Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Thoughts? Pretty popular book right now. Not sure how to approach. Be happy hear from anyone, Roy or others.
    It certainly was interesting. The casual brutality is what disturbed me and made me glad we have OSHA. It is a story of her living through and then escaping a fundamentalist, survivalist, home-schooled (barely) Mormon home. As in any hugely emotional family split, there is her side and there is their side and the truth lies somewhere between. I believe her telling if the story but it certainly is told from the viewpoint of a survivor. It’s a compelling tale.

The story of her education was more what I wanted to hear more of.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

BillDoran (02-17-2020),WildcatFan (02-18-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Just finished Mike Duncan's The Storm before the Storm about the fall of the Roman Republic. It's a period I had forgotten or misremembered more about than I'd realized. I was reminded of the stories by a post in the politics section, and I'm glad I was. I left feeling there were no good guys and once again wondering how different history would have been if Sulla had executed Julius Caeser, like he wanted. The other lasting impression was that losing that particular republic was no big deal.

edit: don't read anything about current politics in the preceding paragraph. If there's a parallel, I'm not sure what it is yet.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 02-24-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just finished Mike Duncan's The Storm before the Storm about the fall of the Roman Republic. It's a period I had forgotten or misremembered more about than I'd realized. I was reminded of the stories by a post in the politics section, and I'm glad I was. I left feeling there were no good guys and once again wondering how different history would have been if Sulla had executed Julius Caeser, like he wanted. The other lasting impression was that losing that particular republic was no big deal.

edit: don't read anything about current politics in the preceding paragraph. If there's a parallel, I'm not sure what it is yet.
    The bad part of the end of that empire was how many centuries of turmoil existed because of it. As bad as dominating civilizations have been, and they all have and will eventually implode from within, their aftermath is always worse. Culture thrives under dominating rule. Chaos thrives without a dominating rule.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    It’s a young writer’s memoir. If you like the viewpoint or the writing style, then enjoy. I wasn’t compelled by either.
    Reference points - Terry Tempest Williams or Norman McLean - a river runs through it.
    Agreed. I was disappointed. The material is great, but the writing felt super disjointed and just kind of pedestrian. Also to me the great memoirs are able to contextualize or add some broader insight without hitting you over the head with it, and this one didn't even try. I think she may just not be far enough away from it all yet.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

7. Likes:

Betterread (03-01-2020)

Re-reading David Baldacci's "The Camel Club."

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Have you listened to his podcasts? Good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got finished with another read through of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Never gets old.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Have you listened to his podcasts? Good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got finished with another read through of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Never gets old.
    I did years ago. It may be time to dive back in. I found out about this book on a Dan Carlin extra podcast from 2017. I listened to it, because I'm doing a final (yeah, right) edit on my dissertation and don't have reading time yet. Very soon.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just finished Ann Patchett’s “The Dutch House”.

Not quite “Bel Canto” but a well-told and rich story. Bought the book at Patchett’s book store in Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just finished Ann Patchett’s “The Dutch House”.

Not quite “Bel Canto” but a well-told and rich story. Bought the book at Patchett’s book store in Nashville.
    What's it about?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I've read pretty much all of Wendell Berry's essay books, but just finished my first novel of his, "Jayber Crow." It was very good for my soul. If anyone needs to slow down in this volatile world, I'd take a trip to Port William.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

BillDoran (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    What's it about?
    From Amazon.

At the end of the Second World War, Cyril Conroy combines luck and a single canny investment to begin an enormous real estate empire, propelling his family from poverty to enormous wealth. His first order of business is to buy the Dutch House, a lavish estate in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia. Meant as a surprise for his wife, the house sets in motion the undoing of everyone he loves.

The story is told by Cyril’s son Danny, as he and his older sister, the brilliantly acerbic and self-assured Maeve, are exiled from the house where they grew up by their stepmother. The two wealthy siblings are thrown back into the poverty their parents had escaped from and find that all they have to count on is one another. It is this unshakeable bond between them that both saves their lives and thwarts their futures.

Set over the course of five decades, The Dutch House is a dark fairy tale about two smart people who cannot overcome their past. Despite every outward sign of success, Danny and Maeve are only truly comfortable when they’re together. Throughout their lives they return to the well-worn story of what they’ve lost with humor and rage. But when at last they’re forced to confront the people who left them behind, the relationship between an indulged brother and his ever-protective sister is finally tested.

16. Likes:

North (02-28-2020)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I did years ago. It may be time to dive back in. I found out about this book on a Dan Carlin extra podcast from 2017. I listened to it, because I'm doing a final (yeah, right) edit on my dissertation and don't have reading time yet. Very soon.
    Duncan did his history of Rome podcast, which is quite good, and then he's currently toward the end of one called Revolutions, which bounces around different revolutions. There are several episodes on the American Revolution, French, Haiti, etc. It's excellent as well. He's currently on the Russian revolution.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

18. Likes:

marcshoe (02-28-2020)

https://ca.reuters.com/article/enter.../idCAKBN20R36Q

"Mantel, 67, is the only woman and the only Briton to have won the prestigious award (Booker) twice. The final installment picks up where the previous one left off, just after the beheading of Henry’s second wife, Anne Boleyn, a drama in which Cromwell played a central part. "The Mirror & the Light" charts Cromwell’s further consolidation of power following Anne’s death, his religious reforms that cause turmoil across the land, and his eventual downfall. At the end of the book, his own head is on the executioner’s block."
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-05-2020 at 03:50 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Astral Weeks: A Secret History of 1968. It's kind of about Van Morrison, kind of about the bonkers Boston music (and more) scene of the late 1960. Aside from Astral Weeks being one of the greatest records ever made, I'd never heard of this corner of rock history—really fascinating.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Just finished Jeff Sharlet's "This Brilliant Darkness." Getting ready to start John Higgs's "The KLF," which I've been looking forward to reading for a while.

Gotta say, one upside of the global pandemic, extra time for reading.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-17-2020 at 01:54 PM.

22. Likes:

WildcatFan (03-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?