Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The TV Brand Thread

The TV Brand Thread

Ok, I just finished my basement man cave and need a TV to pull everything together.

I would like to keep it under $400-$500, which I think is realistic with current prices.

I don't need a smart tv, because I have a PS3, and was thinking I can just get a roku for $25 if the PS3 is not adequate.

I currently have a 40 inch Samsung in my living room, which I love, but I want to go bigger with this tv and the 50-55 inch Samsung's are over the budget I have in mind.

I found a 48 inch Vizio for $299 at Best Buy - does anyone have experience with Vizio? Thoughts?

I found a 49 inch LG, but after my last LG tv and LG washing machine I swore I would never go LG again. Both were terrible. Although, the LG TV was purchased way back in 2006. After about a year or two there was a pink line down the screen.

The other budget brands seem to be Insignia, Sharp, TCL, Toshiba, and Westinghouse.

From my googling it seems like TCL and Vizio is preferred. But, the TCL scares me because everyone seems to say picture quality is mediocre, but they love it because the built-in roku. Vizio has good picture quality, but not many bells or whistles.

Is UHD or 4K worth the extra $100-$150?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The TV Brand Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ok, I just finished my basement man cave and need a TV to pull everything together.

I would like to keep it under $400-$500, which I think is realistic with current prices.

I don't need a smart tv, because I have a PS3, and was thinking I can just get a roku for $25 if the PS3 is not adequate.

I currently have a 40 inch Samsung in my living room, which I love, but I want to go bigger with this tv and the 50-55 inch Samsung's are over the budget I have in mind.

I found a 48 inch Vizio for $299 at Best Buy - does anyone have experience with Vizio? Thoughts?

I found a 49 inch LG, but after my last LG tv and LG washing machine I swore I would never go LG again. Both were terrible. Although, the LG TV was purchased way back in 2006. After about a year or two there was a pink line down the screen.

The other budget brands seem to be Insignia, Sharp, TCL, Toshiba, and Westinghouse.

From my googling it seems like TCL and Vizio is preferred. But, the TCL scares me because everyone seems to say picture quality is mediocre, but they love it because the built-in roku. Vizio has good picture quality, but not many bells or whistles.

Is UHD or 4K worth the extra $100-$150?
    I've been doing a lot of TV research recently because I've been looking to upgrade over a 10 year old plasma TV I currently have.

Couple questions:

What do you primarily plan to use the TV for? Sports? Gaming? Netflix?

How long do you want to keep the TV?

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of TV research recently because I've been looking to upgrade over a 10 year old plasma TV I currently have.

Couple questions:

What do you primarily plan to use the TV for? Sports? Gaming? Netflix?

How long do you want to keep the TV?
    I will use this mostly for movies (blue ray and DVD), sports, Netflix/Prime, and old school gaming - SNES and N64.

If it lasts me 3 years I'll be happy, at that point it would be an excuse to go all out for a really badass tv.

I forgot to say in OP - I am looking at LED LCD screens. No need for OLED or curved or whatever.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.

I'm not a videophile by any means, but I've yet to have or see a modern TV of a notable brand that didn't provide a very solid viewing experience. Personally, I've had a number of Sony TVs and always been happy with them. I have a Samsung now that has been just fine.

Also, I'm a proponent of keeping my TV as dumb as possible so that I can swap/upgrade the "smart" part whenever I need to. The companies who build TVs aren't selling those TVs on the quality of their smart software. That said, you almost have to search to avoid it, so I'm not sure you actually end up paying too much of a premium for a basic smart TV.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I will use this mostly for movies (blue ray and DVD), sports, Netflix/Prime, and old school gaming - SNES and N64.

If it lasts me 3 years I'll be happy, at that point it would be an excuse to go all out for a really badass tv.

I forgot to say in OP - I am looking at LED LCD screens. No need for OLED or curved or whatever.
    Curved is a waste of time and a gimmick, doesn't add anything. I'm going to buy an OLED, but they are quite a bit more expensive, although the picture quality compared to LCD is crazy.

If you only plan on using it for 3 years I wouldn't worry about 4k since it'll be about 2-3 years before there is a lot of 4k stuff available anyways.

