Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Black Star Renegades - Michael Moreci
    Old Man’s War - John Scalzi
    The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since my last two listens were a bit heavy, I've started Carter & Lovecraft, by Jonathan Howard, if a Lovecraftian fantasy can be considered light. It's shorter, at least.

And physically, I'm reading The Pull of the Earth, a participatory ethnography by Laurie Thorp, in preparation for starting my own participatory ethnography, which will likely involve a middle school book club.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I've started Ready Player One, hoping to get through it before the movie comes out, and I have to ask those who have read it, am I terrible for thinking it is awful thus far? Does it ever turn into anything other than misguided eighties golden-age nostalgia? Should I just go back to telling kids to get off my lawn?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've started Ready Player One, hoping to get through it before the movie comes out, and I have to ask those who have read it, am I terrible for thinking it is awful thus far? Does it ever turn into anything other than misguided eighties golden-age nostalgia? Should I just go back to telling kids to get off my lawn?
    I've tried to read it twice and couldn't get through it (and I'm a sucker for pointless nostalgia)

I just started chapter seven, and I'm sure something will happen soon.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Supreme City: How Jazz Age Manhattan Gave Birth to Modern America by Donald Miller. It's a beast at 700+ pages, but it's a super entertaining overview of everything New York in the '20s, from boxing and baseball to Prohibition to Lindbergh to radio to politics.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That was actually the next Dickens book I was going to read.
    I wish I had Dickens to read again.

Reading “State of Wonder” by Ann Patchett. Interesting and good book.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Walter Lippmann's "Public Opinion." Seemed timely. Interesting read thus far.

I recently finished Roosevelt in the Badlands by Herman Hagedorn. I read somewhere that Roosevelt gave Hagedorn complete access to his diaries to write this book. Hagedorn also talked to many of the people that knew Roosevelt in the Badlands to give an even more insightful commentary on him. TR was an amazing person. It just amazes me all he did in his lifetime. This was no small accomplishment either. By all accounts he threw himself into Cowboy life and was well accepted by all that were around which was no small fete. This was very well written book,which was written in 1921. It is of narrative variety and very interesting to anyone who is interested in that time in American history as well as TR himself. The version of this book was a free edition that Amazon had at one time with no illustrations. I don't think they offer it free any longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Roosevelt-Lan...n+the+badlands

The book I mentioned in an earlier post, Shoeless, was an excellent biography of Joe Jackson. As well as the 1919 Black Sox scandal. Many myths about Jackson and this scandal were refuted in this book.

I am currently reading, Hamilton--A Life by William Randall Stearnes. This is the third book I have read by Stearnes. All of have been excellent and this is no different. I knew nothing about Hamilton other than he was killed in a duel by Aaron Burr. This is a very detailed book and it actually starts out with his duel with Burr and then goes on with his life from his beginnings in the Carribean. I am about half way through it and am very well pleased to this point by it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I gave up on RP1 and started The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. Interesting tone, as if an old folk tale were fleshed out.

I really enjoy it, judging from all the hate it’s getting online that means I’m really dumb or something.

I have played a lot of online games including multiple MMORPGs though, and am a huge fan of 80s culture, so it probably tickles my fancy more than most.

If you don’t like it by page 20-30 you aren’t going to like the rest of the book.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

marcshoe (03-08-2018)

I'll have another go at it later. Sometimes whether I like something depends on the mood I'm in. I hadn't realized that there was a lot of online hate; that makes me want to like it.

I just started chapter seven, and I'm sure something will happen soon.
    So funny that I just saw this post. My wife said a little while ago, "This book is boring. It's chapter 6 and he's still busy world-building." Although she did just say that "stuff is happening now in chapter 8."

For what it's worth, i read it a couple years ago and really enjoyed it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

16. Likes:

marcshoe (03-10-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Okay, so I have true crime addiction.

Had never ever heard of the East Area Rapist or Original Night Stalker.....now known as the Golden State Killer....

And now I'm reading "I'll Be Gone in the Dark..." by Michelle McNamara....

What a twisted, demented dude. I never realized real life could be that scary...Jesus, this guy never got caught and what he did to people is truly terrifying beyond anything I've ever known.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I recently finished Roosevelt in the Badlands by Herman Hagedorn. I read somewhere that Roosevelt gave Hagedorn complete access to his diaries to write this book. Hagedorn also talked to many of the people that knew Roosevelt in the Badlands to give an even more insightful commentary on him. TR was an amazing person. It just amazes me all he did in his lifetime. This was no small accomplishment either. By all accounts he threw himself into Cowboy life and was well accepted by all that were around which was no small fete. This was very well written book,which was written in 1921. It is of narrative variety and very interesting to anyone who is interested in that time in American history as well as TR himself. The version of this book was a free edition that Amazon had at one time with no illustrations. I don't think they offer it free any longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Roosevelt-Lan...n+the+badlands

The book I mentioned in an earlier post, Shoeless, was an excellent biography of Joe Jackson. As well as the 1919 Black Sox scandal. Many myths about Jackson and this scandal were refuted in this book.

I am currently reading, Hamilton--A Life by William Randall Stearnes. This is the third book I have read by Stearnes. All of have been excellent and this is no different. I knew nothing about Hamilton other than he was killed in a duel by Aaron Burr. This is a very detailed book and it actually starts out with his duel with Burr and then goes on with his life from his beginnings in the Carribean. I am about half way through it and am very well pleased to this point by it.
    Hamilton's and Jefferson's discourses are worthy of reading. Hamilton was a genius (literally) on Commerce.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?