess since returning to Triple A after a quick cup of coffee. The combination of his own poor performance and Scott Schebler’s breakout has Ervin drifting farther away from significant 2017 time in Cincinnati."

The best John Sickels could say about a professional career: "I think it’s possible. No, he’s not going to hit .300 or be the star the Reds originally envisioned, but if he can hit .240-.250, his speed and power should still give him a career."

If he becomes a Chris Heisey type, I'd be tickled to death. I just don't see the (minor league evidence of) power.

- - - Updated - - -

How so?

He was safe. It was a good play.

Did you watch the play? He ran through the stop sign. Catcher was waiting for him but tagged through him instead of at him. It was not a good play. It was a bad play to run through the sign with 1 out and a worse play by the catcher to bail him out.

Reds go ahead on a Barnhart double, he's had a big game.
    Now a three run jack by Tucker

14. Likes:

mth123 (09-10-2017),_Sir_Charles_ (09-10-2017)

Haunted by walks

Tucky!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I get the tools. But they basically have never shown up in games since his draft year. Goodwin went .280/.349/.438/.787 in AAA in 2016 and actually did play the majority of his games in CF.

Ervin does have good plate discipline, which is why he's intriguing, but you have to hit for it to matter when making the jump and he really hasn't hit much IMO.
    Give me his plate discipline and his other tools over Kiev for the bench spot then. I will take that plus the fact I think he could outperform Billy and help the team not wear Hamilton out.

Now a three run jack by Tucker
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

18. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (09-10-2017),Tom Servo (09-10-2017),WrongVerb (09-10-2017),_Sir_Charles_ (09-10-2017)

Turn Off Ads?