Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Great Album/Weak Song

Great Album/Weak Song

This has been a topic on another forum that I visit (sorry for cheating on you, Redszone)

Name an album that you think is legitimately great, and then name a song on that album that you consider poor or weak.

I'll start. I'm actually not a huge U2 fan, and yet I love The Joshua Tree. Easily one of the best rock albums of the 80s. Huge hits, massively successful.

And yet "Trip Through Your Wires" is a bad song.
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 03-11-2024 at 04:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great Album/Weak Song

For me "Spare Parts" is an awful fit on "Tunnel of Love." the album is so personal and intimate but Spare Fits doesn't fit with the sound and the story in the song is told from a distance. I have sometimes wondered if the blast of the music is meant to prevent the listener from being lulled by the otherwise quiet songs but I still skip it.

With a more recent release, on Olivia Rodrigo's Guts, "Lacy" is the clear weak point for me.
    Last edited by klw; 03-21-2024 at 08:38 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    For me "Spare Parts" is an awful fit on "Tunnel of Love." the album is so personal and intimate but Spare Fits doesn't fit with the sound and the story in the song is told from a distance. I have sometimes wondered if the blast of the music is meant to prevent the listener from being lulled by the otherwise quiet songs but I still skip it.

With a more recent release, on Olivia Rodrigo's Guts, "Lacy" is the clear weak point for me.
    Id love a thread on Tunnel of Love. Underrated. Amazing. And yeah- that song doesn't fit, seemed like a leftover....or spare part, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    This has been a topic on another forum that I visit (sorry for cheating on you, Redszone)

Name an album that you think is legitimately great, and then name a song on that album that you consider poor or weak.

I'll start. I'm actually not a huge U2 fan, and yet I love The Joshua Tree. Easily one of the best rock albums of the 80s. Huge hits, massively successful.

And yet "Trip Through Your Wires" is a bad song.
    Look, to each their own with musical tastes but man that’s harsh on TTYW. It’s no favorite song of mine but at worst it’s just filler on a terrific album.

6. Likes:

westofyou (Yesterday)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

While I love/loved the Yes 90125 album, imho, Hearts, the final track on the album, is ghastly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Without a doubt Revolution #9 on the White Album. John's experimentation with Yoko Dada Rock is unlistenable to me

9. Likes:

NebraskaRed (Yesterday)

Les Boys on Dire Straits "Making Movies" meh.... should have ended the album on "Solid Rock"

Jamaica Jerk-off from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Look, to each their own with musical tastes but man that’s harsh on TTYW. It’s no favorite song of mine but at worst it’s just filler on a terrific album.
    I love The Joshua Tree so much, and yet I can't skip that song quick enough when listening to it.

12. Likes:

kaldaniels (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Without a doubt Revolution #9 on the White Album. John's experimentation with Yoko Dada Rock is unlistenable to me
    Along those lines - The Yoko orgasm song on Double Fantasy is cringe. Can’t play that record when non-freak people are around.

14. Likes:

westofyou (Yesterday)

25 years later, Pearl Jam puts out Vitalogy. An amazing album.

Except for the 8 minute surreal noise collage that ends it. They were clearly trying to do some sort of Revolution #9 of their own.

16. Likes:

kaldaniels (Yesterday),westofyou (Yesterday)

Except for the 8 minute surreal noise collage that ends it. They were clearly trying to do some sort of Revolution #9 of their own.
    Heyfoxymophandlenmama that’s me!

18. Likes:

NebraskaRed (Yesterday)

Yep, thought of that one immediately

Yep, thought of that one immediately
    Source material.

https://community.pearljam.com/discu...e-source-found

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (Yesterday),westofyou (Yesterday)

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs: "Thorn Tree in the Garden"

Which is weird because "Mean Old World", "Mean Old Frisco", and "Evil" are great songs which were not included on the album.

Turn Off Ads?