Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Anybody read Stephen King's new one, The Outsider? I just finished it, and I'm torn. Fascinating concept and characters with real flaws, but the plot development—especially the final conflict—felt underwhelming.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Anybody read Stephen King's new one, The Outsider? I just finished it, and I'm torn. Fascinating concept and characters with real flaws, but the plot development—especially the final conflict—felt underwhelming.
    I liked it, although listening to it while driving cross-country with no real concept of how long I had been listening, I was confused when the story finished, then kept going. There were some threads I would have liked to have seen developed more, including leads that didn't amount to much, but the return of an unexpected character made it worthwhile for me. Because of this, I liked the second part more than the first.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyrich View Post
    I'm helping out my cousin in high school with her 1984 essay. So, rereading Orwell after eons now!
    Good stuff for High Schoolers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I've been listening to a lot of Steven Kotler lately. Tomorrowland, Stealing Fire, and The Rise of Superman are thought provoking masterpieces.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I am reading a very good book I received at Christmas called Ball,Bat and Bitumen. It is a history of baseball in the coalfields of Kentucky,Virginia and WVA. I grew up in southeastern Kentucky so it is very interesting to me. It is amazing how popular baseball was back in the early to mid 20th century. nearly every coal company or town had a team. It was a big event to go and watch games. Also a lot of future major leaguers came through that area on their way to the big leagues. Johnny Podres was one who had a brilliant season in the early 50's while playing in Hazard, Kentucky. Also very interesting was that the black teams in southern WVA were very very good. It was said they were only a small step down from the Negro Major leagues. But its really sad to see how brief this time was and how these leagues came to an end.

I am also continuing my trek through American history by following the line of Presidents. I am into the non-descript Presidents that fell between Jackson and Lincoln. Its hard to find a good book on some of them. I did read a good one on John Tyler and just finished a good one on Polk. Interesting to note that Polk, since the Civil War, has consistently ranked at 9 or 10 among the greatest Presidents. Of the Presidents just before the Civil War he is easily the best mainly because what he set out to do he was able to accomplish. My next two books in the history chain will be on the Mexican War. I really know virtually nothing about that war except for what I just read in the Polk biography.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-05-2019),mth123 (01-04-2019)

I'm reading "What You Are Getting Wrong about Appalachia" by Elizabeth Catte. It's a short book put out by the estimable Belt Publishing meant as a response to J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy." It's an interesting rejoinder, and Catte is an excellent writer. If you're interested in Appalachia, "Trump Country" or caught Vance Fever, I'd recommend it.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (01-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am reading a very good book I received at Christmas called Ball,Bat and Bitumen. It is a history of baseball in the coalfields of Kentucky,Virginia and WVA. I grew up in southeastern Kentucky so it is very interesting to me. It is amazing how popular baseball was back in the early to mid 20th century. nearly every coal company or town had a team. It was a big event to go and watch games. Also a lot of future major leaguers came through that area on their way to the big leagues. Johnny Podres was one who had a brilliant season in the early 50's while playing in Hazard, Kentucky. Also very interesting was that the black teams in southern WVA were very very good. It was said they were only a small step down from the Negro Major leagues. But its really sad to see how brief this time was and how these leagues came to an end.

I am also continuing my trek through American history by following the line of Presidents. I am into the non-descript Presidents that fell between Jackson and Lincoln. Its hard to find a good book on some of them. I did read a good one on John Tyler and just finished a good one on Polk. Interesting to note that Polk, since the Civil War, has consistently ranked at 9 or 10 among the greatest Presidents. Of the Presidents just before the Civil War he is easily the best mainly because what he set out to do he was able to accomplish. My next two books in the history chain will be on the Mexican War. I really know virtually nothing about that war except for what I just read in the Polk biography.
    This sounds like an intriguing hobby. I just got back into reading a little after years of not really having time. I've been sticking to thriller fiction (John Grisham, James Patterson, Dan Brown) but the President thing sounds a little interesting. Might make sight seeing around the US, which is another hobby I'd like to spend more time on, a little more meaningful. Other than the faces on the money or the ones in my lifetime, I know very little about the US presidents. I'm not sure I could get through a text book style read, but I might try a bio or two and see if it holds my interest.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-04-2019),Kingspoint (01-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This sounds like an intriguing hobby. I just got back into reading a little after years of not really having time. I've been sticking to thriller fiction (John Grisham, James Patterson, Dan Brown) but the President thing sounds a little interesting. Might make sight seeing around the US, which is another hobby I'd like to spend more time on, a little more meaningful. Other than the faces on the money or the ones in my lifetime, I know very little about the US presidents. I'm not sure I could get through a text book style read, but I might try a bio or two and see if it holds my interest.
    Yes reading about the Presidents is very interesting. All have been biographical I have read. You do find out some were better than you may have thought such as Polk and JQ Adams. While others may not have been such as, IMO, Jefferson was not really that great a President. Or a Governor for that matter even though he was a very smart person and a good Secretary of State. I have also tried to read about other significant people in US history and events. Such as the War of 1812 which I knew virtually nothing about. I also read biographies on many of the key people involved in the American Revolution too. Franklin,John Jay,Paul Revere and even Benedict Arnold. You learn a lot and also very enlightened on how things are so much different now, good and bad.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-05-2019)

