Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Robust prose so far; it seems Morris is matching his style to the man. He's just sent Teedy to Harvard, and it's a long book. To me, TR's a mixed bag with some pretty serious negatives. Morris isn't shying away from his faults, going as far as relating his childhood to his later troublesome actions.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (03-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm close to finishing up World War Z by Max Brooks. I have to say, this is a pretty surreal time to be reading this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella and Football for a Buck by Jeff Pearlman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm close to finishing up World War Z by Max Brooks. I have to say, this is a pretty surreal time to be reading this.
    Just watched the film and enjoyed it. How is the book?

How is Brooks as a writer?

I hadn't realized he was Mel's son, nor that he wrote for SNL, nor that he was a prolific writer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Just watched the film and enjoyed it. How is the book?

How is Brooks as a writer?

I hadn't realized he was Mel's son, nor that he wrote for SNL, nor that he was a prolific writer.
    The film is good. The book is world's better. And reading it right now, you can trick your brain into thinking that it's all happening.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

8. Likes:

BillDoran (03-20-2020),RichRed (03-21-2020)

Having just watched the movie, it was almost a little too close for comfort. Imagine the details bring all that much more close.

If the book is that much better than the film, might have to give the book a read. Thanks.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I just picked up Sharon Kay Penman's latest, but I'm also 14k words into writing one, so reading time has been somewhat limited lately. I'm trying to balance that out a bit more, because there's so much I want to read and I haven't given myself much time to recently.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Robust prose so far; it seems Morris is matching his style to the man. He's just sent Teedy to Harvard, and it's a long book. To me, TR's a mixed bag with some pretty serious negatives. Morris isn't shying away from his faults, going as far as relating his childhood to his later troublesome actions.
    I read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt years ago. I don't remember much about it now other than that I recall liking it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

12. Likes:

marcshoe (03-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The film is good. The book is world's better. And reading it right now, you can trick your brain into thinking that it's all happening.
    I read the book a few years ago, then saw the movie later, and I agree that the book was miles better. I started the book not expecting much but ended up really liking it. I can imagine it would take on an extra element of spookiness to be reading it now.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Reading ”The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek” by Kim Michele Richardson. Interesting read about the blue-skinned people of Appalachian Kentucky and the Kentucky Pack Horse library service of the 1930s.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2020),dfs (03-29-2020),WildcatFan (03-23-2020)

Following up World War Z by starting Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

BillDoran (03-24-2020)

Re-reading The Practical Cogitator, compiled by Charles P. Curtis and Ferris Greenslet.

Finished Higgs's "KLF," which was really good. More of an exercise in epistemology than a traditional biography. KLF or JAMS were certainly an interesting band, Higgs does a nice job really investigating what they were up to and who they were influenced by (including, for me, an introduction to Robert Anton Wilson).

Once I get caught up on magazines, I'm going to read Sherwood Anderson's "Poor White." Published by the admirable Belt, and I like the premise of the story, fiction based around the industrial migration to the Midwest.

"East of Eden" - Steinbeck
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

21. Likes:

dfs (03-31-2020),marcshoe (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    "East of Eden" - Steinbeck
    If you are ever in Salinas, California, I recommend the Steinbeck museum.

23. Likes:

RFS62 (03-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?