Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    So, over these past few months I finally got around to watching The Leftovers. Loved it - possibly in my Top 5 all-time series. Then I noticed Damon Lindelof produced the Watchmen series, so I watched that too. Loved that as well. Next...I started using my Hulu sub for the first time and noticed Lost was on there. I watched maybe an episode or two when it first aired, but I was a lot younger then and was still watching cartoons and not particularly interested in following TV series. When Lost ended, I was just out of HS, and the quality of TV/streaming in general really started to pick up. I was watching Breaking Bad & Mad Men around that time. So, I made a point to try to catch up before the final episode aired, but I ended up watching only like the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and stopped for some reason. IDK why, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. Last month, I made a point to finally watch the entire series, and yesterday I finished The End. First things first, I spend way too much time on the internet, so of course I've been spoiled the big Lost spoiler everybody loves to complain about. But now that I've actually finished the series, I realize the big spoiler is untrue, and now am trying to understand how there are actually people out there that have seen ALL 121 EPISODES and still think where they were at in The End is where they've been the entire series (trying not to spoil here lol). Anyways, I thought it was a really beautiful, albeit misunderstood series finale. On the whole, I can't think of too many other series that maintained as good of quality as Lost did for 100+ episodes. It's right there with The Leftovers as one of my all-time favorites now. And now that I've seen both, I can't help but notice Kevin Garvey is basically Jack Shephard.

Please, somebody give me something else to watch now. I'm currently leaning towards Dark.
    Looks like we have similar likes. The Wire, Lost, and The Leftovers are my top 3 all time shows. Like you, I also thought the Lost finale was beautiful and fitting what the show was actually about.

While not in the same category as Lost or The Leftovers, 2 of my next favorite group of shows are Normal People and Easy. If you like the kind of shows where you feel like you're just watching real life and not a TV drama, these are fantastic. Not a ton in the way of plot development, they are strictly character exploration shows.

My wife and I just rewatched Justified. I certainly wouldn't call that one of the all time "great" shows, but it may be the most fun show I've ever watched. That show gets away with things I'd never let pass in other shows. It found a niche in that space where it's not a comedy show, but it's also not one you take too seriously. But it's serious enough. I think it's a very unique show in that regard. The chemistry between Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins is almost magical. It's not something a director can create. It was just natural.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    So, over these past few months I finally got around to watching The Leftovers. Loved it - possibly in my Top 5 all-time series. Then I noticed Damon Lindelof produced the Watchmen series, so I watched that too. Loved that as well. Next...I started using my Hulu sub for the first time and noticed Lost was on there. I watched maybe an episode or two when it first aired, but I was a lot younger then and was still watching cartoons and not particularly interested in following TV series. When Lost ended, I was just out of HS, and the quality of TV/streaming in general really started to pick up. I was watching Breaking Bad & Mad Men around that time. So, I made a point to try to catch up before the final episode aired, but I ended up watching only like the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and stopped for some reason. IDK why, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. Last month, I made a point to finally watch the entire series, and yesterday I finished The End. First things first, I spend way too much time on the internet, so of course I've been spoiled the big Lost spoiler everybody loves to complain about. But now that I've actually finished the series, I realize the big spoiler is untrue, and now am trying to understand how there are actually people out there that have seen ALL 121 EPISODES and still think where they were at in The End is where they've been the entire series (trying not to spoil here lol). Anyways, I thought it was a really beautiful, albeit misunderstood series finale. On the whole, I can't think of too many other series that maintained as good of quality as Lost did for 100+ episodes. It's right there with The Leftovers as one of my all-time favorites now. And now that I've seen both, I can't help but notice Kevin Garvey is basically Jack Shephard.

