Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    This season's "bicameral mind" is the whole "fidelity" thing it seems. Which I hope they contextualize or expand on because seeing hosts struggle to function with a form of human consciousness (rather than the standard written backstory and fake memories) is boring and feels like a lateral/backwards heightening considering we already experienced the reveal that Bernard is essentially an Arnold clone of sorts. Unless they confirm that they're sneaking out hosts into the real world to replace politicians and influencers or that the consciousness is genuine and not simply a replica, I don't really care if a robot was implanted with the memories of a human.
    That does feel like where it's leading, but where is all of this taking place anyway? The geography is bizarre, so it feels like it might have to be VR or another planet?

I am wondering if something really bizarre is going on with timelines and everybody is a host now - like the entire thing is a computer program running on auto-pilot on another planet way in the future after a robot uprising. But that's pretty far fetched - I just can't figure out the geography otherwise.

One difference this season is that I'm reading nothing about it online, because Reddit figured everything out last season and I didn't enjoy that. But now I'm wondering if not reading any theories at all isn't the best either.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Last episode of Westworld has won me back. That is the kind of show I thought season 2 was going to deliver and I'll forgive the previous episodes if they end it strong and fun dumb like this.

Last episode of Westworld has won me back. That is the kind of show I thought season 2 was going to deliver and I'll forgive the previous episodes if they end it strong and fun dumb like this.
    I agree, that was better.

I still think the entire thing will play much better for people who binge it later.

Westworld is good again. That might have been the best episode of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I think it's a story that was at an end, people can be terrible, robots rebelled, story over. Does anyone really care that they are out to kill all humans and how they do it?

Should have been a mini series.
    Agreed. I had HBO for a month and my girlfriend watched it with me and I really couldn't get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I couldnt get through episode one of season 2, I'll have to try again.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The first 3-4 episodes are not good on their own. The one 2 weeks ago was more fun. And I hear this week's was good too. Haven't seen it yet though.

For season 1, I watched all the episodes and my wife couldn't get into it and hated the show and stopped watching. But around episode 7 or 8, she would look up from her book/whatever she was doing and started getting more interested and she had me re-watch the season with her so she could catch up. In the end, she liked the season enough. Right now, she is in the same pattern and is hating and has stopped watching again, so I agree with Redsfaithful that the show just might be a binge watching show whose early episodes improve with the context established by later episodes.

Just watched Southcliffe, a 4 part British mini-series. It was excellent. Wish there was more stuff out there like it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I gave up after the first season. Didn't care about a single character.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I gave up after the first season. Didn't care about a single character.
    This really is the problem with the show.

I think I'm out after this season (just one more episode, so I might as well finish.)

I'm a bit worried about the reveal of the true purpose of the park, which could shift the question from whether AI can become truly sentient to whether memories are truly what makes up a person. And not only because this is the focus of something I've been working on for a couple of years.

I'm more interested in the hosts than the humans, and I'm afraid this will shift the focus. I've remained interested this season, although I think the hosts have wandered a bit too far from who they were originally. At the end of last season, I expected Maeve to go out into the world (apparently I'm not the only one), and the whole thing with her search for her daughter has been a bit weak. I get what they're trying to do, but it's slowed the main story down.

They call me "chef"

The puzzle box element to the show has required its characters to stay sterile and easy to maneuver and re-purpose. The second to last episode was a nice gesture, following a single character and showing how their 'awakening' affects their concept of what their world is in a way to which we can relate, but it comes a bit late for me. They should have left in some of the mystery and, from the get go, blurred the lines of human/host so that when we see a character react or feel, we aren't viewing it in the crystal clear context of already knowing they are, no matter what adjustments or awakenings occur, still working from a limited script of available reactions. I'd be willing to give up knowing the exact technical makeup of the hosts, if it meant connecting with them more.

Westworld S2 was a rollercoaster of terrible and awesome, and even tho it hasn't all registered yet, that finale feels awful. Bad writing, cringy, and just kinda felt like they're making it up as they go? I dunno, maybe I missed something here or there but man, that season was a ride I have no interest in taking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Westworld S2 was a rollercoaster of terrible and awesome, and even tho it hasn't all registered yet, that finale feels awful. Bad writing, cringy, and just kinda felt like they're making it up as they go? I dunno, maybe I missed something here or there but man, that season was a ride I have no interest in taking again.
    I got that feeling, too. There were too many philosophical asides and not much of a focus.

Last year I was on the fence about both Westworld and I'm Dying Up Here. The latter one kind of won me over at the end of that season, seemed like it had something to build on. I'm happy I went back to it this season. It's been legit good.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?