Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    No, should I?
    I don't want to spoil the experience for you by raising expectations but it's one of my favorite shows of all time. It takes a while to warm up but the end of season 1 and all of seasons 2 and 3 are wild. I mention it because it was created by Damon Lindelof who co-created Lost and has a similar (so I'm told) off-kilter kind of world building. It's only 3 seasons and the story ends on it's own terms (not canceled or forced to go 10 seasons). I think there are a few other Leftovers fanatics on here who can chime in.

2. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-06-2017),Raisor (12-05-2017),Redsfaithful (12-04-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can not stress to you enough how much you need to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. Brand new series about a 1950's housewife who has her husband leave her and the kids and she decides to become a standup comedian. It's incredible. The trailer for it isn't great, so if you watch that, just know that as someone who watched the entire first season, the trailer left me wondering if whoever put it together watched the series at all.

IMDB users rate it 8.9 out of 10 - which is incredibly high.
    Rotten Tomatoes critic score is 95. Rotten tomatoes user score is 96.

Start watching it. Tonight. It's the best show I've watched all year. It was more enjoyable than any movie I watched all year.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched the first 2 and this show is brilliant.

5. Likes:

dougdirt (12-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    If you like detective/crime drama, Season 3 of Broadchurch is on Netflix, and it’s quite good. You may know David Tenant as the stellar villain in Jessica Jones. He also played Dr Who for 11 years. He’s great as a protagonist in this, as is his partner
    We just finished. We stopped after the first episode of the 2nd season. I wasn't at all interested in that story line. But we liked season 3. It's a good show, but not a great one, IMO, but the back and forth between Tenant and his partner is so good it elevates the show. The actress who plays Ellie is really good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

7. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-16-2017)

No, should I?
    If you thought Lost was mostly a plot show, you may not love the Leftovers. If you thought Lost mostly a character show, then you'd probably like the Leftovers.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

9. Likes:

Raisor (12-15-2017)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    the back and forth between Tenant and his partner is so good it elevates the show. The actress who plays Ellie is really good.
    She will be taking over the role of Queen Elizabeth from Claire Foye in season 3 of The Crown. Not sure why they couldn’t just put Foye in old lady makeup, but I think Ellie actress will be great.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can not stress to you enough how much you need to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. Brand new series about a 1950's housewife who has her husband leave her and the kids and she decides to become a standup comedian. It's incredible. The trailer for it isn't great, so if you watch that, just know that as someone who watched the entire first season, the trailer left me wondering if whoever put it together watched the series at all.

IMDB users rate it 8.9 out of 10 - which is incredibly high.
    Rotten Tomatoes critic score is 95. Rotten tomatoes user score is 96.

Start watching it. Tonight. It's the best show I've watched all year. It was more enjoyable than any movie I watched all year.
    Gotta back Doug up here. Finished watching this last night and it is a very fine show.

That said, I had a few quibbles with it. I thought there were some phrases in there that I can't quite recall off the top of my head that were anachronistic. I also don't think a comedian - especially a female one starting out - would use the F word as much as she did. Especially since she was busted for it twice. Wouldn't there be cops there hoping to catch her or some other performer saying that? And speaking of the arrests, why did they leave that dangle when Abe was told about Midge being arrested? Knowing his character, one would have thought he would have confronted her about it ASAP. I also thought it could have used more interaction with her and her kids. All she basically did with them is give them to her husband or parents. No one said anything about her possibly neglecting them.

I did think it was interesting to keep the husband involved throughout the show. And the parents - mostly the fathers - were full formed characters.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    She will be taking over the role of Queen Elizabeth from Claire Foye in season 3 of The Crown. Not sure why they couldn’t just put Foye in old lady makeup, but I think Ellie actress will be great.
    That's fantastic. We're halfway through season 2 and we've also wondered why they can't just use makeup. But makeup isn't always easy to make someone look older, unless you make them look elderly. Claire Foy looks marginally older from the first episode where she's supposed to be 19 to the the end of season 2 where she's supposed to be 35. Claire Foy is 33. Trying to make her look in her 40s or 50s may be tough. If she went directly to her 60s, that would probably be easier. And a makeup job that isn't entirely believable could be enough to ruin the season.

