Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Is This Anything?

Jerry Seinfeld

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Eric Foner's Recconstruction.
    I just finished that book. Very tedious to read but Foner knows his stuff.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

marcshoe (11-13-2020)

Stranger in a strange land
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

6. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-08-2020)

An 1885 copy of Daniel Deronda from a George Eliot set that was my Uncle Ed's.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-18-2020 at 01:26 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Betterread (11-24-2020)

The Tana French book was excellent, more of a character-driven story than a thriller. My current listen is the new C.J. Tudor, The Other People. I'd read her first book but not her second, but this one is so intriguing (as in I still have no idea what's going on) that I'll probably go back and fill in the second book. My reading has been bouncing between a few short story collections.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

...not enough.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Boston Red (11-27-2020)

The Book of Lamps and Banners by Elizabeth Hand

Started Whistling Vivaldi by Claude Steele. Interesting so far. A look at stereotypes and, at this point, how expectations affect behavior/performance.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Finally worked up the resolve to start The Power Broker. Can anybody confirm it's worth it?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Any other fans of Swedish author Fredrik Backman here? So far, I've read:

A Man Called Ove
    Beartown
    Us Against You (sequel to Beartown)
    The Deal of a Lifetime: A Novella

And I just finished Anxious People. Loved every single one of those books.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-08-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I grew up in the sticks, so books were my gateway to a larger world when I was a kid. I read some oddball thinks in my youth. Somehow today, out of the blue, a name popped into my head that I have not thought about in years. Chip Hilton.

There has to be some folks on here that remember the Chip Hilton series of books. I suspect these would be a terrible read at 50 years old in 2020, but I seem to recall them being decent enough to read a fair amount of them at 10 years old in 1980-ish. I was born in 1970 so I would have read these in the last 70's/early 80's and I recognized them *at that time* as throwback so these must have been written in the 50's. I recall collecting these books from various places so I know I read more than a few of them.

Chip was the clean-cut, boy next door, leader and talented sports star. I seemed to recall he may have had a younger brother? and a buddy that always drove a "jalopy". Chip could always be counted on to do the right thing. My recollection was that every book put him in a bind and he had to work out of it and figure out how to win the game/championship at the same time. Somehow he always did.

Anybody remember these?

GL
    I actually collect Kids books, although generally from the 1920-1950 era.

But I have the whole set of Chip Hilton books, as I had most from my youth. I even have the Fiery Fullback, his 2002 book that was published well after his death.

I have re-read all of them. As I generally do with all of my collection. Easy reads for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2020),Roy Tucker (12-08-2020)

The Strength of the Wolf: The Secret History of America's War on Drugs

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

A Man Called Ove
    Beartown

I read a Man Called Ove and liked it. I’ll have to look up those other books.

Just finished Sniper’s Honor by Stephen Hunter. Another Bob Lee Swagger story. Well-told story about a WWII era Russian woman sniper. Good book of this genre.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

marcshoe (12-09-2020),RichRed (12-10-2020)

Vivaldi's good, but could have been a journal article. The author repeats similar information over and over. I've put it aside about halfway through, but I'll get back to it because it's relevant to what I'm doing. Meanwhile, I've started reading Lovecraft Country, because I plan to pick HBO back up soon and don't want to give in to the temptation of watching it first. Interesting, well-written beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

A Man Called Ove
    Beartown

I just finished Beartown and read A Man Called Ove a few years ago. I enjoyed both and also enjoyed the A Man Called Ove movie, which is in Swedish. I look forward to reading the Beartown sequel next.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

25. Likes:

RichRed (12-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?