Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    This was the first episode this season that made me actively speculate. My first thought is too obvious, although I kept half-expecting it. I don't think that particular return is going to happen, though. At least not yet.

(vagueness avoids spoilers)
    They haven't fired the Chekhov's gun that AH was making in his little cabin basement yet...

2. Turn Off Ads?

The expanse was cancelled by syfy, probably for being too good.

Immediately picked up by Amazon Prime.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Not sure why, but I never got around to watching Dexter. Been in a hole lately so thought I'd give it a shot and am about 5 episodes in. It's an intriguing show and I'm enjoying it, but good lord Dexter's sister is one of the worst actresses in a leading role I've ever seen. How in the world did she get cast? She's Keanu Reeves bad, and I don't go that far very often.

Michael Hall is great, which has made it worth watching so far.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Not sure why, but I never got around to watching Dexter. Been in a hole lately so thought I'd give it a shot and am about 5 episodes in. It's an intriguing show and I'm enjoying it, but good lord Dexter's sister is one of the worst actresses in a leading role I've ever seen. How in the world did she get cast? She's Keanu Reeves bad, and I don't go that far very often.

Michael Hall is great, which has made it worth watching so far.
    Michael Hall and that actress ended up getting married and divorced.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

And she's now married to Seth Avett.

I'm finding Westworld to be pretty bad this season.

I think it'll look slightly better when the season is over and all the plotlines have converged or whatever, but they are clearly making it to be binged. It doesn't work as a week to week show.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

I think it'll look slightly better when the season is over and all the plotlines have converged or whatever, but they are clearly making it to be binged. It doesn't work as a week to week show.
    I liked the most recent one and the one where they played with Mr. Delos in the glass cage. Everything outside of that has been the boring middle pieces of a story without the exciting beginning or payoff. I wanted to like the Samurai stuff but it feels like a completely different show. I think it's smart that they pay a little more reverence to a different culture and give the characters a little more seriousness but, in a show about robots living in a pleasure/pain fest simulacra, it's come at the cost of Samurai World feeling like a very un-fun, weirdly dramatic park whereas Westworld was an insane, cheesy hyperbolic video game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I liked the most recent one and the one where they played with Mr. Delos in the glass cage. Everything outside of that has been the boring middle pieces of a story without the exciting beginning or payoff. I wanted to like the Samurai stuff but it feels like a completely different show. I think it's smart that they pay a little more reverence to a different culture and give the characters a little more seriousness but, in a show about robots living in a pleasure/pain fest simulacra, it's come at the cost of Samurai World feeling like a very un-fun, weirdly dramatic park whereas Westworld was an insane, cheesy hyperbolic video game experience.
    It's tough when you spend hours in a place that literally has no impact on the story. They could have cut Samurai World entirely and lost very little, which isn't great. There was also zero emotional impact for these robots we'd never met before.

Like the sword duel - cool, I guess? Not exactly high stakes when A) it's robots anyway and B) not even robots we've spent any time with.

They call me "chef"

It's tough when you spend hours in a place that literally has no impact on the story. They could have cut Samurai World entirely and lost very little, which isn't great. There was also zero emotional impact for these robots we'd never met before.

Like the sword duel - cool, I guess? Not exactly high stakes when A) it's robots anyway and B) not even robots we've spent any time with.
    Same complaint overall as well for me. I get the ambiguity of "what is real/life?" and that we're watching them transition into beings with agency but, yeah, I need more acknowledgement from the characters/creators on what the "awakening" means and who the various 'woken' groups are and their varying levels of agency, etc. There seem to be a ton of different and confusing levels of agency mixed with different and confusing levels of requests for us to emotionally connect with characters. One second, hosts are on a dumb loop where everything they say is pre-written and dumb. The next second, we are supposed to cry with them and hear their wise monologue about being truly free or something, which is also supposedly pre-written and dumb? I know there are times when they say "he/she seems to be improvising" but it altogether feels very sloppy. William temporarily forgetting that Delores is a robot because he's longing for something missing in his life is interesting. Seeing woken hosts forget that other un-woken hosts are just on a dumb loop as they battle 'bad' un-woken hosts and getting invested in their loop feels toothless and like a waste of time in a story that could be more about robots having a bloody awakening with a sprinkle of philosophy mixed in.

Do they really have agency, or do they only have the illusion of agency, courtesy of Ford?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Do they really have agency, or do they only have the illusion of agency, courtesy of Ford?
    I think they're trying to say that if you care about your loop and have feelings, does it matter if it's not real and you don't have control. Or something.

I think it's a story that was at an end, people can be terrible, robots rebelled, story over. Does anyone really care that they are out to kill all humans and how they do it?

Should have been a mini series.
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

Chip R (06-12-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Michael Hall and that actress ended up getting married and divorced.
    Michael C. Hall on that marriage: "Never marry your sister. It doesn't end well"

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I think it's a story that was at an end, people can be terrible, robots rebelled, story over. Does anyone really care that they are out to kill all humans and how they do it?

Should have been a mini series.
    I really geeked out on a show that seemed to be based on the bicameral mind theory, which is one of my favorite things ever (even though it's probably not true):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

So I was hopeful the second season would continue in that vein, but I really have no idea what it's trying to say about anything at this point.

They call me "chef"

I really geeked out on a show that seemed to be based on the bicameral mind theory, which is one of my favorite things ever (even though it's probably not true):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

So I was hopeful the second season would continue in that vein, but I really have no idea what it's trying to say about anything at this point.
    This season's "bicameral mind" is the whole "fidelity" thing it seems. Which I hope they contextualize or expand on because seeing hosts struggle to function with a form of human consciousness (rather than the standard written backstory and fake memories) is boring and feels like a lateral/backwards heightening considering we already experienced the reveal that Bernard is essentially an Arnold clone of sorts. Unless they confirm that they're sneaking out hosts into the real world to replace politicians and influencers or that the consciousness is genuine and not simply a replica, I don't really care if a robot was implanted with the memories of a human.

Turn Off Ads?