My wife commented in one of the recent episodes we watched that Elizabeth's mother should look older than she does. She looks the same as the first episode that took place in 1942. Aging makeup isn't easy to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Gotta back Doug up here. Finished watching this last night and it is a very fine show.

That said, I had a few quibbles with it. I thought there were some phrases in there that I can't quite recall off the top of my head that were anachronistic. I also don't think a comedian - especially a female one starting out - would use the F word as much as she did. Especially since she was busted for it twice. Wouldn't there be cops there hoping to catch her or some other performer saying that? And speaking of the arrests, why did they leave that dangle when Abe was told about Midge being arrested? Knowing his character, one would have thought he would have confronted her about it ASAP. I also thought it could have used more interaction with her and her kids. All she basically did with them is give them to her husband or parents. No one said anything about her possibly neglecting them.

I did think it was interesting to keep the husband involved throughout the show. And the parents - mostly the fathers - were full formed characters.
    I recall hearing the phrase "nerd alert" during one episode; I think Alex Borstein said it. Not sure that was a thing in 1958. Nevertheless, it's a great show.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2017)

Is there anyone else out there who didn't love Game of Thrones? I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who hasn't thought it was one of the best shows ever. I finally relented and started watching last week.

I'm halfway through season 2 and think I may have had enough. I have never really liked any show with a strong science fiction component. People have told me GOT is not sci-fi. There are some sci-fi elements, but the show is not sci-fi. And while that seemed to be the case for most of the first season, the show almost lost me when the dragons were born to the white haired queen in the last episode.

But I decided to continue. Then that lady who always wears read is giving birth in a cave and out comes black smoke. I almost turned it off right then. The smoke then proceeds to enter his brother's tent, murder him, then slip right out. That type of thing is just not for me. That may be the death of this show for me.

Am I the only one who isn't in love with this show?

Is there anyone else out there who didn't love Game of Thrones? I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who hasn't thought it was one of the best shows ever. I finally relented and started watching last week.

I'm halfway through season 2 and think I may have had enough. I have never really liked any show with a strong science fiction component. People have told me GOT is not sci-fi. There are some sci-fi elements, but the show is not sci-fi. And while that seemed to be the case for most of the first season, the show almost lost me when the dragons were born to the white haired queen in the last episode.

But I decided to continue. Then that lady who always wears read is giving birth in a cave and out comes black smoke. I almost turned it off right then. The smoke then proceeds to enter his brother's tent, murder him, then slip right out. That type of thing is just not for me. That may be the death of this show for me.

it's not SciFi, it's fantasy.

and yeah, if you didn't like that you might as well stop.

But it's a great show.

They call me "chef"

You might just be the first trail blazer to think dragons are stupid and GoT is overrated. People who love the show have never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    You might just be the first trail blazer to think dragons are stupid and GoT is overrated. People who love the show have never heard that before.
    I'm not suggesting it's overrated. I don't think it is. It's just not a show for everyone. What surprises me is people I know very well whose TV viewing habits are nearly identical to mine have loved the show. I just can't get past dragons and black smoke coming out of a woman's uterus. I'm not saying it's stupid, just that as much as I've tried to like shows/movies with these things, I just can't. I have no imagination at all. I love Star Wars, though. LOL

I'm not suggesting it's overrated. I don't think it is. It's just not a show for everyone. What surprises me is people I know very well whose TV viewing habits are nearly identical to mine have loved the show. I just can't get past dragons and black smoke coming out of a woman's uterus. I'm not saying it's stupid, just that as much as I've tried to like shows/movies with these things, I just can't. I have no imagination at all. I love Star Wars, though. LOL
    You don't have to believe in dragons, because dragons believe in you.

Game of Thrones has dragons!? How about a spoiler alert?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

21. Likes:

Kinsm (01-27-2018),Raisor (12-26-2017)

It's a show about politics and why people can't seem to solve large problems collectively.

Viewed through a lens like that it's easier to understand why it hits people who don't normally enjoy fantasy.

I don't think you should keep watching. I'm not sure what I would have thought about the show if I hadn't read the books first.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?