Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't know how you guys can watch that for the sole reason that McFarlane is the worst actor outside of direct to cable/Netflix type productions working today. I could maybe ignore all the other issues with him writing it, but I absolutely can't watch him on screen, he's terrible.
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor.

Seth is surprisingly relaxed in this setting. Not stilted or over performed at all. Believe me, I was surprised.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor..
    Take it back! Mark Hamill is a saint!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (09-27-2017),marcshoe (09-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor.

Seth is surprisingly relaxed in this setting. Not stilted or over performed at all. Believe me, I was surprised.
    Oof I'd take Hamill over McFarlane every day, but it's interesting to hear Seth is doing better here.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't know how you guys can watch that for the sole reason that McFarlane is the worst actor outside of direct to cable/Netflix type productions working today. I could maybe ignore all the other issues with him writing it, but I absolutely can't watch him on screen, he's terrible.
    He's (smartly) let a lot of the ensemble cast do the heavy lifting thus far.

Plus, I think he's probably been pretending to be a Starfleet captain for most of his life. That has to help.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

7. Likes:

TRF (09-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Take it back! Mark Hamill is a saint!
    I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy.

Just that if he died tomorrow is corpse would be accused of over acting.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

A couple notes from recent TV. The first season of the Good Place was tremendously original. Complete with twist at the end. I was concerned that they could not keep that level of originality up. I've now watched 2 episodes, and while I enjoyed them, it hasn't been the same so far. I heard some speculation on this years spoiler, and I think it may be right, which of course lessens the fun. They had dropped hints about the spoiler last year, and I caught a reference to the speculated spoiler already this year.

Looked forward to catching the revival of Will and Grace. Was very disappointed. Even with a great cast and great chemistry, if a show doesn't have writers it's in trouble. This show had to explain how they were back together in the same situation after (apparently...I didn't remember it), a finale previously which had showed a quite different future. The way they did it was totally lacking in imagination. They basically just stood there and did a monologue.

But then the show started..... the entire half hour was essentially two jokes done over and over. Joke one - Trump. Joke 2 - Gay sexual innuendo/entendre. Over and Over and Over and Over. Essentially no plot. Nothing inventive. I've read some reviews that said the same thing. Those professional reviewers have had access to the first 3 episodes and most say the subsequent episodes were better. It got great ratings (of course it was heavily promoted), and NBC has already okayed Season 2 before a single episode aired. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Saw the opening episode of The Good Doctor. I was left kind of unsure about how I felt about it. Shows based on a gimmick always have to move beyond the gimmick and be good on their own. The medical scenes were good but how many times will they be able to play the "he's sees things no one else sees" card? And the boardroom debate on whether to hire him was bad. At the end of group of people who voted overwhelmingly to fire him, kept him after a speech in which he sounded totally incompetent. "My bunny went to heaven".

I plan to catch some of the other premiers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How are people liking The Deuce? I love the period re-creation aspect of it. It feels like the dirty, old town NYC used to be. I'm not sure I care about what's happening or anyone it's happening to yet, though it's not like there's any glaring flaws. I like the writing and the acting, but the characters feel a little small. I understand things are happening in NYC in this story, but are these the people the center of that story or are they peripheral? As a contrast, I never once asked that question while watching The Get Down.
    I would watch it if I had HBO. I trust David Simon with any subject matter. My wife has never seen athe Wire, and I look forward to reliving that someday
    Stick to your guns.

You're the Worst turned Aya Cash up to 11 this week.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (10-03-2017),Chip R (10-09-2017),dougdirt (10-02-2017)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I really liked the new Trek: Discovery episode — but the entire vibe of the show feels more like Mass Effect: The TV Adventures than Star Trek.

Maybe that’s a good thing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Has anyone watched Show Me a Hero on hbo? I've heard it was really good but it's not one you hear a lot about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    A couple notes from recent TV. The first season of the Good Place was tremendously original. Complete with twist at the end. I was concerned that they could not keep that level of originality up. I've now watched 2 episodes, and while I enjoyed them, it hasn't been the same so far. I heard some speculation on this years spoiler, and I think it may be right, which of course lessens the fun. They had dropped hints about the spoiler last year, and I caught a reference to the speculated spoiler already this year.

Looked forward to catching the revival of Will and Grace. Was very disappointed. Even with a great cast and great chemistry, if a show doesn't have writers it's in trouble. This show had to explain how they were back together in the same situation after (apparently...I didn't remember it), a finale previously which had showed a quite different future. The way they did it was totally lacking in imagination. They basically just stood there and did a monologue.

But then the show started..... the entire half hour was essentially two jokes done over and over. Joke one - Trump. Joke 2 - Gay sexual innuendo/entendre. Over and Over and Over and Over. Essentially no plot. Nothing inventive. I've read some reviews that said the same thing. Those professional reviewers have had access to the first 3 episodes and most say the subsequent episodes were better. It got great ratings (of course it was heavily promoted), and NBC has already okayed Season 2 before a single episode aired. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    The 3rd/4th episode of The Good place last week was pretty fun. Gotta trust Ken Tremendous.

Agree 100% about W&G. It was very hackneyed. Didn't watch it last week cause of baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

In this week's Good Place the Jacksonville Jaguars got of bit of a shout out.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59ItK6d-wQ

Still enjoying it but not as much as last year. Second episode of W&G was certainly better. Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally are funnier than Will and Grace. So when episodes feature them more I think they are better.

Have watched and liked Wisdom of the Crowd thru 2 episodes. I thought the final bit of the mystery being solved (no spoilers) was stretching the concept a bit. So I hope they don't go dry too quickly.

Heard some recommendations about Kevin almost Save the World. It stars John Ritter's kid. He bothered me a bit. It was almost like he was impersonating his dad. But the sister, niece and especially the "Warrior for God" are very likeable. Will give it another look-see.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-10-2017)

I want to like "The Good Place" more than I do. It's a good premise, I like the cast and writers, but I feel like I'm still waiting for it to actually be funny.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I enjoyed last season, but I don't feel like it's hit a groove yet this season. It's tough to change the dynamic as drastically as they did, even while leaving the characters, setting, and ostensible premise in place.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

With all the great new, original TV being made now, why all the remakes of shows from the past? Do we really need Full House, Roseanne and Will & Grace again? If you like those shows, watch their reruns.

Granted, I just watched and really enjoyed the first season of an Anne of Green Gables remake, so I guess I'm complicit.

Turn Off Ads?