I'm not a big gamer, but from reviews I would probably go more name brand, that seems to make a difference. You can get an under 50 inch Samsung, LG or Sony for less than $500 for sure if you do a 1080. I have a 42 Vizio in my office, and I would say it's fine for just watching CNN, but I don't do anything else with it. It was really cheap, but the picture quality isn't better than the 8 year old plasma TV I have at home.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not a videophile by any means, but I've yet to have or see a modern TV of a notable brand that didn't provide a very solid viewing experience. Personally, I've had a number of Sony TVs and always been happy with them. I have a Samsung now that has been just fine.

Also, I'm a proponent of keeping my TV as dumb as possible so that I can swap/upgrade the "smart" part whenever I need to. The companies who build TVs aren't selling those TVs on the quality of their smart software. That said, you almost have to search to avoid it, so I'm not sure you actually end up paying too much of a premium for a basic smart TV.
    The 48 inch Vizio I found is "dumb." That's the leading favorite at this point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If you watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Youtube, go 4K and you won't regret it.

I've got a 49" LG 4K and it's glorious.

Right now you can get a 55" TCL Roku 4K HDR TV for $449. You may have to wait 2-4 weeks to get it, though - https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55...eywords=tcl+4K

Reviews are strong and it'll have the apps built in for 4K viewing (Netflix in 4K does require a small upgrade in your service to get the 4K content - I believe it's $11.99 a month). Amazon Prime Video includes 4K with the normal price.

The one drawback of these specific Roku TV's is that if you don't have it hooked up to a cable/satettite service and use an antenna. The remote does not have numbers on it, so you can't put in 9.1 or whatever. You will either need to use the up-down buttons or possible use your phone as a remote through the wifi to get the numbers as a remote if you want to do that instead of going through 32 channels you pick up with your antenna - IF that is how you're going to use the tv. Obviously if you're hooking cable/satellite up to it, that has it's own remote and isn't an issue at all.

I've almost pulled the trigger on this tv a few times. Including last week when it was at an insane $399 for one day. Already regretting that decision (I would have swapped it out with my current TV, which I would have then used as a monitor for my computer even if it would be a tad overkill at 49").

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2017)

I have a TCL Roku TV in my workout area. I am perfectly happy with it, it isn't really big because it hangs on the wall and I mostly use it for streaming workout video's. I do have it hooked up to a cable box, but haven't really used that aspect of it. I will reiterate that you probably need to have cable run to it, because the remote is a Roku remote.

I have a Samsung Smart TV that I am happy with. I have had it for probably 4 years now. The Smart aspect of it is junk though, I have used both a roku as well as Amazon Firestick with it and they are much better. It probably will be replaced in the near future because I need one downstairs.

One thing I have found with the TCL is that the sound quality isn't great. Granted the only time I have been really disappointed was when I was using a treadmill, but I bought a soundbar for the TV but have yet to put it to use, hopefully I will get it functional this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If you watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Youtube, go 4K and you won't regret it.

I've got a 49" LG 4K and it's glorious.

Right now you can get a 55" TCL Roku 4K HDR TV for $449. You may have to wait 2-4 weeks to get it, though - https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55...eywords=tcl+4K

Reviews are strong and it'll have the apps built in for 4K viewing (Netflix in 4K does require a small upgrade in your service to get the 4K content - I believe it's $11.99 a month). Amazon Prime Video includes 4K with the normal price.

The one drawback of these specific Roku TV's is that if you don't have it hooked up to a cable/satettite service and use an antenna. The remote does not have numbers on it, so you can't put in 9.1 or whatever. You will either need to use the up-down buttons or possible use your phone as a remote through the wifi to get the numbers as a remote if you want to do that instead of going through 32 channels you pick up with your antenna - IF that is how you're going to use the tv. Obviously if you're hooking cable/satellite up to it, that has it's own remote and isn't an issue at all.

