Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9-23-17 Saturday - Reds hosting the Beaneaters of Boston

Re: 9-23-17 Saturday - Reds hosting the Beaneaters of Boston

Amir Garrett started off well in the 7th with a strikeout and groundout but then walk, walk, RBI single, though Duvall once again throws out a baserunner to end the inning.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Amir Garrett started off well in the 7th with a strikeout and groundout but then walk, walk, RBI single, though Duvall once again throws out a baserunner to end the inning.
    I thought Garrett looked more solid in his delivery today. He needs to begin next season at AAA, as does Cody Reed.

4. Likes:

Banshee (09-23-2017),mth123 (09-23-2017)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I thought Garrett looked more solid in his delivery today. He needs to begin next season at AAA, as does Cody Reed.
    At this point I trust Reed to turn the corner more than I do Garrett.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    At this point I trust Reed to turn the corner more than I do Garrett.
    I think the opposite. But neither is a major league pitcher right now.

The first question Reds need to ask about every member of next year’s pitching staff, starter or reliever - is this guy a major league pitcher?

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-23-2017)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The first question Reds need to ask about every member of next year’s pitching staff, starter or reliever - is this guy a major league pitcher?
    But starter or reliever? These two guys have been starters in the minors but are now being used in relief.

Can't some of the issues be attributable to that switch? And which role do you think suits each best?
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Weird, pretty sure the Red Sox manager didn't want the Red Sox to score.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I guess I look at these prospects and wonder if they will be major league pitchers. Young pithing is mostly up and down but with a couple of exceptions, it's been down. I hope I'm wrong, but getting a couple of starters like Kc says, might be the ticket.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pretty lifeless effort from the home team today, shut out. Thought Stephenson looked pretty good despite the four total runs allowed.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Pretty lifeless effort from the home team today, shut out. Thought Stephenson looked pretty good despite the four total runs allowed.
    Today's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Bronson Arroyo, because...well, just because.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2017),Roy Tucker (09-23-2017),Tom Servo (09-23-2017)

Reds received more walks than they had hits. These are the type of teams the Reds need to be competitive with to really show they can contend. They are definitely a ways away from that. Overmatched by Boston completely.

On pace for 69-93.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    But with that question the eternal conundrum, starter or reliever? These two guys have been starters in the minors but are now being used in relief.

Can't some of the issues be attributable to that switch? And which role do you think suits each best?
    I don’t attribute their problems to switching from starter to relief. Reed has had the walk problem both roles. Garrett is only relieving now, has been a starter all season.

I think Garrett will be a starter. He’s been injured, his hip. He needs to be fully healed and get back on track.

Reed? Can’t seem to lick the walks. Not much progress, at least visibly, this year. I’d be inclined to let him relieve next year - get better in shorter outings.

Both should begin at AAA IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-23-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?