Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Talk about what you are currently or have read that would interest others.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Redszone.

Sometimes it's infuriating, but sometimes it's great. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll pull your hair out. But it will suck you in and hold on tight, gripping your attention more than anything in your life at times.

Four out of five stars.

3. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-06-2017),Razor Shines (10-09-2017)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Redszone.

Sometimes it's infuriating, but sometimes it's great. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll pull your hair out. But it will suck you in and hold on tight, gripping your attention more than anything in your life at times.

Four out of five stars.
    Is it better than Cats?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Is it better than Cats?
    Literally everything is better than cats, who are the devil in feline form.

6. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-31-2017),Dom Heffner (10-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Literally everything is better than cats, who are the devil in feline form.
    DevilAttachment 12877!!

Man from the Train by Bill James is pretty good if you like true crime investigation... warning lots of smashed skulls

As a doc student (as of last Saturday a doc candidate) and a GA, I I don't have time to sub much anymore, but I'm taking a trip at the end of the month and need money. Thus I answered the 5:30 call this morning to take an English class at the career center. I'm glad I did.

The lesson left was Lovecraft's From Beyond. This is absolutely my wheelhouse, and I just finished reading it out loud to my first class. It went well; they actually listened. I love doing dramatic readings.

Otherwise, I've started on my third volume of Robert Aickman's weird stories, The Wine Dark Sea, or something like that, and I have the new book Stephen King wrote with his son Owen cued up on Audible. On deck: Chernow's Grant bio.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

3rd book of the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.

on a side note, those that know of Butcher's Dresden series, he has a short story compilation coming out soon in which one story is Dresden lifting the curse of the goat.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (10-06-2017)

^ That's the boss!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"The End of Alzheimer's" by Dale Bredesen. (copyright 2017)

The solution has always been here,...just pure common sense. If it isn't natural and fresh, don't put it in your body.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-10-2017 at 03:17 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Listening to Richard Matheson's Hell House, which Audible had as a daily deal last week. I hadn't realized before that the main (dead) bad guy seems to be closely based on Aleister Crowley.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Hillbilly Elegy...

Considering its written by someone from Middletown, and revolves around the area quite a bit, as well as many other areas that would be considered "Reds Country", I'm sure its been mentioned on here. My wife is from Monroe, so she read it first, but I've picked it up; about half way thru and its an interesting observation on one man's life, his community and how the migration from the "hills of Appalachia" to the factory towns of the Midwest has affected the people that moved, the people left behind and both communities. Apparently its being made into a movie, I have trouble seeing how the movie would "work", but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

16. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Hillbilly Elegy...

Considering its written by someone from Middletown, and revolves around the area quite a bit, as well as many other areas that would be considered "Reds Country", I'm sure its been mentioned on here. My wife is from Monroe, so she read it first, but I've picked it up; about half way thru and its an interesting observation on one man's life, his community and how the migration from the "hills of Appalachia" to the factory towns of the Midwest has affected the people that moved, the people left behind and both communities. Apparently its being made into a movie, I have trouble seeing how the movie would "work", but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.
    This book is on my wait-list at the library.

Funny you should mention how it relates to you, my Grandma moved up to Ohio from Appalachia without finishing high school. She moved up with her older sister who was working in Cincinnati at the time. She married my grandpa and ended up moving to Mason and living up there for 70+ years. He was a GE engineer until he retired so he didn't exactly move to a factory town, but Mason at the time was where a lot of GE employees lived.

The story of your grandma is one that he hits home in the book; how the factories of the midwest would incentives families to move up together by paying them higher wages if they came up in groups. Your grandma's story sounds like it takes a turn that his life (and his grandparents) life didn't take due to the relationship and marriage to your grandfather, it would be interesting to hear her sister's "story" and how it compares/contrasts that of your grandmother's experience.

Finished up "Hillbilly Elegy" over the weekend. I first mentioned that I had trouble seeing how the movie would "work" however, after finishing the last 100+ pages since I typed that, I can now see how it can be done. He did an excellent job of tying all the stories from his youth into his "adult" life over the last couple of chapters and how his roots still affect his thinking and emotions as an Adult. I don't have ties to the Appalachians, but if you do, I think it would make an excellent read. I'd be interested to hear how others with similar roots have been affected. Do they have similar experiences, or are they significantly different? How closely does the story of his family match the stories from others in the area, a point that he tries to convince.

Turn Off Ads?