Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

I still read every Stephen King release, partially out of habit, partially because he actually still writes a good one now and then (11/23/63, Revival, Joyland). I'm always skeptical with any King adaptation, so it's interesting to hear Castle Rock is actually good. I'll have to give it a shot at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Nanette thing, eh....I don't do well with Ellen style rambling comedy...where they tell the joke and then just keep going...
    Have to ask, did you finish the hour? If you did, then fair enough.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Trying to imagine Nanette in Hedberg form..."We used to be misogynistic and racist in the way we ask minority comedians to tell jokes and re-frame their experiences, effectively making them dismiss the validity of their own experiences, for our entertainment. We still are misogynistic and racist in the way we ask minority comedians to tell jokes and re-frame their experiences, effectively making them dismiss the validity of their own experiences, for our entertainment but we used to be too."

Sharp Objects was a bit too drab in episode 1 so I stopped there. I probably won't go back unless the whole world rises up as one to hail it as the best HBO show of all time.

Hypocritically, the first episode of Hulu's Castle Rock was a bit drab but I kept watching and by episode 3 I was hooked. Not as artsy as Sharp Objects which I think sort of helps in a weird way. I sort of knew that the payoff in Castle Rock would be more fun and apparent and Sharp Objects felt like more of a risk of being a bunch of cryptic cut shots and intense acting moments with no fun or other stuff (I know that's likely not the case since I've heard good things but it's what kept me from getting too excited about watching the whole thing).

Very late on this but Barry on HBO turned into a Breaking Bad Lite in a good way about halfway through which was very surprising and enjoyable. I highly recommend returning to it if anyone else dropped out after a few episodes.
    My issue with Nanette is that self deprecation is part of all comedy, not just LGBT.

Rodney Dangerfield's entire career is self deprecation.

My issue with Nanette is that self deprecation is part of all comedy, not just LGBT.

Rodney Dangerfield's entire career is self deprecation.
    Dangerfield wouldn't make it today with the same material either, it was that hacky Borscht Belt style of humor that's long gone, and it was also winking self deprecation from a white guy who didn't struggle too much. It was a persona he created.

They call me "chef"

The self-deprecation serves a different purpose when it's attached to a non-comedic, non-consenting societal deprecation of your personal identity. If Rodney Dangerfield had actually, in his personal life, received no respect because of his race/identity and he had experienced abuse and death threats and he was expected to shave those under-represented experiences down into tolerable comedic punchlines about how he's an idiot who deserves no respect (and that let people laugh away the reality of those experiences), it'd be a closer comp to what Gadsby was inferring about comedy not serving female/LGBTQ/minority comics and stories the way it serves men and their stories.

That said, the takeaway wasn't that self-deprecating comedy is bad and no one should do it. I think she was just adding this whole chunk of reality to the conversation and making the personal choice to no longer use stand up comedy as the form/outlet for her work. I imagine she'll keep being funny but use a broader medium that allows for more complexity and that it's up to each individual person to decide whether comedy is the best tool for them or how they want to use it.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 08-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-14-2018)

Sharp Objects had an extremely slow start (I didn't need to see one more second of her driving while listening to Led Zeppelin), but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Dangerfield wouldn't make it today with the same material either, it was that hacky Borscht Belt style of humor that's long gone, and it was also winking self deprecation from a white guy who didn't struggle too much. It was a persona he created.
    So she really looks like a fat dude from afar?

They call me "chef"

If you're a big fan of the Great British Bake Off, check out Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman's reality competition show Makin' It. It is basically the exact same show as GBBO but with crafts instead of baked goods. Poehler and Offerman are the two comic hosts, the focus is on the passion and creativity of making crafts instead of the competition, and everyone gets along and helps each other. Highly recommended.

So she really looks like a fat dude from afar?
    So yeah, I don't see the point in engaging since you won't even say if you watched the entire thing. I'm guessing you didn't based on this set of posts and not answering, but who knows.

Did anyone else watch 3 Mics by Neal Brennan? It's similar to Nanette in that it's part comedy, part a serious analysis of what it's like to live with depression. I was skeptical at first, but I thought it was outstanding. I wonder if this is going to become a thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Did anyone else watch 3 Mics by Neal Brennan? It's similar to Nanette in that it's part comedy, part a serious analysis of what it's like to live with depression. I was skeptical at first, but I thought it was outstanding. I wonder if this is going to become a thing.
    I've had this on my list since you mentioned it, I need to get to it.

So yeah, I don't see the point in engaging since you won't even say if you watched the entire thing. I'm guessing you didn't based on this set of posts and not answering, but who knows.
    Save the snippiness for somebody else.

Conan O Brien makes fun of himself for being pale having a big chin, should he quit comedy?

They call me "chef"

Conan O Brien makes fun of himself for being pale having a big chin, should he quit comedy?
    On the surface, this seems like a counter argument to a different point than the one in the special. How would you describe Gadsby's argument? Also, in Redsfaithful's defense, if all someone said about that special was that the comedian didn't keep their jokes tight and that she reminded them of Ellen, I might wonder if that person had seen the second half of the special. It wasn't very jokey or joke format and it kind of introduces concepts that dwarf the trivial-seeming-in-context joke and comedy portion.

The funny thing is I can even tell where you turned it off lol

They call me "chef"

To be fair to Dom now, I turned it off 10-15 minutes in and thought "Hmm. Funny enough import comic. Not bad." on my first viewing. But then I read about what happens and came back and finished it. I didn't pre-decide she was wrong and to defend comedy (?).

Really, how much did I watch? Please tell me...

Turn Off Ads?