Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Thanks to some power outages, I read a lot this past week. The best thing I read was Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith. Absolutely loved it.

I had read The Talented Mr. Ripley and maybe a few stories by Highsmith. Now I'm looking to read some more by her.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (02-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Becoming an adult is probably the dumbest thing you could ever do.

I've started the recent bio of James Monroe by Tim McGrath. I've looked for a good biography of Monroe for some time, but the only one I've run into is by Harlow Giles Unger, and after reading his uncritical Lafayette bio, I passed (particularly since reviews mentioned the same issue in this one). I've been interested in Monroe's presidency, particularly how he got around what was considered a constitutional issue and found a way for the Federal government to pay for infrastructure and the Missouri Compromise. The bio's well-reviewed and is interesting so far, although it's still early. The account of The Battle of Trenton was particularly good. I'm also anticipating McGrath's take on Monroe's role in revealing Hamilton's affair with Maria Reynolds.
    And no birds sing - Keats

The ditch is nearer - Lowell

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-21-2021)

I'm nearly done with The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend

It's quite a book. Really remarkable.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (02-25-2021)

Ever since the pandemic started I've been reading more books about 19th century base ball. McFarland had a sale so I bought a few books and one thing has led to another. I've mainly been focusing on the 1890 season when several players broke off to create a league of their own. The main books I've read have been: Labor and Capital in 19th Century Baseball by Robert Gelzheiser, The New York Giants Base Ball Club: The Growth of a Team and a Sport, 1870 to 1900 by James Hardy, Jr., Baseball 1845-1881 by Preston Orem, Fifty-Nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball, and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn, (it was really 60), Baseball in 1889: Players vs. Owners by Daniel Pearson, Touching Base: Professional Baseball and American Culture in the Progressive Era by Steven Riess and Touching Base: Professional Baseball and American Culture in the Progressive Era by Robert Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2021)

Turn Off Ads?