Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's a show about politics and why people can't seem to solve large problems collectively.

Viewed through a lens like that it's easier to understand why it hits people who don't normally enjoy fantasy.

I don't think you should keep watching. I'm not sure what I would have thought about the show if I hadn't read the books first.

It's mostly about how stupid most of the Stark men are. And dragons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It's mostly about how stupid most of the Stark men are. And dragons.
    This is also true.

Something else I should have added: there are payoffs that are tremendous, as good as anything I have ever seen but I don't think it's worth all the hours if it's not grabbing you by season two.

It's really a tier two show, I think it also helps to go in not expecting it to be one of the greatest shows ever made.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

They call me "chef"

Also, the Stannis storylines are some of my least favorite so I wouldn't use that as a barometer of the quality or entertainment levels of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is also true.

Something else I should have added: there are payoffs that are tremendous, as good as anything I have ever seen but I don't think it's worth all the hours if it's not grabbing you by season two.

It's really a tier two show, I think it also helps to go in not expecting it to be one of the greatest shows ever made.
    I will probably watch to the end of season 2 and see from there. I really wish I liked sci-fi/fantasy shows. It would significantly increase my playlist. And I've tried before. I do not snub my nose at it. I don't think it's dumb. My mind just won't let me go to a place where it allows me to enjoy it. I only started watching this because I have nothing else on my list and it's been tough to find anything new for a while now. What I was hoping was people on this thread would tell me to stick with it because it doesn't really get into its groove until season 3.

Ironically, I loved Lost. Thought it was genius. The fantasy aspect of it is what kept me watching it the first few seasons, but I got hooked after that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I will probably watch to the end of season 2 and see from there. I really wish I liked sci-fi/fantasy shows. It would significantly increase my playlist. And I've tried before. I do not snub my nose at it. I don't think it's dumb. My mind just won't let me go to a place where it allows me to enjoy it. I only started watching this because I have nothing else on my list and it's been tough to find anything new for a while now. What I was hoping was people on this thread would tell me to stick with it because it doesn't really get into its groove until season 3.

Ironically, I loved Lost. Thought it was genius. The fantasy aspect of it is what kept me watching it the first few seasons, but I got hooked after that.
    I think every season is good because this show is so good. That said the show really does pick up in Season 3 and 4. Most people tend to think those are the best 2 seasons of the 7 season thus far. But it's tough to say if you don't really like it already, that you are going to start liking it based on the events of those seasons.

If you get to the Red Wedding and don't like it, you'll never like it.

The Red Wedding is the high point of the series.

And more proof that Stark men are idiots.

Also, spoiler alert, it's always spring/summer/fall.....but winter is coming. Be warned.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

9. Likes:

Razor Shines (12-27-2017)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I have never really liked any show with a strong science fiction component.
    Did you like Stranger Things? I’ve never seen GOT. Not because of a lack of curiosity, but more because I don’t have HBO, and still have a huge backlog of acclaimed serieses that I’d like to see but haven’t had time. I think the 3 most “classic” serieses I’ve never started or finished are GOT, Downton Abbey, and Breaking Bad. Of the 3, I have the least curiosity about GOT.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Did you like Stranger Things? I’ve never seen GOT. Not because of a lack of curiosity, but more because I don’t have HBO, and still have a huge backlog of acclaimed serieses that I’d like to see but haven’t had time. I think the 3 most “classic” serieses I’ve never started or finished are GOT, Downton Abbey, and Breaking Bad. Of the 3, I have the least curiosity about GOT.
    I haven't, but am considering it, largely due to the people from this thread who have watched. I don't know much about it, but my 17 year old daughter loves it, so I just assumed it was meant more for a younger audience. Reading this thread I realize I'm wrong about that.

If you liked The Crown, you'll probably like Downton Abbey. I enjoyed that one. Breaking Bad is great, but it's not in my top tier of all time shows like it is for a lot of people.

I know it's an HBO show, but if you haven't seen The Leftovers, I'd put that one on the top of your list. It's only 3 seasons, 10 episodes each. You can also buy an entire season on Amazon streaming for $4.99. For me, The Leftovers is 2nd only to The Wire in all time best shows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Leftovers is an all time top 5 show for sure.

The cool thing about Breaking Bad is that I'm now good for the foreseeable future on shows with white, male antiheroes. I don't mean that in a bad way either, I just can't imagine what else needs to be said in the genre after The Sopranos, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I really wish I liked sci-fi/fantasy shows. It would significantly increase my playlist. And I've tried before. I do not snub my nose at it. I don't think it's dumb.
    I don't wish I liked sci-fi/fantasy and DO think they're dumb. But there are plenty of things I like that other people think are dumb, and that's fine too. Different strokes and all that crap.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I haven't, but am considering it, largely due to the people from this thread who have watched. I don't know much about it, but my 17 year old daughter loves it, so I just assumed it was meant more for a younger audience. Reading this thread I realize I'm wrong about that.

If you liked The Crown, you'll probably like Downton Abbey. I enjoyed that one. Breaking Bad is great, but it's not in my top tier of all time shows like it is for a lot of people.

I know it's an HBO show, but if you haven't seen The Leftovers, I'd put that one on the top of your list. It's only 3 seasons, 10 episodes each. You can also buy an entire season on Amazon streaming for $4.99. For me, The Leftovers is 2nd only to The Wire in all time best shows.
    Leftovers is on my list, but I may bump it up if it's only $4.99. Wire is probably my favorite all-time show, and I didn't see it until a few years ago. Again, no HBO.

Stranger things is primarily targeted, in my opinion, toward fans of ET and/or Stephen King who were 11 years old at some point between 1980 and 1987. Older and younger (like your daughter) people like it, but it was created for people our age.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-02-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

I'm apparently way behind the times, because I just watched Making a Murderer. Geez, there are a lot of unanswered questions after watching that, but every law school in the country should have a class for 1Ls dedicated to that series.

Just finished Dark on Netflix. It was really good, much better than I expected going in. I thought it'd be a Stranger Things inspired scifi but it was so much more. Highly recommend if you're into time travel sci-fi.

I started "Mindhunter" on Netflix and am 5 episodes in. So far so good. It is an interesting twist to a crime show.

Turn Off Ads?