Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Thanks to some power outages, I read a lot this past week. The best thing I read was Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith. Absolutely loved it.

I had read The Talented Mr. Ripley and maybe a few stories by Highsmith. Now I'm looking to read some more by her.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (02-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I've started the recent bio of James Monroe by Tim McGrath. I've looked for a good biography of Monroe for some time, but the only one I've run into is by Harlow Giles Unger, and after reading his uncritical Lafayette bio, I passed (particularly since reviews mentioned the same issue in this one). I've been interested in Monroe's presidency, particularly how he got around what was considered a constitutional issue and found a way for the Federal government to pay for infrastructure and the Missouri Compromise. The bio's well-reviewed and is interesting so far, although it's still early. The account of The Battle of Trenton was particularly good. I'm also anticipating McGrath's take on Monroe's role in revealing Hamilton's affair with Maria Reynolds.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-21-2021)

I'm nearly done with The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend

It's quite a book. Really remarkable.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (02-25-2021)

Ever since the pandemic started I've been reading more books about 19th century base ball. McFarland had a sale so I bought a few books and one thing has led to another. I've mainly been focusing on the 1890 season when several players broke off to create a league of their own. The main books I've read have been: Labor and Capital in 19th Century Baseball by Robert Gelzheiser, The New York Giants Base Ball Club: The Growth of a Team and a Sport, 1870 to 1900 by James Hardy, Jr., Baseball 1845-1881 by Preston Orem, Fifty-Nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball, and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn, (it was really 60), Baseball in 1889: Players vs. Owners by Daniel Pearson, Touching Base: Professional Baseball and American Culture in the Progressive Era by Steven Riess and Touching Base: Professional Baseball and American Culture in the Progressive Era by Robert Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2021),goreds2 (10-17-2021),marcshoe (12-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Fantastic book. I'd been interested in Garfield, who had anti-corruption potential, for a long time, and this book made me look at Chester A. Arthur differently. I'd like to read River of Doubt, but I feel I've read so much about TR lately that if I keep it up, I'll become a fan. I still see him as too full of himself, but I'm beginning to admire his intellect more than I thought.
    I'm currently reading this book. It is really good! I'm up to the point when Garfield was shot. You really do get the feeling that Garfield would have been one of the great Presidents if he had lived. He was very smart and forward thinking. Also liked how he stood up to Conkling in his short time as President. Also left you wondering why they thought so little of leaving a President so unprotected. You would have thought people would have learned from Lincoln's assassination. Guiteau was truly delusional and demented. In todays world with all of the letters he had sent to the White House he would have never had the chance to kill Garfield as he would have been arrested many months before.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

marcshoe (05-28-2021)

Read “American Dirt” by Jeanine Cummins. A harrowing tale. Evidently it’s also controversial because of cultural appropriation but I thought it was a well-told story.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Also read “The Four Winds” by Kristin Hannah. Another harrowing tale only instead of migrants escaping drug-riddled Mexico, it’s a family escaping the ‘30’s Dust Bowl only to find California not very welcoming.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-07-2021)

Just started Split Season. It's about the 1981 strike ridden season of 1981. It seems very good so far. Lots names early on I just as soon have forgotten about like Ray Grebey, Donald Fehr, Bowie Kuhn etc.... I remember it being just a lousy season because of the split format and the Reds being left out of the playoffs despite having the best record in baseball.

Just finished reading The Unexpected President by Scott Greenberger. It was about Chester Arthur who was only elected to one political position in his life and that was Vice President. He was an interesting person in that he was completely within the New York political machine and under Roscoe Conkling. But by the time he fell into the Presidency he went away from them and made his own way. I couldn't help but admire him by not going along party lines and doing what he thought was best for the country. Also some very interesting letters written to him by Julia Sand. It sounded as though he took her advice on things and eventually paid her a visit. The book was shorter than it should have been but not terrible either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Harvest Home by Tom Tryon. This book was an influence on Stephen King. I remember the two-part TV movie from the seventies, as well as the movie based on Tryon's The Other. I'm a third of the way through, and Tryon was a fantastic writer. Compelling prose.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm currently on Jeff Shaara's third book in his World War 2 trilogy, No Less Than Victory. The first two were quite good and this one is decent so far, but I'm only a couple chapters into it. I'm also narrating a James Monroe biography that is so poorly written I'm not going to even recommend it here. The dude's paying me well enough for the narration, but I can't wait to finish it. The guy needs a serious editor.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I just finished Middlesex for the first time, and it was outstanding.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

19. Likes:

BillDoran (11-04-2021),Roy Tucker (11-04-2021)

Just finished “The Lincoln Highway” by Amor Towles. It wasn’t the book I thought it was going to be when I started it. I’m trying to figure out if I liked it or not. I guess maybe since it’s making me think so much, I must have liked it at some level.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (11-04-2021),redsmetz (01-07-2022)

Slow process but I am currently reading Joe Nuxhall: The Old Lefthander & Me
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Just finished “Harry’s Trees” by Jon Cohen. Just a wonderful book and I’m surprised it hasn’t gotten more publicity. Highly recommend.

If you’re a reader in the Cincinnati area, I suggest you become a customer and supporter of the Cincy Book Bus. A very cool concept and a wonderful thing.

https://bookshop.org/shop/cincybookbus
    https://the-book-bus.square.site/about
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 12-23-2021 at 08:00 PM.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Talk about what you are currently or have read that would interest others.
    I'm reading the 2000 Cooperstown HoF Yearbook. That's when Bid McPhee, Sparky Anderson, Tony Perez were inducted and Marty Brennaman received the Ford Frick award.

Interesting read about the Hall and enjoy the pics, stats and bios neatly presented. Was under $10 shipped.

Turn Off Ads?