Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That stretch of episodes I'm pretty sure was the last time I looked forward to a weekly television show with real anticipation. Like wake up Sunday morning and think "oh sweet The Leftovers is tonight." I've enjoyed plenty of stuff since then, but not with that kind of urgency.
    New Leftovers and new Twin Peaks running concurrently was TV watching heaven for me. Wild that it's already a few years in the rear view.

Not sure I could ever re-watch the Leftovers, even though its one of my favorite shows. The first season is so self-serious and bleak without any of the fun they injected in later seasons and, even with that fun, the show ends with such an emotional punch. I'll have to find a time when I'm not so beat down and anxious to try and dive back in some day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Expanse is fantastic and this new season is very good. I hate that they're releasing episodes weekly...the appeal of streaming is that you can binge.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone here show love for “The Sinner” on USA and Netflix, but I just went down an unexpected binge rabbit hole this weekend. A couple actors that I never really considered heavyweights, Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel, totally sucked me in. I have newfound respect for both of them. Season 2 has Carrie Coon and Tracy Letts (married in real life, not on the show) being outstanding as usual.

If you favor detective stories like me, you’ll probably love it. If not, you’ll probably like it anyway. Season 3 already came to USA, which I don’t have, so I haven’t seen it. But it comes to Netflix this month.

Grown up stuff. Not for the kids esp season 1
    Stick to your guns.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

So, over these past few months I finally got around to watching The Leftovers. Loved it - possibly in my Top 5 all-time series. Then I noticed Damon Lindelof produced the Watchmen series, so I watched that too. Loved that as well. Next...I started using my Hulu sub for the first time and noticed Lost was on there. I watched maybe an episode or two when it first aired, but I was a lot younger then and was still watching cartoons and not particularly interested in following TV series. When Lost ended, I was just out of HS, and the quality of TV/streaming in general really started to pick up. I was watching Breaking Bad & Mad Men around that time. So, I made a point to try to catch up before the final episode aired, but I ended up watching only like the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and stopped for some reason. IDK why, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. Last month, I made a point to finally watch the entire series, and yesterday I finished The End. First things first, I spend way too much time on the internet, so of course I've been spoiled the big Lost spoiler everybody loves to complain about. But now that I've actually finished the series, I realize the big spoiler is untrue, and now am trying to understand how there are actually people out there that have seen ALL 121 EPISODES and still think where they were at in The End is where they've been the entire series (trying not to spoil here lol). Anyways, I thought it was a really beautiful, albeit misunderstood series finale. On the whole, I can't think of too many other series that maintained as good of quality as Lost did for 100+ episodes. It's right there with The Leftovers as one of my all-time favorites now. And now that I've seen both, I can't help but notice Kevin Garvey is basically Jack Shephard.

Please, somebody give me something else to watch now. I'm currently leaning towards Dark.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

6. Likes:

MWM (02-17-2021),Redsfaithful (02-07-2021),RiverRat13 (02-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    So, over these past few months I finally got around to watching The Leftovers. Loved it - possibly in my Top 5 all-time series. Then I noticed Damon Lindelof produced the Watchmen series, so I watched that too. Loved that as well. Next...I started using my Hulu sub for the first time and noticed Lost was on there. I watched maybe an episode or two when it first aired, but I was a lot younger then and was still watching cartoons and not particularly interested in following TV series. When Lost ended, I was just out of HS, and the quality of TV/streaming in general really started to pick up. I was watching Breaking Bad & Mad Men around that time. So, I made a point to try to catch up before the final episode aired, but I ended up watching only like the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and stopped for some reason. IDK why, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. Last month, I made a point to finally watch the entire series, and yesterday I finished The End. First things first, I spend way too much time on the internet, so of course I've been spoiled the big Lost spoiler everybody loves to complain about. But now that I've actually finished the series, I realize the big spoiler is untrue, and now am trying to understand how there are actually people out there that have seen ALL 121 EPISODES and still think where they were at in The End is where they've been the entire series (trying not to spoil here lol). Anyways, I thought it was a really beautiful, albeit misunderstood series finale. On the whole, I can't think of too many other series that maintained as good of quality as Lost did for 100+ episodes. It's right there with The Leftovers as one of my all-time favorites now. And now that I've seen both, I can't help but notice Kevin Garvey is basically Jack Shephard.