Please, somebody give me something else to watch now. I'm currently leaning towards Dark.
    You've reached the top of the mountain for weird/sci-fi/dramedy dude shows. I might suggest taking a break and exploring some other fun TV avenues:

Comedy Nerd Excellence
    Nathan for You (Hulu and maybe some other streaming services, all-time comedy show IMO)
    How to with John Wilson (HBO Max, stick with this for at least 2 episodes if you aren't immediately hooked in, it builds into something even better by the last episode)
    I Think You Should Leave (Netflix)

Mindless Dumb Comedy Fun
    Impractical Jokers

Reality TV Guilty Pleasures
    Married at First Sight
    90 Day Fiance

Solid Comedy Thriller
    Search Party (HBO Max)

Cheesy but Addicting International Dramas
    Line of Duty (Amazon Prime/BBC, I don't know how or why but this BBC detective drama is prob the most entertaining binge watch I've had in years)
    The Stranger & Safe (Netflix, two short mystery series based on Harlan Coben novels with cheesy twists and thrills)
    Broadchurch (Netflix, fun mystery/detective thriller, I liked the first two seasons a lot, never finished the 3rd season)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    You've reached the top of the mountain for weird/sci-fi/dramedy dude shows. I might suggest taking a break and exploring some other fun TV avenues:

Comedy Nerd Excellence
    Nathan for You (Hulu and maybe some other streaming services, all-time comedy show IMO)
    How to with John Wilson (HBO Max, stick with this for at least 2 episodes if you aren't immediately hooked in, it builds into something even better by the last episode)
    I Think You Should Leave (Netflix)

Mindless Dumb Comedy Fun
    Impractical Jokers

Reality TV Guilty Pleasures
    Married at First Sight
    90 Day Fiance

Solid Comedy Thriller
    Search Party (HBO Max)

Cheesy but Addicting International Dramas
    Line of Duty (Amazon Prime/BBC, I don't know how or why but this BBC detective drama is prob the most entertaining binge watch I've had in years)
    The Stranger & Safe (Netflix, two short mystery series based on Harlan Coben novels with cheesy twists and thrills)
    Broadchurch (Netflix, fun mystery/detective thriller, I liked the first two seasons a lot, never finished the 3rd season)
    Didn't find anything cheesy about Broadchurch. Plenty of guilty pleasures out there, but I think this one left nothing to feel guilty about. I did end up liking season three. Like season 1, the subject matter of the first episode includes something that a lot of people understandably won't want to tolerate. When people get past those hurdles, I think most will find it among the top tier of police procedurals with atypical but compelling detectives in Olivia Coleman and David Tenant.
    Stick to your guns.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Didn't find anything cheesy about Broadchurch. Plenty of guilty pleasures out there, but I think this one left nothing to feel guilty about. I did end up liking season three. Like season 1, the subject matter of the first episode includes something that a lot of people understandably won't want to tolerate. When people get past those hurdles, I think most will find it among the top tier of police procedurals with atypical but compelling detectives in Olivia Coleman and David Tenant.
    Those shows aren't campy or bad but I do find the self-seriousness and dramatic plot twists & red herrings to be a bit cheesy, not in a bad way either.

Yesterday I binged Toast of London which is a comedy created, written by and starring Matt Berry from What We Do in the Shadows. It's on Netflix and it's pretty funny. His character, Steven Toast, is an actor on the fringes of the profession. He is always finding himself in absurd situations and surrounded by silly characters. His agent Jane is a riot because she is always screwing up his bookings and putting him in humiliating situations mainly because she doesn't read attachments. One episode he thought he was going to play Charles Dickens. Instead he ended up being a tour guide on a Dickens tour bus. His arch-nemesis, Ray "bloody" Purchase, is also lots of fun, and since he's an actor Toast ends up seeing him all the time. Toast is also having an affair with Purchase's wife which Purchase knows about and is understandably angry with him about. Toast has a semi-regular gig doing voice-overs which more often than not have him just saying one word but they usually have him saying that one word over and over again till they feel he says it right. There's also a musical number in almost every episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

marcshoe (02-24-2021)

Letterkenny, boys.