I've almost pulled the trigger on this tv a few times. Including last week when it was at an insane $399 for one day. Already regretting that decision (I would have swapped it out with my current TV, which I would have then used as a monitor for my computer even if it would be a tad overkill at 49").
    For this situation i recommend Tablo. Roku has a Tblo app, so you can change channels and it has a guide. You do not have to change inputs and every TV that has the tablo app, regardless of platform, Roku, Fire et al, they all get the tablo.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I have two Vizios. One is about 9 years old and the other we got at New Year's. We have been really pleased with both.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-22-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    For this situation i recommend Tablo. Roku has a Tblo app, so you can change channels and it has a guide. You do not have to change inputs and every TV that has the tablo app, regardless of platform, Roku, Fire et al, they all get the tablo.
    Eh.... I don't know that I'm spending $200 for a slightly better remote. You can probably buy a universal remote that programs to a TCL tv. I know that the tablo gives you all kinds of different options, for sure - but if we're just worried about the remote and not the DVR capabilities, I'm not sure it's worth it for anyone.

Don't skimp on your TV brand. Go Samsung (or Sony, if you can find a deal). Speaking of deals...

Here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=5762002

Open box: Certified is $510.99 and Open box: Excellent is $494.99; both with free shipping.

If not, check your local Sam's Club clearance section. They do crazy things sometimes with their TV clearances and you can negotiate (yeah, really) if you can get ahold of a manager who only cares about moving the SKU.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Don't skimp on your TV brand. Go Samsung (or Sony, if you can find a deal). Speaking of deals...

Here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=5762002

Open box: Certified is $510.99 and Open box: Excellent is $494.99; both with free shipping.

If not, check your local Sam's Club clearance section. They do crazy things sometimes with their TV clearances and you can negotiate (yeah, really) if you can get ahold of a manager who only cares about moving the SKU.
    Yeah, I have a Samsung currently and it's easily the best tv I have ever owned. Picture quality, which is definitely most important quality for me, is just fantastic.

I'm getting the new TV Sunday, I'm leaning either Samsung or Vizio. If there is a great deal on a large Vizio and no deals on a Samsung I may pull the trigger. If it's close I will go Samsung.

I take the best tv I've ever owned comment back. Back at the height of Nintendo 64 my family had a 36 inch RCA tube TV. Which was the biggest tube they made at the time. Friggin loved that tv. I swear that TV was made for mid to late 90s console gaming. Absolutely perfect for Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, Bomberman 64, Mario Party, Golf, and Tennis.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-22-2017 at 09:34 PM.

I have a 55" Vizio. Had it for 4 or 5 years I guess. I love it. I agree with the idea of getting a Roku (or Fire TV) rather than a smart TV. Mine is smart. Never use it. Have Roku on it, use it a lot. I'd ensure that the picture looks good when you compare it side by side. So I'd be inclined to buy from Best Buy/Walmart/Costco, etc. I'd be inclined to check refresh rates and go 240 rather than 120. And me personally..... I can never have enough HDMI inputs. Mine has 4.

I have a Tablo (4 tuner version) that I use mostly as an antenna backup but I like it a lot. So if you are cutting the cord and want to record network stuff I vouch for it.

I'd probably go 4K also. If you really think this is a stopgap TV for 3 years maybe I wouldn't sweat it, but the next step up from 4K is 4K HDR and there are 2 different HDR stanadards. I remember reading that one brand handles both standards.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

LG OLED's are by and far the best picture available, and they've been the best available for about 3 years now. In fact it wasn't until recently that other brands began selling OLED tv's, and they won't tell you this but they are actually buying the OLED tech from LG and sticking it in their tv's because they can't compete with it in house.

But this technology is way out of your price range.

Unless you are watching Blue Ray and/or have 4K satellite package there is no reason to buy a 4K tv either, unless you plan to get either/or in the next 3 years. There is very little broadcast in 4K. 1080 Full HD is all you need.

With a dozen members of my family it seems as though someone in the fam is buying a new tv nearly every year, so I've seen the gambit.

If you like Best Buy and aren't opposed to buying out of box, then that would be my first destination. Often times their best deals are not advertised, and you can usually get more knocked off if you're willing to negotiate with a manager.

That being said, from my experience most entry level tv's (those under 500$) are fairly equal. And a store brand like Best Buy's Insignia might meet your demands quite well rather than pay a 25% premium on a name brand like Sony.

Buy an Amazon Fire Stick, go to youtube and download the Kodi app (and then the Covenant add-on) to it and watch any and all movies/tv for free.

P.S. GoldenEye N64 in the mid/late 90's was the s h i t!

Turn Off Ads?