Please, somebody give me something else to watch now. I'm currently leaning towards Dark.
    That's a great ride to be able to watch those Lindelof shows back to back to back. I'm jealous.

Shows that at least vaguely remind me of Lindelof (please don't think I'm saying they are 1:1 because he's pretty unique):

- True Detective (VERY MUCH season 1)
    - Stranger Things
    - Devs
    - The OA (so much, you could have told me it was him and I'd have believed it)
    - The Booth At The End
    - Russian Doll
    - Haunting of Hill House (it's an anthology series, only season 1)

Something that sort of reminded me of Watchmen:

- The Boys (I've only seen the first season though)

He also wrote "The Hunt" starring Betty Gilpin, and look, full caveat, it's not the best movie I've ever seen but it was fun as hell.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The Expanse is great if you like hard science fiction
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Expanse is great if you like hard science fiction
    I need to really try this, but I've bounced off of the first episode a couple of times.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I need to really try this, but I've bounced off of the first episode a couple of times.
    You have to get to 2nd half of season 1. Season 2 is incredible.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Me too. Had me wondering what everyone was so excited about.

Maybe I'll try it again.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Name:  6024C423-BF1B-4F03-9D70-872ED6FE8CDE.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  107.9 KB

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

That's a great ride to be able to watch those Lindelof shows back to back to back. I'm jealous.

Shows that at least vaguely remind me of Lindelof (please don't think I'm saying they are 1:1 because he's pretty unique):

- Stranger Things
    - Devs
    - The Booth At The End
    - Russian Doll

He also wrote "The Hunt" starring Betty Gilpin, and look, full caveat, it's not the best movie I've ever seen but it was fun as hell.
    Thanks for showing Love for Devs. I'm too thick to understand what the hell they were talking about most of the time, but it was a fun ride. I think we like a lot of the same things, but I liked Season 3 of True Detective every bit as much as Season 1. Not mentioned in your post that I like every bit as much as Stranger Things, Russian Doll, and Devs (or more)

Dramas
    The Wire
    Counterpart
    Justified
    Endeavour
    Luther
    Orphan Black

Comedies
    Fleabag
    Brockmire
    Sex Education (if you can get past the fact that a bunch of actors in their late 20s and early 30s are playing high school students)
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Thanks for showing Love for Devs. I'm too thick to understand what the hell they were talking about most of the time, but it was a fun ride. I think we like a lot of the same things, but I liked Season 3 of True Detective every bit as much as Season 1. Not mentioned in your post that I like every bit as much as Stranger Things, Russian Doll, and Devs (or more)

Dramas
    The Wire
    Counterpart
    Justified
    Endeavour
    Luther
    Orphan Black

Comedies
    Fleabag
    Brockmire
    Sex Education (if you can get past the fact that a bunch of actors in their late 20s and early 30s are playing high school students)
    Orphan Black is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Tatiana Maslany should've won like a thousand Emmys.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-10-2021),M2 (02-24-2021),RFS62 (02-10-2021)

Which is pretty much every show about high school students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

757690 (02-10-2021),cincinnati chili (02-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Which is pretty much every show about high school students.
    On some of these shows I have a hard time figuring out who are the parents and who are the kids, they all look the same age.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-17-2021)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

- Stranger Things
    - Devs
    - The Booth At The End
    - Russian Doll

Dramas
    The Wire
    Counterpart
    Justified
    Endeavour
    Luther
    Orphan Black

Comedies
    Fleabag
    Brockmire
    Thanks for the recs. Of these, I've seen True Detective, The Boys, and The Wire all the way through. The Boys is probably my favorite thing on TV right now, other than Better Call Saul.

So, I decided to start watching The Expanse. I've heard people describe it as Game of Thrones in Space. That was enough for me. Also, it being produced by Alcon Entertainment who gave us Blade Runner 2049. I just finished episode 4, which was really great. I've read that was the episode that hooked in a lot of people. The first two episodes, I thought were just OK. Things started to kick into gear during episode 3. The visuals are amazing, but it was kind of all over the place at the start, and a little hard to follow the story/character names. I actually had to look up Thomas Jane's character's name just now.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?