Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I bought a collection of Sinclair Lewis novels at a yard sale a couple months ago and I've been working my way through them. I didn't know anything much him or his novels before this, but I'm becoming a huge fan. Really smart, funny observations of middle-class suburban life.

Babbitt's main character was like a proto-Don Draper.
    Read all of his stuff when I was 15. It was hard to get through back then.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Went to my first Used Library Book Sale since before politicians out West began breaking down the supply chains 2-1/2 years ago.

Picked up some interesting items...

Journals of three people:

Columbus and his voyages,...

J. W. Audubon during his 1849-50 New York to Texas through Mexico and Arizona ending at the Gold Fields of California,...

22-year old James Boswell on his 9-month beginning in London after arriving from Scotland in 1762 (Boswell is a famous English Author, most noted for his biography of Samuel Johnson).

Some classics,...

"So Big", "The Green Years", older copies of "The Pathfinder" and "Robinson Crusoe".

Some History,...

Biography of Ethan Allen, study of Shays's Rebellion, Piracy and the decline of Venice, a 1929 published book by a local on "The Story of Oklahoma".

...and some maps.

I was surprised to find three volumes of the 1909 published 11-volume set of "Messages and Papers of the Presidents". I couldn't remember which volume I was missing as I wasn't prepared to be looking for it. The volumes they had were VII, IX & X (volume 11 is the Index). I just looked right now and it is Volume III that I don't have. I took them, but chose to put them back thinking that it was an earlier volume I was missing. Glad I did. Had I not been, I could go back.

Only had about 45 minutes to look, but I got plenty. It was great to see the turnout, larger than before 2020. I used to volunteer setting up the events because I do love to support Library's, but an added perk to that was being able to see in advance what was available. The "Booksellers and eBay/Amazon slimeballs" were just grabbing books from sections like Lucy packing chocolate pieces into a candy box. No "scanners" are allowed on Friday's, but it doesn't slow them down too much. They should limit how many books one can buy at these things, so the public can have a much greater access to the choices. The best 15% of the books are gone in the first hour of the 4-day event.

The "So Big" version was a 1924 copy, 2nd year of Printing. There was also a nice inscription in it, "To Lester Park, from Zella, Xmas 1927".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-29-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-29-2022)

I hadn't noticed, but "The Green Years" was a First Edition (they're only $6 on ebay). That's cool.

I've asked my Spouse for a 1st Edition of the 2-volume set "Memoirs of U. S. Grant" for Christmas (1885 publishing, I believe). Saw that there were inexpensive versions of decent condition under $100. I could read a lot of books I have online, but I don't like to read online. I love the physical book for dozens of reasons. Part of it is that someone held it in their hands over a Century ago and read it. That means a lot to me.

“Horse” by Geraldine Brooks. Highly highly highly recommend this book. A sweeping tale across time about a horse, art, race, and a legacy of slavery. And the whole of this book is greater than these transcendent parts. Loved it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

“A Constellation of Vital Phenomena” by Anthony Marra. Powerful novel set in Chechnya at the turn of the 21st century. I cried, I’ll admit. Beautiful book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    “A Constellation of Vital Phenomena” by Anthony Marra. Powerful novel set in Chechnya at the turn of the 21st century. I cried, I’ll admit. Beautiful book.
    Read this when it first came out. 2013? Anyhow, loved it and affected me in the same way. I do a lot of reading late at night and this book took me to that time and place while I was sitting in my home in SE Ohio USA. Excellent book.

9. Likes:

Fil3232 (11-02-2022)

Yes, 2014 to be exact I think. I obviously missed it on release but so glad I got around to it finally.

Just finished Paul Tremblay's The Pallbearer's Club. Was it a "memoir" or a novel? Were there real vampires? Did it have a surprise ending? Do I, even at this point, know what it was about?

To the last question, yes. It was about people temporarily named Art Barbara and Mercy Brown (which should be familiar to anyone steeped in American vampire lore). I really enjoy Tremblay's approach to fiction, and I'm probably going to catch up on his short stories next. Still not ready for a pandemic novel, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude, and it became my favorite book ever. If I hadn’t had another library read to get through, I would have started it over immediately. Unbelievable.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-23-2022),NebraskaRed (11-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude, and it became my favorite book ever. If I hadn’t had another library read to get through, I would have started it over immediately. Unbelievable.
    Love that book. I got a collection of his short stories and really enjoyed that, as well.

15. Likes:

WildcatFan (11-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I saw that book on campus in college I'd be a rich man

17. Likes:

Betterread (11-29-2022)

I am almost finished with A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

19. Likes:

Fil3232 (11-28-2022),RFS62 (11-28-2022),Roy Tucker (11-28-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Finished reading The Trees by Percival Everett. It's on the shortlist for the Booker Prize. Highly recommended, and I would encourage folks to not read anything about it before going in. It gets absolutely wild. A fair warning: It's a murder mystery and awfully gory.

I found out about it because it turns out he used to own my house. Small world.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Just finished Underland: A Deep Time Journey by Robert Macfarlane and really enjoyed it. It's nonfiction and about humans relationship with the Earth, particularly caves and concepts of time and space. He covers science, sociology, geology, and does so with some amazing descriptive writing. Well worth the read.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Just read “The Guncle” by Steven Rowley. A semiretired gay TV star suddenly is taking care of his niece and nephew when their mom (and his best friend who is married to his brother) dies. Somewhat frothy but warm hearted and witty. A nice holiday read. I’m sure it will end up a movie or tv series (which is what happens in the book).

Edit: oh, and I learned a new word: throuple
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 12-13-2022 at 12:35 AM.

Turn Off Ads?