Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 9/16/17 - Reds vs. Pirates

Re: 9/16/17 - Reds vs. Pirates

This has the makings of a meltdown inning
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reed now in the game.

God help us.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

THrow strikes,
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This has the makings of a meltdown inning
    sometimes I feel like that describes most of them ---

===

what were we worrying about?

Reed makes it look easy
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 09-16-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

We're still good!

Great start by Romano.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-16-2017)

Today's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Sal Romano, who pitched 8 innings allowing no runs on 5 hits with 6 K's to earn the win.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-16-2017),Ron Madden (09-16-2017)

On pace for 71-91.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Reed now in the game.

God help us.
    It was not Cody Reed but rather Zachary Levi from Chuck with his beard from the cheese puff era of season 3.

Those most have been some nasty offspeed pitches from Romano on those swinging strikeouts. He was burying those balls and the Bucs were hacking away.

Great Game from Big Sal today!

Geno made two pretty plays at 3B.

This reminds of last year or what I remember from it. The Reds play horrible baseball, go 20 under .500 and then we played some pitiful teams and everyone had hopes for 2017. It's fool's gold, I say. The Pirates haven't been able to get out of their own way since August. They can't score runs, the pitching is iffy, and since September 5th, they've scored 24 runs, while giving up 46 and a record of 2-9, averaging 1.2 runs a game while their pitching has given up 4.2. I certainly hope Castillo, Romano, and Mahle are the real deal, but the jury is out. Last season's late streak probably saved Price his job, and this season's, if it continues may save it and warrant an extension. God, I hope not.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    This reminds of last year or what I remember from it. The Reds play horrible baseball, go 20 under .500 and then we played some pitiful teams and everyone had hopes for 2017. It's fool's gold, I say. The Pirates haven't been able to get out of their own way since August. They can't score runs, the pitching is iffy, and since September 5th, they've scored 24 runs, while giving up 46 and a record of 2-9, averaging 1.2 runs a game while their pitching has given up 4.2. I certainly hope Castillo, Romano, and Mahle are the real deal, but the jury is out. Last season's late streak probably saved Price his job, and this season's, if it continues may save it and warrant an extension. God, I hope not.
    I wouldn't call it fools gold. These are young pitchers who we are counting on pitching pretty well. That's different than years past.

On instance I can think of is Lamb in 2015 with a 6+ ERA and his "fools gold" 11k/9. Watching him you knew the odds were stacked against him. The K rate gave us hope but not much else. Castillo, Romano and Mahle have looked like MLB caliber pitchers. It's different.

16. Likes:

Raisor (09-17-2017),Red Raindog (09-17-2017),Ron Madden (09-16-2017),Tom Servo (09-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I wouldn't call it fools gold. These are young pitchers who we are counting on pitching pretty well. That's different than years past.

On instance I can think of is Lamb in 2015 with a 6+ ERA and his "fools gold" 11k/9. Watching him you knew the odds were stacked against him. The K rate gave us hope but not much else. Castillo, Romano and Mahle have looked like MLB caliber pitchers. It's different.
    Totally agree, but one thing that struck me was all the Twitter posts saying the 2018 rotation was set with Castillo, Mahle, and Romano and adding Homer and either Disco or Finnegan in there. My problem is that the first three (with the notable exception of Luis) are still unproven. We don't know yet whether Homer is back and we have to do a lot of thinking about Mahle and Sal. This really bothers me. Seeing Sal go 8 innings against the Bucs is no test of anything. They are tanking, and we may pass them in the standings. So, I just want to send out a warning that the rotation is not set and lots of time before next April is still out there, and lots of questions exist. Yeah, I want it all to work out, but I've wanted that for four years.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?