Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Put me in the camp who thought Stranger Things 2 was great. I wish seasons 3 and 4 were out tomorrow. Thought Mindhunter was excellent. Thought Manhunt (Unabomber) had its moments.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

M2 (11-19-2017),RedTeamGo! (12-04-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Put me in the camp who thought Stranger Things 2 was great.
    Just binged it this weekend. Loved it. Even dug episode 7, which the Internet decided to yowl about. They aped the '80s urban movie look of classics like Class of 1984, Tuff Turf and Angel. That was some serious B movie homage.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I enjoyed the first episode of The Mayor. I'll give it a shot. Watched the first two episodes of Ghosted. Not sure about it. I'm a big fan of Adam Scott and Craig Robinson, so I'll give it a few more episodes.
    I've really enjoyed The Mayor. Ghosted is ok.

Is anyone watching Tales from the Tour Bus? It’s Mike Judge and it’s brilliant.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 11-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Just binged it this weekend. Loved it. Even dug episode 7, which the Internet decided to yowl about. They aped the '80s urban movie look of classics like Class of 1984, Tuff Turf and Angel. That was some serious B movie homage.
    Agree. The cynical side of me knows that most of these actor contracts stipulate that they get paid per episode. So in some ways I wonder if they made Eleven the only major cast member for that show for budgetary reasons. But if I get past that then I don’t see what all the negativity was about
    Stick to your guns.

I was surprised to find out that the Duffer brothers were born in ‘84, and thus didn’t really “grow up” in the 80s. I figured that they were older so that they would have been at least as old as the main 4 boys in 84. They nailed the period references IMHO
    Stick to your guns.

I was surprised to find out that the Duffer brothers were born in ‘84, and thus didn’t really “grow up” in the 80s. I figured that they were older so that they would have been at least as old as the main 4 boys in 84. They nailed the period references IMHO
    It's a lot easier to remember the eighties fondly if you weren't there.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. The cynical side of me knows that most of these actor contracts stipulate that they get paid per episode. So in some ways I wonder if they made Eleven the only major cast member for that show for budgetary reasons. But if I get past that then I don’t see what all the negativity was about
    The only problem I had with that episode was the timing. This was an interruption at possibly the most tense time in the season. I've seen several people say that 6 was the best episode; I thought it was 8, in large part due to Sean Astin.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

M2 (11-27-2017)

They call me "chef"

#8 was by far the best episode of the show IMO. #7 felt like a backdoor pilot for a "new series that takes place in the world of Stranger Things" spinoff.

The Punisher is getting lukewarm reviews. But I’m 7 episodes in and think it’s quite good. Watch Daredevil first.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It's a lot easier to remember the eighties fondly if you weren't there.
    Seemed like the '80s really sucked if you were an adult. Pretty much every major cultural movement in that decade was geared toward teens. It's really strange, because Gen Xers are relatively small in numbers. Yet the cultural touchpoints of the '80s that have endured are almost exclusively the stuff that was geared toward us.

This wraps back to what chili was saying about the Duffer brothers being able to reconstruct a decade they barely remember. They made a lot of movies about Gen Xers in the 80s, and a combination of low production values and aiming for visual realism gives us a fairly unique time capsule. You can recreate the decade because a glut of pulp film more or less documented it. You can piece together Steve's HS royalty, Mike's soul-crushing suburban yawnscape and Will's family of locals who've missed the trickle down. A lot of Xers grew up in places where those things existed side-by-side. When you amalgamate Valley Girl and All the Right Moves, you get something that begins to feel authentic to those of us who lived through it. I'm becoming increasingly convinced the Duffer brothers have watched a megaton of 80s movies, and Hawkins, IN is what you get when you synthesize all of it into one place.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-02-2017),marcshoe (11-27-2017),RichRed (12-12-2017)

If you like detective/crime drama, Season 3 of Broadchurch is on Netflix, and it’s quite good. You may know David Tenant as the stellar villain in Jessica Jones. He also played Dr Who for 11 years. He’s great as a protagonist in this, as is his partner
    Stick to your guns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can not stress to you enough how much you need to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. Brand new series about a 1950's housewife who has her husband leave her and the kids and she decides to become a standup comedian. It's incredible. The trailer for it isn't great, so if you watch that, just know that as someone who watched the entire first season, the trailer left me wondering if whoever put it together watched the series at all.

IMDB users rate it 8.9 out of 10 - which is incredibly high.
    Rotten Tomatoes critic score is 95. Rotten tomatoes user score is 96.

Start watching it. Tonight. It's the best show I've watched all year. It was more enjoyable than any movie I watched all year.

17. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2017),Chip R (12-06-2017),cincinnati chili (12-05-2017)

I'm 7 years behind, but just finished Lost.

Overall I found it to be entertaining, and aside from Jack I liked most of the characters (Ben Linus might be one of the greatest characters of all time).

The series finale was amazing. I think it might be my all time favorite.

Overall grade 7/10
    Series finale grade 10/10

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm 7 years behind, but just finished Lost.

Overall I found it to be entertaining, and aside from Jack I liked most of the characters (Ben Linus might be one of the greatest characters of all time).

The series finale was amazing. I think it might be my all time favorite.

Overall grade 7/10
    Series finale grade 10/10
    You already watch The Leftovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    You already watch The Leftovers?
    No, should I?

Turn Off Ads?