Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson.

I’m 300 pages in and not even 1/3 through the book lol.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Destiny of the Republic", by Candice Millard ("River of Doubt")

Account of James Garfield's rise from poverty to Presidency, along with the account of his assassination and legacy

Edgar Award winner for best fact crime
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

marcshoe (07-22-2020)

Currently reading Ball Four by Jim Bouton. This book is fantastic! Not sure why I waited so long to read it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-11-2020),RFS62 (08-14-2020),Roy Tucker (07-14-2020)

The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel

A cautionary tale for strivers.

8. Likes:

Betterread (07-11-2020)

Over the weekend, I purchased John Oates (Hall and Oates) book Change of Seasons. Has anyone read it? Just wondering if worth the read. Thanks,
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

New Dresden Files book out today, the first in a very long time, with another scheduled before the end of the year.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

God help me, I'm tackling Proust. Swann's Way. But I might as well do it now while I'm sitting at home.

I recently read Huckleberry Finn and White Fang. Three cheers for late 19th/early 20th century American novelists. Short chapters, action-packed, good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    "Destiny of the Republic", by Candice Millard ("River of Doubt")

Account of James Garfield's rise from poverty to Presidency, along with the account of his assassination and legacy

Edgar Award winner for best fact crime
    Fantastic book. I'd been interested in Garfield, who had anti-corruption potential, for a long time, and this book made me look at Chester A. Arthur differently. I'd like to read River of Doubt, but I feel I've read so much about TR lately that if I keep it up, I'll become a fan. I still see him as too full of himself, but I'm beginning to admire his intellect more than I thought.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Fantastic book. I'd been interested in Garfield, who had anti-corruption potential, for a long time, and this book made me look at Chester A. Arthur differently. I'd like to read River of Doubt, but I feel I've read so much about TR lately that if I keep it up, I'll become a fan. I still see him as too full of himself, but I'm beginning to admire his intellect more than I thought.
    Millard writes well.

Just got rewatching "The Roosevelts" (from American Experience?). The respect for T.R. goes up 10-fold after watching that. They go over the day that he gets the news that his daughter is born, but there's complications. It takes him 12 hours to get from Albany to New York. In that time, his wife passed away. Later in the night at 3:00 a.m., his mother passed away.

He could not have accomplished all that he did for everyone in the world had he not been confident in himself. Sometimes that came as a personal indulgence, but 99% of the time it was at personal sacrifice for the good of others. His indulgencies were remembered because everything he did was in grandiose style. That's how he got done what he got done because he made many a powerful enemy in politics and business, trying to right the wrongs that were going on in his times, so naturally, their immense power allowed them to control the media and try to turn anything he did into negative images. That brainwashing is still reverberating itself to everyone today. It's almost impossible to undo what is written about repeatedly in the media, where truth never has anything to do with it. TR cared so much about the little guy that there was never a person he ever met that he didn't make it a point to remember their name, not because he was trying to win a vote, but because he felt it was the greatest way to show a sign of respect. Countless people tell about having seen him 20 years apart after having only met him once and he remembered their name.

As far as Garfield, he would have been a Top-5 President if not for the ignorance and arrogance of the American Medical Society (as you know since you read the book).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-23-2020 at 01:04 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-27-2020),marcshoe (08-04-2020),Roy Tucker (07-30-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Trevor Noah's memoir was a great read. Don't expect much comedy though—it's mostly about growing up a mixed-race child in apartheid South Africa.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Just finished George Packer's Richard Holbrooke biogarphy, "Our Man." Didn't do a lot for me, and I generally like Packer a lot.

Back the second volume of Karl Ove Knausgaard's "My Struggle." Really enjoyed the first, and so far so good on the second.

I just stated Chaos about the Manson family murders. Wow. Pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman.

The novel focuses on 29-year-old Eleanor Oliphant, a social misfit with a traumatic past who becomes enamored of a singer, whom she believes she is destined to be with. The book deals with themes of isolation and loneliness, and depicts Eleanor's transformation journey towards a fuller understanding of self and life.
    Pretty good read. Being in IT, I encounter a lot of these kind of people. Plus I was probably like that in my early 20’s.
    If you want a similar, but in my opinion even funnier, light read, try “The Rosie Project” by Graham Simison.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Just picked up River of Doubt. I'm also reading The Darkest Part of the Woods by Ramsey Campbell as well as living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I just stated Chaos about the Manson family murders. Wow. Pretty incredible.
    So Manson and the Family kept getting unbelievable leniency.

The idea is that as that the CIA (operation Chaos) was into Helter Skelter as long as it meant the antiwar hippie left was anti-Black Panther left.

Gotta tell ya'. It's pretty compelling.

Turn Off Ads?