Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. An interesting story about an architect that falls into designing hiding places for Jews in WWII occupied Paris. It starts out for money but turns into something else.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Over the summer I've slowly been reading The Granta Book of the American Short Story, edited by Richard Ford. It's a mostly great collection of the stories Ford thinks are the best from American authors.

It's in chronological order, which is good because more recent stuff (90s onward) is all new to me.
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 08-31-2020 at 06:33 PM.

4. Likes:

Betterread (08-31-2020),BillDoran (09-01-2020),marcshoe (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Over the summer I've slowly been reading The Granta Book of the American Short Story, edited by Richard Ford. It's a mostly great collection of the stories Ford thinks are the best from American authors.

It's in chronological order, which is good because more recent stuff (90s onward) is all new to me.
    I have been reading Granta magazine since 1991 and have read all the glowing reviews for the original, published in 1992, and volume 2 published in 2007. I have not read them, but they feature great writing. From the stories I have read collected within,
    American Express (James Salter) and a distant episode ( Paul Bowles) are my favorites from Vol.1
    & In peed onk by Lorrie Moore and the half skinned steer by Annie proulx from Vol. 2.
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-31-2020 at 10:59 PM.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (09-01-2020),NebraskaRed (09-01-2020)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    My novel? I never had any aspirations to a novel.
    Go for it. It’s quite a load of fun. Once you get one under your belt, it gets easier.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I have been reading Granta magazine since 1991 and have read all the glowing reviews for the original, published in 1992, and volume 2 published in 2007. I have not read them, but they feature great writing. From the stories I have read collected within,
    American Express (James Salter) and a distant episode ( Paul Bowles) are my favorites from Vol.1
    & In peed onk by Lorrie Moore and the half skinned steer by Annie proulx from Vol. 2.
    The Chicago issue of Granta (summer 2009) was one of my all-time favorite magazine issues. Some really wonderful writing about the capital of the Midwest.

9. Likes:

Betterread (09-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    The Chicago issue of Granta (summer 2009) was one of my all-time favorite magazine issues. Some really wonderful writing about the capital of the Midwest.
    I agree. That was a memorable “theme” issue. I like the spring 2020 issue - membranes - porous and impermeable. Like borders? Relationships? Personalities?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I grew up in the sticks, so books were my gateway to a larger world when I was a kid. I read some oddball thinks in my youth. Somehow today, out of the blue, a name popped into my head that I have not thought about in years. Chip Hilton.

There has to be some folks on here that remember the Chip Hilton series of books. I suspect these would be a terrible read at 50 years old in 2020, but I seem to recall them being decent enough to read a fair amount of them at 10 years old in 1980-ish. I was born in 1970 so I would have read these in the last 70's/early 80's and I recognized them *at that time* as throwback so these must have been written in the 50's. I recall collecting these books from various places so I know I read more than a few of them.

Chip was the clean-cut, boy next door, leader and talented sports star. I seemed to recall he may have had a younger brother? and a buddy that always drove a "jalopy". Chip could always be counted on to do the right thing. My recollection was that every book put him in a bind and he had to work out of it and figure out how to win the game/championship at the same time. Somehow he always did.

Anybody remember these?

GL

12. Likes:

PuffyPig (12-05-2020),RFS62 (09-19-2020),Roy Tucker (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I grew up in the sticks, so books were my gateway to a larger world when I was a kid. I read some oddball thinks in my youth. Somehow today, out of the blue, a name popped into my head that I have not thought about in years. Chip Hilton.

There has to be some folks on here that remember the Chip Hilton series of books. I suspect these would be a terrible read at 50 years old in 2020, but I seem to recall them being decent enough to read a fair amount of them at 10 years old in 1980-ish. I was born in 1970 so I would have read these in the last 70's/early 80's and I recognized them *at that time* as throwback so these must have been written in the 50's. I recall collecting these books from various places so I know I read more than a few of them.

Chip was the clean-cut, boy next door, leader and talented sports star. I seemed to recall he may have had a younger brother? and a buddy that always drove a "jalopy". Chip could always be counted on to do the right thing. My recollection was that every book put him in a bind and he had to work out of it and figure out how to win the game/championship at the same time. Somehow he always did.

Anybody remember these?

GL

Absolutely!!

I had them all. Clair Bee, a college basketball coach and fellow West Virginian, wrote them.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

14. Likes:

gonelong (09-24-2020),marcshoe (09-19-2020)

I'm reading (well listening to) the new Robert Galbraith book, Troubled Blood. Interesting characters and a strange cold case, but man is it long. Also, the book seems to consist almost entirely of people telling each other what happens instead of showing things happening. Didn't he do that in the first book, too? I don't remember.

I'm still reading Ramsey Campbell whenever I get a chance.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Trying to read more black writers. I've had this copy of Kindred by Octavia Butler for longer than I can remember and never read it until now.

Peter Ackroyd’s biography of Blake

Eric Foner's Recconstruction.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Trying to read more black writers. I've had this copy of Kindred by Octavia Butler for longer than I can remember and never read it until now.
    If you haven't started going through Colson Whitehead's books, I'd highly encourage them. He's my current favorite novelist.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

20. Likes:

Betterread (09-30-2020),BillDoran (09-25-2020)

Nm

I was going the audiobook route for Tana French's new book, The Searcher, as I usually do because I enjoy the Irish narration. For the first time, though, the protagonist is American and, although the book's not first person like her others, she has an American narrator, whose voice is so deep I find it difficult to listen to, so I've bought a copy and will actually read it. Somebody should have told her to just go with George Guidall if she wanted an older American male.

Turn Off Ads?