It is amazing how popular baseball was back in the early to mid 20th century. nearly every coal company or town had a team. It was a big event to go and watch games. Also a lot of future major leaguers came through that area on their way to the big leagues. Johnny Podres was one who had a brilliant season in the early 50's while playing in Hazard, Kentucky. Also very interesting was that the black teams in southern WVA were very very good. It was said they were only a small step down from the Negro Major leagues. But its really sad to see how brief this time was and how these leagues came to an end.
    I love this part of Americana! It was this way in every County in all 47/48 states. The more you dig, the more grest stories you find.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Yes reading about the Presidents is very interesting. All have been biographical I have read. You do find out some were better than you may have thought such as Polk and JQ Adams. While others may not have been such as, IMO, Jefferson was not really that great a President. Or a Governor for that matter even though he was a very smart person and a good Secretary of State. I have also tried to read about other significant people in US history and events. Such as the War of 1812 which I knew virtually nothing about. I also read biographies on many of the key people involved in the American Revolution too. Franklin,John Jay,Paul Revere and even Benedict Arnold. You learn a lot and also very enlightened on how things are so much different now, good and bad.
    If you want to add a supplement to this eventually, reading histories and analyses of Supreme Court decisions along with reading the actual important documents effecting the United States since 1600 will not only fill in a lot of gaps, but is as educational of a study as one can get. Puts all of the modern crap arguments, not just in perspective, but makes most of them rather silly.

So many people act like they understand the Constitution, but most people hve no idea what the heck they are talking about. 98% of the U.S. couldn't name half the Supreme Court Justices if you asked them, and these people are voting. Citizenship is a joke in the country today. Every decade it has gotten worse despite the privileges of education having increased. People are OK with being ignorant.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-05-2019 at 08:59 PM.

In the Author's "Foreward" for "The Fields", Conrad Richter thanks first a work given to him by Henry Howe.

It turns out Henry Howe is a goldmine of early American life, obtained by Howe himself traveling house to house from 1840 to 1860, being the first Author to do so for the States of Ohio, New Jersey and Virginia.

I can't wait to lose myself in his works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Howe
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-07-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If you want to add a supplement to this eventually, reading histories and analyses of Supreme Court decisions along with reading the actual important documents effecting the United States since 1600 will not only fill in a lot of gaps, but is as educational of a study as one can get. Puts all of the modern crap arguments, not just in perspective, but makes most of them rather silly.

So many people act like they understand the Constitution, but most people hve no idea what the heck they are talking about. 98% of the U.S. couldn't name half the Supreme Court Justices if you asked them, and these people are voting. Citizenship is a joke in the country today. Every decade it has gotten worse despite the privileges of education having increased. People are OK with being ignorant.
    I did read a very good biography on John Marshall, Without Precedent. It was amazing all that he accomplished as Supreme Court justice. He set the tone for court that has carried forward for 200 years. He was one of the more amazing individuals I have read about in American history.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-07-2019)

I did read a very good biography on John Marshall, Without Precedent. It was amazing all that he accomplished as Supreme Court justice. He set the tone for court that has carried forward for 200 years. He was one of the more amazing individuals I have read about in American history.
    I need to read that. (I went to John Marshall H.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I need to read that. (I went to John Marshall H.S.)
    Was that HS in Falls Church, Va? If so I used live very near that about 25 years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Was that HS in Falls Church, Va? If so I used live very near that about 25 years ago.
    Portland, OR

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?