Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

In my reading of American history through the line of Presidents I am up to Teddy Roosevelt. I just started Edmond Morris first book of three on him The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. All three books are massive so I will be reading them for a while. I'm sure some of you may have read this trilogy. How did you like them? I have just read the epilogue and it seems to be very good.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

DayGameRedLegs (03-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    In my reading of American history through the line of Presidents I am up to Teddy Roosevelt. I just started Edmond Morris first book of three on him The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. All three books are massive so I will be reading them for a while. I'm sure some of you may have read this trilogy. How did you like them? I have just read the epilogue and it seems to be very good.
    I read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt years ago and I liked it. I haven't read the sequels.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-15-2022)

ive read the girst two, and the third's on tap
    The result being an obsession with TR. I had no idea how i yelligent and complicated he was. I liked the first a little better, but both were very good. The first one was written like an adventure story.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-15-2022),Kingspoint (03-14-2022)

“The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot” by Marianne Cronin. A sweet book about a 17 yr old terminal girl and an 83 yr old lady who led an odd life and their time together. Deceptively light but wise. One of my wife’s book club books. I liked it a lot.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    ive read the girst two, and the third's on tap
    The result being an obsession with TR. I had no idea how i yelligent and complicated he was. I liked the first a little better, but both were very good. The first one was written like an adventure story.
    I finished the first one. It was really good. One of the better biographies I have read on a President. Very detailed. I can't imagine very much was left out. This only went up until the time that he became President. The 2nd book deals with his Presidency. I'll be starting that one soon.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022)

In January, read “Harlem Shuffle” by Colton Whitehead. It’s an entertaining foray into Noir by Whitehead, who captures the Harlem 1970s.
    Also, Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen, a return to form by our Big American Novelist who once again dissects the American Midwestern Family (all caps are not randomly chosen - this is a sweeping opus) also in the 1970s. Almost a soap opera plot filled with sex and religion, it is supposed to be the first of a trilogy.
    Recommended.

Pete Rose: An American Dilemma

Going through it slowly but surely. Seems interesting as I am currently at the part where he is at the Hall of Fame diner with Yogi Berra etc.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

14. Likes:

I'm reading a biography of Elia Kazan by Richard Schickel. So far, there's a lot of interesting info on how much (and how little) American Communists played a role in the entertainment world in the 1930s.

Really, there were just a lot of plays and some movies that attempted to espouse Communist ideas, and almost all of them completely failed at the box office.

16. Likes:

18. Likes:

Betterread (03-08-2022),NebraskaRed (03-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Pete Rose: An American Dilemma

Going through it slowly but surely. Seems interesting as I am currently at the part where he is at the Hall of Fame diner with Yogi Berra etc.
    I read it several years ago. I thought it was a balanced and insightful accounting of Rose's life. Rose was a terrific competitor and is a terribly flawed individual. He is shown some sympathy in the biography, and he comes across as a guy that could be fun to meet and listen to, but he is not excused for his failings either. In the end it is a sad story.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Leonard and Hungry Paul - Ronan Hession

A gentle but wise book about a couple friends in modern day UK. Nice people who are kind, take care of their parents, they like to read and pause and think about things. Highly recommend. A Cincy Book Bus book of the month.

https://cincybookbus.mymustreads.com...nd-Hungry-Paul
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-29-2022)

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke

Damn. Written in 1953. Maybe his masterpiece.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

23. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-01-2022)

"Into the American Woods, negotiators on the Pennsylvania frontier", James Merrell, c. 1999, signed by author in 1999.

Other work by James Merrell, "The Indians New World: Catawbas and Their Neighbors from European Contact through the Era of Removal".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The Victory Season: The End of World War II and the Birth of Baseball's Golden Age - Robert Weintraub

The Guarded Gate: Bigotry, Eugenics and the Law That Kept Two Generations of Jews, Italians, and Other European Immigrants Out of America - Daniel Okrent

The New Thinking Man's Guide to Professional Football - Paul Zimmerman

26. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-02-2022),RFS62 (08-10-2022),Roy Tucker (08-02-2022)

Just finished - Aftermath : Life in the fallout of the third reich, 1945-55 by Harald Jahner
    Starting the 1000 page journey of Churchill: Walking with Destiny by Andrew Roberts for vacation reading.

28. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?