10. Likes:

RichRed (02-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yesterday I binged Toast of London which is a comedy created, written by and starring Matt Berry from What We Do in the Shadows. It's on Netflix and it's pretty funny. His character, Steven Toast, is an actor on the fringes of the profession. He is always finding himself in absurd situations and surrounded by silly characters. His agent Jane is a riot because she is always screwing up his bookings and putting him in humiliating situations mainly because she doesn't read attachments. One episode he thought he was going to play Charles Dickens. Instead he ended up being a tour guide on a Dickens tour bus. His arch-nemesis, Ray "bloody" Purchase, is also lots of fun, and since he's an actor Toast ends up seeing him all the time. Toast is also having an affair with Purchase's wife which Purchase knows about and is understandably angry with him about. Toast has a semi-regular gig doing voice-overs which more often than not have him just saying one word but they usually have him saying that one word over and over again till they feel he says it right. There's also a musical number in almost every episode.
    I just got into The IT Crowd, which is also kind of fantastic. I suspect everything with Berry is a blast.

On a completely different note, we watched Orange is the New Black recently and loved it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2021),marcshoe (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I just got into The IT Crowd, which is also kind of fantastic. I suspect everything with Berry is a blast.

On a completely different note, we watched Orange is the New Black recently and loved it.
    I've watched The IT Crowd twice over the past few months.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

marcshoe (02-25-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've watched The IT Crowd twice over the past few months.
    Did you try turning it off and then back on again?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

757690 (02-26-2021),Chip R (02-25-2021),M2 (02-27-2021),marcshoe (02-25-2021),RichRed (02-25-2021),RiverRat13 (02-25-2021)

I’ve been rewatching Game of Thrones. Really great show. With that said, I believe I’ve pinpointed the exact moment it jumps the shark. When Davos is running around Castle Black trying to persuade Melisandre to bring Jon back to life. This simply does not makes sense in the context of the show. Davos hates Melisandre and blood magic. He also doesn’t really know Jon, why is he being so protective of him? It only happens to move the plot along, but why didn’t Melisandre just do it? Doesn’t add up.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've watched IT Crowd 4-5 times all the way through. It's one of the funniest shows of all time, IMO. And Matt Berry's first scene has to be among the greatest introductions to a character in TV history.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2021),M2 (02-27-2021),marcshoe (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’ve been rewatching Game of Thrones. Really great show. With that said, I believe I’ve pinpointed the exact moment it jumps the shark. When Davos is running around Castle Black trying to persuade Melisandre to bring Jon back to life. This simply does not makes sense in the context of the show. Davos hates Melisandre and blood magic. He also doesn’t really know Jon, why is he being so protective of him? It only happens to move the plot along, but why didn’t Melisandre just do it? Doesn’t add up.
    So basically the first episode beyond the source material. Makes sense.

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    So basically the first episode beyond the source material. Makes sense.
    Precisely.

On season 7 right now. It’s like a completely different show after they ran out of source material. I still enjoy it, but it’s like they suddenly stopped understanding the characters and the fact anyone can die at any time.

They call me "chef"

If you loved the books and the TV show was your jam for years, the last few seasons must have been painful and depressing to watch.

If you caught up late like I did and enjoyed the show without too much commitment, the last few seasons were more "Huh, they decided to do that, eh? Alright, I guess it's within their right, if they want to be mediocre/dumb/less good now."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    If you loved the books and the TV show was your jam for years, the last few seasons must have been painful and depressing to watch.

If you caught up late like I did and enjoyed the show without too much commitment, the last few seasons were more "Huh, they decided to do that, eh? Alright, I guess it's within their right, if they want to be mediocre/dumb/less good now."
    It is so strange. It’s like they were just putting characters names in hats and pulling them out to figure out what characters were going to be together in what episodes. Why were The hound, Jon snow, gendry, and Thoros together beyond the wall? Made no sense.

Turn Off Ads?