Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The TV Brand Thread

Re: The TV Brand Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Before you get a lampshade, I'd suggest a bulb.

Love the white/blue color scheme. Goes very well together.
    Ha, yes, I have an LED “bulb” (I used to sell lighting products and it’s still weird calling lamps bulbs for me).

Thank you! I really like the color as well. It’s “yacht blue.” If you can see it, I was inspired by that The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou cross-section poster. I purchased it at a craft show in cleveland a few years ago.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I thought that when I saw the photo, but it was the only one that had that theme in the picture, so I thought it may have just been a coincidence.

Well, today was an interesting one. I was working in the garage and did something really stupid and wound up cutting my thumb. It was pretty good and I was bleeding all over the place (I knew I was fine - but I don't recall bleeding like this, either). Knew that if nothing else, I needed to go get a tetanus shot because I cut myself on something that could have been an issue and it's been quite a while since I had one (I was in school, which has been at least 15 years....). My mom works about 5 minutes from where I live, so I called to see if she could come drive me to urgent care, which is also only a few minutes away. So after two hours at urgent care, a shot and a few stitches later she asked me if we could stop at Best Buy and check out some TV's. She's been considering a new one for a while.

They had quite a few 49-55" 4K smart TV's in her price range (400-500). They had a 50" TCL Roku Smart TV. She was hesitant to go with that because she streams tv and uses an antenna, and the Roku TV's don't have remotes that have numbers. I talked with one of the sales guys at Best Buy and he assured me that if we got a Universal remote that it would work for the TCL tv. For an extra $12, it was worth it because the TV had good capabilities (120 hz refresh, HDR, Smart Apps built in on the Roku platform she already knows). Took it to her house, hooked it all up - universal remote claims it programmed to the tv, but it absolutely does not function. Which sucks. Getting from channel 5.1 to 64.1 isn't as bad as either of us imagined, but it's still far more difficult than just hitting 64.1. I'm not sure who thought through the whole Roku TV but couldn't think about including a remote with numbers on it, but that person should be fired. First impressions, though - outstanding TV for the price.

Sidenote - typing without my left thumb isn't as bad as I expected it to be (my thumb still exists, but I'm not able to use it for much as it's just a big bulge of blue taped up mess until tomorrow), but it certainly makes things a little bit slower.

Just remembered something else about the TCL TV that was pretty cool. It's got a sort-of-built-in short-term DVR. You have to put a USB drive into the TV, but for OTA stuff, you can rewind up to 90 minutes of whatever channel you are watching. That is limited to it remaining on that channel, and you had to be watching it that entire time, but I thought that it was a very cool feature that I hadn't seen built into other TV's yet. Certainly they could do more with the software, but it's better than nothing and I'm jealous that I don't have it on my TV, especially for sports.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just remembered something else about the TCL TV that was pretty cool. It's got a sort-of-built-in short-term DVR. You have to put a USB drive into the TV, but for OTA stuff, you can rewind up to 90 minutes of whatever channel you are watching. That is limited to it remaining on that channel, and you had to be watching it that entire time, but I thought that it was a very cool feature that I hadn't seen built into other TV's yet. Certainly they could do more with the software, but it's better than nothing and I'm jealous that I don't have it on my TV, especially for sports.
    Wow, that’s awesome - thanks for heads up!

I have cable down there, but it doesn’t have a DVR, so I will def utilize that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

That's the way DirectTV DVR's work. Even if you are not recording a show the last 90 minutes of whatever channel you are on.

Roku just introduced new models. Along with it they introduced a new OS, OS8. OS8 seems to have some features enabling OTA into the interface.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-os-8...oice-controls/

And all Roku TV's will get OS8.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I believe that is only for OTA channels that are running through an antenna and through the TV, not for anything else running through the TV.

Saw some reviews of this TCL set, that made me consider getting it.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...?skuId=5878705

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Saw some reviews of this TCL set, that made me consider getting it.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...?skuId=5878705
    We got the 55” last Christmas. Like it so well that we’ve ordered another for our screened porch that were turning into an outdoor living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-25-2017)

OK, I made the move for the TCL 4K set with built in Roku. Except I couldn't help myself. I've jumped up to 65". I watch a lot of TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

Got it for $628 from Walmart. Pick it up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OK, I made the move for the TCL 4K set with built in Roku. Except I couldn't help myself. I've jumped up to 65". I watch a lot of TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

Got it for $628 from Walmart. Pick it up tomorrow.
    My mom and brother both bought TCL 4K's. My mom loves hers. My brother had to return his. I don't know if his was just broken/messed up, but he claims that anything with fastmotion (video games, sports) looked TERRIBLE. He said that it was like it was a 30 hz even though it claimed it was 120hz. He didn't try a second one, he just bought an LG. Neither was a 65". Hopefully you get yours and your experience is more like the one that my mom has had and you love it. I've got a feeling that my brother just got a lemon.

I finally got the LG OLED 55 inch 4k about 2 weeks ago after looking at it forever. I also got a Sonos Playbase. I've had a 50 inch Samsung plasma for a long time and it was still fine, but this new one is incredible. Normal TV is pretty amazing and any of the 4k stuff I watch on Amazon or Netflix is just unreal. It wasn't the cheapest of purchases, but I'm really happy.

15. Likes:

dougdirt (02-14-2018)

LG OLED is the best tv technology out there, good for you.

I wish I had 1,500 to drop on one.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 02-14-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Initial review is I'm pretty happy. I had everything planned out time-wise until the TV was so big it wouldn't fit on the stand we had.I have appt this morning and then this afternoon I"ll finish the 3 room TV hand me down.

As far as OLED... I wasn't trying to buy the best. If it wasn't for the great price I wouldn't have jumped on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    LG OLED is the best tv technology out there, good for you.

I wish I had 1,500 to drop on one.
    Thanks...it took me a really long time to pull the trigger, but I'm really enjoying it.

Turn Off Ads?