Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Orville is terrific.
    Watched last week's episode and was kind of meh about it. It had its moments, but way too slow in parts. It needed more comedy or more drama, or maybe both.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How are people liking The Deuce? I love the period re-creation aspect of it. It feels like the dirty, old town NYC used to be. I'm not sure I care about what's happening or anyone it's happening to yet, though it's not like there's any glaring flaws. I like the writing and the acting, but the characters feel a little small. I understand things are happening in NYC in this story, but are these the people the center of that story or are they peripheral? As a contrast, I never once asked that question while watching The Get Down.

The wife and I are really enjoying Anne With an E. I've always been an Anne of Green Gables fan, so I'm glad to have a new version.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, I finally got around to starting The Orville last night.

I think I like it -- it feels much less like a comedy and much more a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" with comedic elements. I'm very intrigued with where the show goes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-10-2017),TRF (09-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    So, I finally got around to starting The Orville last night.

I think I like it -- it feels much less like a comedy and much more a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" with comedic elements. I'm very intrigued with where the show goes.
    I said the same thing to some friends at work.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not trying to be political here but Ken Burns' new series on the Vietnam War started last night.
    I started watching it last night. I've only watched the first episode and it really opened my eyes to just how little I know about this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I started watching it last night. I've only watched the first episode and it really opened my eyes to just how little I know about this subject.
    I think Burns is relying heavily on Frances FitzGerald's "Fire in the Lake" as source material, kind of like with Shelby Foote and the Civil War. It's an amazing read.

This is Us is seriously awful television. My wife is obsessed with it. This is a soap opera on primetime, and even worse is the fact there are soooo many commercials.

Here I sit on my birthday. The kid is asleep. I am on my phone as my wife stares at this garbage tv show.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

KronoRed (09-27-2017),marcshoe (09-26-2017),TRF (09-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think Burns is relying heavily on Frances FitzGerald's "Fire in the Lake" as source material, kind of like with Shelby Foote and the Civil War. It's an amazing read.
    Finished watching it last night. Heartbreaking for all involved. Even for the politicians to a certain extent. They had a tiger by the tail and couldn't let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is Us is seriously awful television. My wife is obsessed with it. This is a soap opera on primetime, and even worse is the fact there are soooo many commercials.

Here I sit on my birthday. The kid is asleep. I am on my phone as my wife stares at this garbage tv show.
    I kind of like it. It is a soap opera. I mean, you can't have a family drama without constant drama. Otherwise it's just people going to work and doing household chores. Yet the way they tie the family's modern life to its origin story gives it an epic scope. Neatly plays Boomer aspirations and failings off Millennial angst. Yet the key is the characters work, at least for me. They've got some scope and dimension. Kind of got reeled in one overcast weekend last year and now I'm legit interested in where they go.

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-27-2017)

My wife loves it. I have watched it from time to time, and tend to ignore her by asking questions, both intentionally and unintentionally. I think they killed off the best story-line with dad and adopted son.

Happy belated birthday, but what do you expect with a kid at home, a huge banger? My birthdays anymore consist of a couple of drinks and an early bedtime. Maybe a night out on the weekend with some free babysitting (parents or brother.)

If you super glued my hand to a cannon ball and shot it into a living room showing that show, I still wouldn't watch it.

That said, I just watched the third episode of The Orville last night, and I am very surprised at how serious the story is while still being funny. This is not Family Guy in space.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-27-2017)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That said, I just watched the third episode of The Orville last night, and I am very surprised at how serious the story is while still being funny. This is not Family Guy in space.
    McFarlane is in a really interesting position with this show -- I'm genuinely curious if he has the skill to keep the science- fiction elements balanced with the comedy, because that's a tough line to walk in this genre without becoming cheesy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

19. Likes:

TRF (09-27-2017)

I don't know how you guys can watch that for the sole reason that McFarlane is the worst actor outside of direct to cable/Netflix type productions working today. I could maybe ignore all the other issues with him writing it, but I absolutely can't watch him on screen, he's terrible.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My wife loves it. I have watched it from time to time, and tend to ignore her by asking questions, both intentionally and unintentionally. I think they killed off the best story-line with dad and adopted son.

Happy belated birthday, but what do you expect with a kid at home, a huge banger? My birthdays anymore consist of a couple of drinks and an early bedtime. Maybe a night out on the weekend with some free babysitting (parents or brother.)
    Haha, I certainly wasn't expecting a party, but I would have taken my wife asking if I wanted to watch a show we both like at least.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?