Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I got that feeling, too. There were too many philosophical asides and not much of a focus.
    I've noticed a trend, maybe since Lost even, that some shows are so concerned with wowing you with the climax that they kind of forget to make a decent television show, and I think that's happened with Westworld.

Someday maybe I'll revisit it when it's completely over, and I imagine it'll be a semi-decent enough way to spend a weekend, but I'm out for now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

That finale was terrible. I'm actually friends with an actor/actress on the show and, prior to the finale, they told me they themselves thought the first 7-8 episodes were bad and they were bummed at where the show has gone. They said the last few were back on track (I agree) so I was hoping it'd end strong. This was Matrix sequels level of stupidity masquerading as "deep" philosophy. The finale actually multiplied how terrible everything has been and I'm out if season 3 doesn't improve immediately.

4. Likes:

Redsfaithful (06-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    That finale was terrible. I'm actually friends with an actor/actress on the show and, prior to the finale, they told me they themselves thought the first 7-8 episodes were bad and they were bummed at where the show has gone. They said the last few were back on track (I agree) so I was hoping it'd end strong. This was Matrix sequels level of stupidity masquerading as "deep" philosophy. The finale actually multiplied how terrible everything has been and I'm out if season 3 doesn't improve immediately.
    I think I said this earlier in the thread but I got way too excited over the Bicameral Mind stuff in season 1 and so I gave it way too long a leash in season 2. It's a bummer, feel like they could tell nearly the same story and just change structure and it would be more fun. It's a great cast and concept, so I hate seeing it run into the ground like this.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think I said this earlier in the thread but I got way too excited over the Bicameral Mind stuff in season 1 and so I gave it way too long a leash in season 2. It's a bummer, feel like they could tell nearly the same story and just change structure and it would be more fun. It's a great cast and concept, so I hate seeing it run into the ground like this.
    The first episode of season 3 of Rick and Morty handled the 'consciousness hopping into different bodies' switcheroo in a more thoughtful and entertaining way and it's a silly cartoon. I just don't know who that finale was for? It felt put together with the same level of thought and decision-making as I put into making a sundae at Yogurtland. "I can walk away now with a decent two-flavor yogurt sundae with two toppings OR I CAN TURN OFF MY RESTRAINT AND DUMP A SWIRL OF EVERY FLAVOR AND A SCOOP OF EVERY TOPPING INTO THIS ABOMINATION THAT WILL TASTE DISGUSTING."

7. Likes:

Redsfaithful (07-05-2018)

I'm VERY,VERY late to the SOA party but just started season 3....no clue what took me so damn long, guess life,work and so much...lol

Hannah Gadsby's Nanette, streaming on Netflix - there aren't really words. It starts sort of slow, but by the end - I haven't been this blown away by anything maybe ever.

10. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (07-11-2018)

They call me "chef"

Hannah Gadsby's Nanette, streaming on Netflix - there aren't really words. It starts sort of slow, but by the end - I haven't been this blown away by anything maybe ever.
    Yeah. You have to get through the mid-point or else you'll confuse the hype around it as praise for a pretty decent standup special when it is much more–there is a turn that happens around halfway that is a surprise. You hear comedians touch on whether comedy is truly serving them in interviews or outside of their "act" but no one has put their money where their mouth is like Gadsby does here. It's a really fascinating deconstruction and indictment of comedy within an actual comedy special. I think that impact you feel at the end is because she doesn't let the air out of the balloon by serving the need to end on a joke and 'release the tension' (as she says). You leave it with the same weight that you feel during the build up.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 07-11-2018 at 04:54 AM.

12. Likes:

Redsfaithful (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Yeah. You have to get through the mid-point or else you'll confuse the hype around it as praise for a pretty decent standup special when it is much more–there is a turn that happens around halfway that is a surprise. You hear comedians touch on whether comedy is truly serving them in interviews or outside of their "act" but no one has put their money where their mouth is like Gadsby does here. It's a really fascinating deconstruction and indictment of comedy within an actual comedy special. I think that impact you feel at the end is because she doesn't let the air out of the balloon by serving the need to end on a joke and 'release the tension' (as she says). You leave it with the same weight that you feel during the build up.
    I'm still processing the next day, but this is great. I'm finding I truly can't even talk about it yet. One thing I can say as a deep fan of stand up is that it's a master class in so many ways. So many.

Well, it's a commercial, but it's on TV. So......

The new Geico soccer slide commercial.

Genius
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

15. Likes:

Chip R (07-15-2018),M2 (07-16-2018),TRF (07-17-2018)

I'm still processing the next day, but this is great. I'm finding I truly can't even talk about it yet. One thing I can say as a deep fan of stand up is that it's a master class in so many ways. So many.
    Yeah, that one will stick with you for a while.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Cloak and Dagger is really good. A very nice slowly developed origin story. As good as Runaways and The Gifted.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

There isn't a lot of shows I watch on regular TV but I've been DVRing Yellowstone and finally got around to watching the first episode last night. I like it so far! It features Kevin Costner so can't be all bad right?

If you haven't already, you should give 3 Mics a watch.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Sharp Objects, terrific.

Nanette thing, eh....I don't do well with Ellen style rambling comedy...where they tell the joke and then just keep going...

They call me "chef"

Trying to imagine Nanette in Hedberg form..."We used to be misogynistic and racist in the way we ask minority comedians to tell jokes and re-frame their experiences, effectively making them dismiss the validity of their own experiences, for our entertainment. We still are misogynistic and racist in the way we ask minority comedians to tell jokes and re-frame their experiences, effectively making them dismiss the validity of their own experiences, for our entertainment but we used to be too."

Sharp Objects was a bit too drab in episode 1 so I stopped there. I probably won't go back unless the whole world rises up as one to hail it as the best HBO show of all time.

Hypocritically, the first episode of Hulu's Castle Rock was a bit drab but I kept watching and by episode 3 I was hooked. Not as artsy as Sharp Objects which I think sort of helps in a weird way. I sort of knew that the payoff in Castle Rock would be more fun and apparent and Sharp Objects felt like more of a risk of being a bunch of cryptic cut shots and intense acting moments with no fun or other stuff (I know that's likely not the case since I've heard good things but it's what kept me from getting too excited about watching the whole thing).

Very late on this but Barry on HBO turned into a Breaking Bad Lite in a good way about halfway through which was very surprising and enjoyable. I highly recommend returning to it if anyone else dropped out after a few episodes.

Turn Off Ads?