Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Two of those on your reading list I have read and are very good. The Andrew Jackson book and Crazy Horse and Custer. The latter is really,really good. That was one that was hard to ut down after getting started.
    I will have check aout that Trail of tears book. I think I would like that a lot too.

I finished reading a biography on George Washington by Thomas Flexner. It was excellent. He wrote a four volume set on Washington's life but later came out with a condensed version which was this one I read. You might want to check that one out if you haven't already.

I'm like you I mainly only read history or biography's. Also like baseball history. You can learn a lot of American history in one of those if it it well written. I am currently reading Root For the Cubs. It's about Charlie Root and the 1929 season. So far it seems really good with a lot of historical happenings from around 1929 included. The only fiction I have read in recent years are the classics. I like Dickens and I think I am going to start Oliver Twist after I am finished with the baseball book I am on now.
    Try to stay away from spoilers.

btw, I have the Boone book sitting in my bathroom right now, but I just haven't had time.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you're a Dickens fan, I can't recommend Bleak House highly enough. It's fantastic.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-18-2017),Roy Tucker (03-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Try to stay away from spoilers.

btw, I have the Boone book sitting in my bathroom right now, but I just haven't had time.
    I read this biography on Boone. It was very good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Boone-...oone+biography
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I will have check aout that Trail of tears book. I think I would like that a lot too.
    It's a very tragic and sad book, but it educated me a lot on the Cherokee people, their culture and society. I have been fascinated for many years with the myriads of native American cultures and societies that encompassed this country from east to west. I do so to educate myself, as well as destroy so many of the stereotypes my generation carried being raised in the 50s/60s era of westerns (Cowboys and Indians). They simply fascinate me, and it is simply tragic, a type of Holocaust IMO, what our government did to these "peoples" in our expansion westward. The Trail of Tears is a perfect example of that horror.

I'm like you I mainly only read history or biography's. Also like baseball history. You can learn a lot of American history in one of those if it it well written.
    I too have a pretty decent "library" of baseball books (as well as a few on the NFL). A couple on my list to read is Robert Creamer's book on Casey Stengel, and Jonathan Eig's "Luckiest Man: Life and Death of Lou Gehrig". I'll get to them (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's a very tragic and sad book, but it educated me a lot on the Cherokee people, their culture and society. I have been fascinated for many years with the myriads of native American cultures and societies that encompassed this country from east to west. I do so to educate myself, as well as destroy so many of the stereotypes my generation carried being raised in the 50s/60s era of westerns (Cowboys and Indians). They simply fascinate me, and it is simply tragic, a type of Holocaust IMO, what our government did to these "peoples" in our expansion westward. The Trail of Tears is a perfect example of that horror.

I too have a pretty decent "library" of baseball books (as well as a few on the NFL). A couple on my list to read is Robert Creamer's book on Casey Stengel, and Jonathan Eig's "Luckiest Man: Life and Death of Lou Gehrig". I'll get to them (LOL)
    Luckiest Man is a great book. It's one of the best biographies I have read about anyone,baseball or otherwise.

My Kindle library is growing. I probably have enough to read for a lifetime on it now. With plenty more on my wishlist.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My Kindle library is growing. I probably have enough to read for a lifetime on it now. With plenty more on my wishlist.
    I have an Azpen tablet that I like, but rarely use (LOL). I have a couple eBooks on it, and prefer using the tablet to read for various reasons ... one being getting old and failing eye sight (LOL). I see versions of eBooks I'd like to have, but they're always "Kindle versions", and I assumed you had to have a Kindle to view them.

I finally did some research and saw where you can download a Kindle app. I did so, and immediately purchased Eckert's The Frontiersmen. Was browsing through their store and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Wow! This tablet is going to get a lot more use! Makes reading a lot more easier, and enjoyable.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-20-2017 at 04:49 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have an Azpen tablet that I like, but rarely use (LOL). I have a couple eBooks on it, and prefer using the tablet to read for various reasons ... one being getting old and failing eye sight (LOL). I see versions of eBooks I'd like to have, but they're always "Kindle versions", and I assumed you had to have a Kindle to view them.

I finally did some research and saw where you can download a Kindle app. I did so, and immediately purchased Eckert's The Frontiersmen. Was browsing through their store and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Wow! This tablet is going to get a lot more use! Makes reading a lot more easier, and enjoyable.
    Yes the Kindle helps a lot on the old eyesight. When I read something not on Kindle I have a lot of trouble now.

Having e-books helps so much on the space too. I have boxes and boxes of books that take up a lot of space. I couldn't imagine having all the e-books I have now in hardcover fashion. I would have to move out of my home if I did.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've actually heard about "The End of Alzheimer's" from my dad who said it was a great read and inspired him to live more naturally. Just picked up "Am I Being Too Subtle" by Sam Zell. It's all about real estate investing which I'm trying to get into.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-27-2017),Kingspoint (03-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "A Gentleman in Moscow" - Amor Towles

Loved loved loved this book. Told with great prose and great warmth, a saga of a Russian count in house arrest in the Hotel Metropol in Moscow over 40+ years. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
    Alright, Roy. I'm buying this one based on this recommendation. I'm 6 audible credits behind so I'm looking for a few ideas.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Listening to The Terror by Dan Simmons, about the fate of the Franklin Expedition.

Reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman when I need a dissertation break.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Just got Crushing It.

Hoping to pick up something from it, but have a feeling it'll just be regurgitated stuff from his online stuff over the last year or so. Which is fine.

I just discovered that The Terror is being made into a series that will air on AMC beginning at the end of March. I hadn't heard. Now if we can get Bradley Cooper's version of Dan Simmons' Hyperion going on SyFy, all will be well.

Just finished Thomas Jefferson-A Life by William Sterne Randall. Very good and long biography of Jefferson. Even though I share a birthday with Jefferson (April 13) I never knew a whole lot about him. The author seemed to focus more on Jefferson's life as a Virginia legislator and then his time he spent in France. I thought he didn't have enough about his days as President and his post presidency days. The book also was written around 1993 before the DNA evidence linked Jefferson,most likely, to Sally Hemmings. Still a very good book on what made up the man and personality of Jefferson.

I also recently read Oliver Twist. I didn't like it as well as David Copperfield which I read about a year ago. Oliver Twist was much darker as it focused on the worst of London at that time. But still a good Dickens read.

I just started reading Shoeless by David Fleitz. It seems like it will be a good read about Joe Jackson and the 1919 Black Sox scandal.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I also recently read Oliver Twist. I didn't like it as well as David Copperfield which I read about a year ago. Oliver Twist was much darker as it focused on the worst of London at that time. But still a good Dickens read.
    I recently re-read Great Expectations and loved it. It's interesting because it has two endings. His first ending is much darker and cynical. His friend convinced him to write a much more optimistic ending (which is not nearly as good as the darker ending).

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I recently re-read Great Expectations and loved it. It's interesting because it has two endings. His first ending is much darker and cynical. His friend convinced him to write a much more optimistic ending (which is not nearly as good as the darker ending).
    That was actually the next Dickens book I was going to read.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?